1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

edc/camping light suggestions

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by B-Lang, Mar 2, 2015.

1. B-Lang

B-Lang Empty Pockets

Hey guys, noob here. I am looking at getting a new light. I am looking to use it as a larger more powerful edc light that will be carried on camping trips as well as edc. I would like it to be pretty reliable because it will be used in the deep wilderness. I'm thinking about going with a 2x cr123 light but I can be swayed to other options. I don't want to spend any more than 75$ on it. I have been looking at the fenix pd35 but I would like to hear some more experienced opinions.

dml24 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend a headlight for camping, much better than having to hold something in your hand. Plus when combined with a water bottle full of water, it makes a makeshift lantern. :)

If you're set on having a light in your hand, the pd35 is a great choice output vs price.

I tend to carry both, being out in the woods miles away from the closet civilization isn't where I want a light to pick that time to fail.

Wishoot, BklynBoy, Sriracha and 7 others like this.
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Agree with snaplok, headlamp for camping. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Black Diamond Storm.

sungame, GatorMedic, snaplok and 2 others like this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I use my EDC flashlights in aftermarket headbands or with DIY wallet necklamp cords and lantern diffusers. There's tons of choices, but the most important things for me while camping are a floody beam (XML in <1" head) and good low lows (~0.3 to 3 lms, for me). I usually seem to be the odd man out on this, but I find the extreme contrast of bright light and/or tight high lux hotspots, against the pitch black of camping, to be annoying for continuous use. Kinda like watching a bright TV in a pitch black room.

5. rm3482

rm3482 Loaded Pockets

High fan of the Black Diamond Storm myself. Started out with one and now I have four. Use one in my bags, one at work, one in my truck and one in the garage. Great for working out doors prepping for camp!

GatorMedic likes this.
  6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I hate camping so take this with a grain of salt...but the people who do mention that low modes are more important than bright ones. At least for pocket lights.

If I was looking for a camp light to carry around and blast into the fields I would prob get a "coke can" type that takes a number of AA's and has a XM-L2 or something. Nice throw and output; easy to charge cells.

reppans likes this.
  7. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Fenix PD35. Then when funds allow get a Black Diamond Spot headlamp (or the Storm if that's your preference) and a Streamlight Siege lantern :)

8. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

i use the E35 UE, got it for the wide beam, 3 modes +1 burst where you have to press and hold but it takes 18650 or 2CR123a its near the 50 dollar mark.

9. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

You could get a myriad of flashlights and lanterns...but definitely get a headlamp too.

sungame likes this.
  10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I prefer a good headlight, and a small flashlight as backup.

A headlight is immensely better for camping purposes than something you need to hold with a hand, your cheek, your teeth etc. Anything from cooking via eating to well, eh, the opposite end of the food chain, so to speak, is a lot easier when you have your hands free. And if you've ever tried to pitch a tent in the pouring rain and total darkness while holding a flashlight in one hand, you will not want to try it ever again.

OK, her comes the swaying;): I know cr123s are the thing with american flashlight aficionados. Also, they are apparently a lot easier to find, not to mention cheaper, on your side of the pond.Still, I would recommend something that takes AA or AAA. Of course, they (especially the AAAs) do not pack the punch that cr123s do. Still, I think the benefits more than make up for this little downside.

I have no reliable source for this, but I believe AA must be the most common and widespread battery format on earth. It powers everything from toy cars via flashlights to the remote control for my TV and my wireless keyboard. They can be bought from just about any store that sells anything at all. I have personally bought them from a newspaper stand in Paris, a 7-11 in Kota Kinabalu, countless gas stations in Norway, Sweden and Denmark and the cramped and overpriced (in)convenience stores at numerous camping lots.

AAAs pack a bit less punch, but are almost as common. Also, they are smaller and lighter. That may be why many headlights run on those instead of the more powerful AAs.

Most headllights and flashlights that take one of these battery types accept both standard alkalines and rechargeable batteries (either NiMH or lithium). I recommend getting a charger and two sets of rechargeable batteries. That way, you can keep one set in the light at all times, with another in reserve or chargeing. If both sets run out of juice on a camping trips, you can buy a pack of alkalines in any halfway civilized location.

There are many good headlamps out there, but the best one I've personally tried is the Led Lenser H7.2. It runs on four AAAs, and has a maximum output of 250 lumens. Also, it is dimmable, from moonlight to full blast, and the focus can be adjusted from a narrow, far-throwing beam to full flood. You should be able to pick one up between $50 and $70. If only it took AAs, it would have been perfect. As it is, it is still great!

11. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The Fenix PD35 is worth considering, as it is a versitile light. Look at the Maratac 2XAA Rev 2, 620 lumens on high from two AA batteries!

Consider one of Fenix's HP series of headlamps. Many run on 2 or 4 AA batteries. A Goal Zero Guide 10 can easily charge AA batteries to allow one to keep the lights on.

Last edited by dml24, Mar 3, 2015
    keith1234 likes this.
  12. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

Exactly this. I know people who have dropped their lights in the "opposite end of the food chain". lol
    Pitching a tent and tying/adjusting lines is much easier. I have tried while holding or setting a light in some position to see and it is not a great experience.

Jetbeam has a nice one that I've been considering. 800 lumens and it comes with an 18650 for under $40.
    Even Energizer has a decent one that you can get at any big box store.

keith1234 and twin63 like this.
  13. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

Get a 2 AA led maglite with the sheath and if it don't go on right away just whack it or adjust the batteries a little bit

keith1234 likes this.
  14. Tom_J

Tom_J Loaded Pockets

Petzl also make great headlights. The Tikka range are pretty good, I have had one for years and it's served me well for camping. I also take my Fenix LD22 with a white wand/diffuser and tail stand it to use as a lantern. Works pretty well in a tent, if I can stand it on something flat of course! To be honest any light could be used because even if it can't tail stand, you could probably hang it from the tent using some cordage or something.

keith1234 likes this.
  15. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I like the ZebraLight H52w I just got a few weeks ago. 1×AA, can use alkaline, NiMh/Eneloop, lithium and Li-Ion. Up to 280 lm with Eneloop, up to 500 lm with Li-Ion.

Tixx and keith1234 like this.
  16. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Yes on the headlamp! For $75 you can get a Bushnell 250 lumen headlamp that runs on readily available AA. (3 of them) and a nice Clarus collapsible lantern, and still have enough left over for bacon to cook while camping!!

keith1234 likes this.
  17. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I am not a camper but i would also think hands free while having a foody light sounds like a good idea but would pair it up with solid throwy handheld when necessary.

i like my Fenix HL50 for its battery versatility, for more power and smaller size it can use cr123 but also comes with an extension that snugs a AA in there. It is also designed to be removed from the headband strap and handheld. The UI is not my favorite but at least it is not a twisty. I also dislike the turbo mode activation.

For the handheld i think the Fenix PD35 would be an awesome light, if you want to stick with easy to find batteries i have fallen in love with my Nitecore EA41. Both have my preffered UI of 2 seperate buttons, easy on/off (with memory) then a seperate button to change modes. PD35 (more tacticool) tailcap forward clicky , momentary on, whilst the EA41 power button is reverse clicky near the head, rear of the mode button. The EA41 has a cool power button beacon mode as well as button lockout options. Very cool little light that packs a punch.

I also have Streamlight Seige lantern, D version, that I think is mighty impressive. It floats, can be hung many ways to Sunday, looks pretty durable, red light, low battery indicator and diffuser can be removed for use as an overhead light and more.

Too bad I am not a camper...

GatorMedic likes this.
  18. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I use the Ultimate Survival Technologies 30-Day lantern. Runs on D cells, low provides 29 lumens for upto 30 days on fresh batteries. I have not tested the run time.

One website, (thesw**thome), reported these results:

19. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

My thoughts exactly. I only use single cell. No reason to complicate things with 2 cell lights. I currently own 5 of these. In my cars, my bob and in my edc pack.

20. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

I have used a 4Sevens MiNi 123 in a headband for hands free night use and love it. I also would suggest a light with a focus beam. They can be had on the cheap for around 15 shipped. I have yet to have any problems with the one I ordered several years ago. Here's a beam shot of a $15 US shipped focus beam light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The tree is over 100 feet away.
    [​IMG]
    The light takes AAA's, cr123, rcr123 and 18650

ManVsLawn, Nicrod and theirishboxer like this.