1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Camera?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by hafpit, Jun 27, 2011.

1. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

Wow, that post was from a while ago.:cool:
    At that time, I carried my iPhone 3. After I upgraded to the 4s, I was so impressed with the quality of the phone camera that I stopped carrying my Nikon. When I started seeing the phone pictures in higher resolution on an iPad I began carrying my Nikon again.:frantic:

2. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I love my lumix camera I'm planning on getting a newer model soon. Phones are great but I like controlling the settings on my cameras.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

3. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

SLR Cameras are larger, but if you want the right pics I believe you need one.
    I have a Canon Rebel t3, and it is endless fun to take pics-and added plus is they always look AWESOME!
    I'm still an amateur, but the camera seems to do all the hard work ;)

I do know that canon makes a really good point and shoot, the Powershot ELPH 110, and the reviews are crazy good.

4. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

I've also heard that a few of the panasonic lumix's are very good!

5. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Between wife and I, we've had three Panasonic Lumix cameras over 5-6 years. No complaints.

Current EDC. The case might seem like overkill, but camera toted in nasty environments (for digital cameras) ... Arizona desert, with gritty sand and heat ... ATV rides ... tossed about irreverently inside a Jeep ... whitewater rafting ... dayhikes.

P1100688.JPG

P1100692.JPG

P1100698.JPG

I had decided to get "serious" again by getting a DSLR (abandoned my film 35mm Pentax years ago), but after reading bigfoot's post, reading reviews here, and reading about the APS-C format here, now I'm not so sure. This seems like a happy compromise between P&S and DSLR. Now I'm back to square one! Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by xbanker, Dec 29, 2012
  6. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Yeah their Lumix DMC series are really good and get better with each model. Their perfect for when I need a camera. Never found a need for a larger more expensive SLR camera for myself. But one camera is on my worst list is the Nikon S01 horibble camera I returned it the next day after buying it. Bad quality images and only internal battery only.

7. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Aww, that's too bad. It's a cute little thing.

I have a Pentax Q but I don't carry it as often because of its lens. Same reason I don't carry the DSLR often.

+1 for the Lumix. My friends and I got one for our other friend when she graduated and she really likes it. :)

Warfusion likes this.
  8. DirtHerder

DirtHerder Loaded Pockets

I'm primarily an NEX shooter as well. Great cameras. Very capable and pretty small for what it is.

However I've recently acquired and started using a Sony RX100 as well. Same philosophy as the NEX (redefining a category of camera by cramming the largest/best sensor they can in the smallest form factor they can) and the thing is pretty amazing. Of course Sony did this very same thing AGAIN when they released the RX1 (full frame sensor in a camera only slightly larger than a RX100/comparable in size to a NEX). The images I have seen coming out of that camera have been sick. The RX1 is a bit pricey though... a bit too rich for my blood though... at the moment anyway. ;-)

The NEX is always with me (along with a few lenses) in my EDC bag... but I've got my RX100 on me ALL the time in my pocket.

Highly recommend them both.

9. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Wow, there's an understatement ($2800). :)

Since you've used both the NEX and the RX100, do you have a preference for one over the other (putting prices aside)?

10. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

RX100 would be my EDC cam of choice.

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Been through a couple more P&S cameras in the last while... I believe in the past post I was still working with my Canon 400d, Panasonic GF2 and Panasonic FX37.

The FX37 met its end on a kayaking trip - the drybag kept it perfectly dry even with the kayak the wrong way up and me rather more wet than intended, but sadly didn't help when I fumbled it taking a photo and dropped it into the 2" of water in the bottom of the boat after the earlier rollypoly adventures.
    Bought a Canon IXUS220, which was tiny and rather good, but I never quite clocked with.
    Bought a Panasonic SZ7 as a potential replacement, but returned it after discovering the shockingly poor viewing angle of the LCD (pretty much unusable at anything other than perfect eye height - something I expect of a camera from 2006, not 2012)
    Returned the SZ7, sold the IXUS220 anyway, bought a Canon SX220 instead.

Currently still liking the SX220 alongside the bigger toys, but am back to thinking I should get myself a tiny pocket camera again as the SX220 is a bit big to stuff in a pocket on the way out...

I really shouldn't spend any more money on cameras, but well...

12. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I often take with me my Nikon D700 D-SLR and on it I often have a Prime lens, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G, it´s really compact and light.

[​IMG]

And sometimes I change to the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G lens, when i know i can go closer or something in that order.

13. DirtHerder

DirtHerder Loaded Pockets

Heh yeah, I suppose you are right.

Though if you take into account what it gives you, and the quality of the lens and sensor in that little beast, the pricing probably isn't that far off.

As for which I prefer between a NEX and an RX100... that's kind of a hard comparison to make as it's a bit of an apples to oranges things.

I like my NEX when I want to be "taking photographs" if you know what I mean.

But I love my RX100 when I am in a setting where I want to really blend in (plus I just love the image quality I can get out of something I can fit in my pants pockets).

As to which I would recommend to someone... If the person wants flexibility and the best performance (as well as room to grow) between the two I would recommend a NEX.

If the person wants the camera with the least fuss but still a lot of capability and great image quality (not quite that achievable by the much larger sensor in the NEX, but still great given the large-ish sensor in the RX100 - relative to its form factor + the nice Zeiss glass), and a camera that is more discrete and casual, I would recommend the RX100.

If money was no object and I wanted to start with the absolute best image quality between the three of them... I would recommend picking up an RX1... and then an RX100 and a NEX later (hey I said "if money was no object" right? ;-)

jacobwilson99 likes this.
  14. jacobwilson99

The RX1 is INSANITY. 24MP full frame censor??
    And I thought my 5D mk ii was pretty cool. :(

mooshisho likes this.
  15. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Thanks for sharing your useful perspective. Afraid an RX1 isn't in my immediate future ... if I wanted it badly enough, I'd somehow rationalize the expense ... but then there's that pesky little matter of maintaining my marriage. :D

jacobwilson99 likes this.
  16. jacobwilson99

So...what I'm hearing is that I should buy the RX1 just before I tie the knot? ;)

DirtHerder likes this.
  17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

You're a quick study! :) And in addition to the RX1, anything else that might fail the dreaded "Why do you need that?" test. Because I want it will no longer suffice. Post nuptials, it's essential that one have a strategy 30 years' experience speaking. :D

DirtHerder and jacobwilson99 like this.
  18. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My wife made a little mistake when she said "An interest isnt an interest if it doesnt cost"....

xbanker and jacobwilson99 like this.
  19. jacobwilson99

Well...time to open up a few more credit cards. :X

xbanker likes this.
  20. jacobwilson99

What a gal!!