1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC canine

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Lord Bear, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Would love to have a dog. While my father was alive we always had a dog. All of them named "Happy". Still remember finding Happy after he had chewed through his cage and gotten away at the airport when our family moved back to the states from Korea. Probably thought "what a GOOD human". However since I now clock 60-70 hours weekly at work, it would be unfair to the faithful companion. (After divorce, gave companion away for that reason.) Have space (to run around and chase things, reading the doggy newspaper of new and interesting scents), not time.
    Saw "A Boy and His Dog" on Turner Clics the other day. (Not the Harlan Ellison story.) Cried at the end of "Old Yeller" when I saw it as a young boy. Like a BABY! I can't believe how much this fictional dog's death hurt my heart! Father actually had to comfort me. (By the way, this grand old man shed a few himself.) GREAT movie. BAD bear.
    Miss my old companions. Got any good shaggy dog stories?

2. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I hadn't had a dog in many years and really didn't think much about getting one. In '04 I had congestive heart failure due to an infection and almost died. After my doctor of course told me I needed to excersize and watch my salt intake and I had to go on disability. I got pretty depressed, mostly sat around the house doing nothing, which of course was not making my condition better. Then a friend of Mine got a Border collie mix from the Rescue Shelter. She'd just gotten a new house and decided she had to have a dog. She really didn't think it through though, and picked a breed needing alot of attention. She works nights and has cles a couple days a week which made things worse. So, she enlisted Me to dog sit for her a few days a week. That's how I met Lacey, a (then) year and a half old Border Collie mix. I started just watching her and playing with her in the house and yard, soon I was walking her about a mile in the mornings. Then My friend got a membership at the local Dog Park and I started taking Lacey there. I was having a great time getting out of the house, playing with the dogs and even socializing with the other owners.
    It was at the Dog Park I met a woman who was looking for a home for her father's dog. He'd been ill and they bought him the dog as a puppy to be a companion dog. He ped away when the dog was just 2yrs old and his daughter didn't think she could keep the dog. This is how I met Shiloh. I wasn't sure at first that I should take her in, but she and I bonded almost right off. She's an English Shepherd and they tend to be a little skittish of people and usually one person dogs. Of course I did take her. There was no real separation anxiety from her last 'family' to me and I've had her almost a year now. My health has gotten much better, I walk with Shiloh at least 4 miles a day often more. I still watch Lacey at night and sometimes on weekends, she and Shiloh are like sisters and love to play together. I had been living with a roommate when I got Shiloh, but soon after I felt better enough to get my own place again. Things are going alot better for Me since Lacey and Shiloh. My health is better, My attitude is better. Shiloh and I walk to the park sometimes just to sit and have lunch. I'll carry a small pack, and Shiloh (a canine edc'er in the making) carries her saddle bag pouches with her food, bowl and snacks. She gets alot of comments and smiles from other park goers. And she loves her saddle bags. She's a working breed, they like to feel they're doing something constructive.
    This summer I plan on a few overnight camping trips. I used to spend alot of time camping and hiking and I miss it. My health is good enough now that as long as I don't over do it, it should be fine. I've got friends who'll go with me if nothing else. But I'm really looking forward to taking Shiloh. I know she'll enjoy it.
    I love a good dog movie. I grew up reading stories like White Fang, Call of the Wild. I've lately read a couple of the Jon Katz books. My favorite is 'A Dog Year'. The movie wasn't too bad either. Men and Dogs have had a bond since man was still wearing furs. It just seems to come natural. No shame in shedding a tear over a good dog movie!

3. JerryD

JerryD Loaded Pockets

When I’m home from summer break, when I go about anywhere other than work I EDC a dog. I have too many dog stories to even begin, but since "a picture is worth a thousand words," I'll be brief.
    [​IMG]

4. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

This is one of three that I edc most of the time
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. Talkingstick

Talkingstick Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple of Rottweiler mixes to watch the backyard; but recently there was this stray in the neighborhood, a pit mix.
    He was all torn up from fighting other dogs and the neighborhood gangsters had been in the habit of showing their manhood by generally mistreating him. Really pitiful case.
    He wandered up onto my car port, so we doctored him all up, fed him real good and gave him a dog house.

Now, I've got a dog to watch the front of the house; he seems to take great joy in clearing the street of gangsters. Loyal as the day is long.

Too bad that some folks can't be more like dogs.

6. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Car alarm? We don't need no stinkin' car alarms... :evilgrin:

[​IMG]

7. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Not much of a tacti-dog, but a wonderful companion. His name's roly.

8. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

you could always go Paris Hilton and EDC a pooch in your maxped...

9. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

I suppose Roly is more of an EDC dog than a larger one, because, although not carried, he does go almost everywhere every day.

<-- Hey, I've found my new avatar!

10. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

This is Loki. I rescued him from impending doom when he was a puppy. He goes everywhere but work with me. He went to work with me once, but he didn't like the smell and refuses to go back.
    He is my best bud.

I built a harness system for my mountain bike, and now I never even have to touch the peddles. I suppose it is in his genes.
    He is my third Husky, but my first Siberian. A fine dog.

11. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Loki is absolutely beautiful. Great name. Hope you're not close to equator?

12. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Oh by the way!!!! You must come forth about the "impending doom". No way you're getting away without sharing.

13. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Oh, by the way by the way...Do all dogs natually look submissive in a tub?

14. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I had cared for enough Huskies that I knew their personality when I named this one. He is a trickster and I swear he must shapeshift into a field mouse sometimes because he can get out of a 3 inch hole under a chain link fence. Also, there is the whole Nordic/cold country connection, so I felt Loki was a fitting name.

Okay, the impending doom. The way I heard it, a Navy family had bought him as a pup and was living in a trailer park/fishing camp owned by a dear friend of the family. They apparently had to move and could not take the puppy with them to their new abode.Their answer to this problem, leave a 4 month old husky behind to fend for itself.

The dog hung around the trailer park/fish camp, and took to the owner/friend of the family. Now, he is an active fellow, and a nice guy, but is 86 years old. The puppy had a habit of stealing his hat as he lay under trailers doing work, or tripping him up as he walked around. After a couple of weeks, he was fed up and was going to call animal control to come pick up the dog.

I live in South Mississippi (just North of Pascagoula, on the coast), and the shelter here is a kill shelter. Ever since Katrina, the shelter has been over full with strays, so the dogs there do not get much of a chance at adoption. He might have got a week tops before they put him down.

I got wind of the situation (I live near the fishing camp) and as luck would have it, was wanting a dog at the time. We had just built a house and was ready for a pet. I took the dog in, cleaned him up, started feeding him right, and he has been a happy member of the family ever since. He was 5 months old when I got him, and is about 21 months old now.

I don't know if all dogs do, but he usually does. I woke him up in that picture, he likes to sleep in the tub (we call it his ceramic hammock). I suppose it is cooler for him than our bed (his other favorite spot). We have a 4 month old daughter, so we keep it a little warmer in the house than he is used to. He loves the baby though. Sleeps by her crib at night, tries to clean her like a puppy. They are fast friends.

The summers aren't too bad for him here. I bought a kiddie pool for him and keep it full of water during the day when he is outside. There is always plenty of shade too. We live on the river, and he loves to swim, so on rough days, or after a run, he spends a lot of time in the water.

15. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Glad you didn't name him Ithaqua! LOL (CCD reference). Ahhh. A happy ending to what could have been a potential disaster. Good stuff. Thanks for relating. As for the animal shelters in that area, I fully understand the need for what they are forced to do. That's one job I couldn't do, putting man's best friend to sleep. Over and over again. No way, no how. Shoot ME first. Hopefully the need for this policy will evaporate sooner not later.

16. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Heh, I would rather not press my luck by invoking one of the Great Old Ones every time the dog runs off!

As far as the shelter job, I agree. That has to be a really rough gig, one that I could never do. I'd end up with a house full of dogs...

17. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

Lucky Loki! Lucky you, beautiful dog.

18. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Now that is just too funny! I'll have to remember that one! LOL

19. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Alliteration Corbs? You should be ashamed of yourself. ;-)

20. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

Here's my EDC K9:

[​IMG]