1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Camera?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by hafpit, Jun 27, 2011.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Why do those with XAs also have a MJU2 ?
    Everybody i have met with a mju2 also has an XA, or the other way round, must be a dozen people i know with both, but noone with just one.

(I own neither, but have a pair of mju waterproof digitals - "stylus" models in the US)

2. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

I'm a collector not a photographer,to be honest.So my suffer from GAS (GearAcquisitionSyndrom) is normal.But when it comes to the connection between mju-2 and XA: Both cameras are the smallest in their categorie and also the most affordable out there: Most other point&shot analogfilm cameras that have the features of the mju-2 (Stylus Epic) are bigger,not so robust or suffer from bad imagequality.Its small,light and practical
    But when you want more control over aperture,shutterspeed and focus,to play with, the best here is the XA.Its the smallest rangefinder camera ever made and you have a good aperturepriotrity autoexposure to shot reasonably fast,and control depth of field.Its also small,light and practical

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I currently have two XA2's and no mju's if that spoils your theory at all ;)

Would love to get hold of the original XA, but can't really justify spending more money on film cameras given how many I possess...

4. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

and dont forget the potential of the internet to create hypes,no one of us is proof to that.

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

True - the internet is great at driving hype, causing many to purchase stuff, i am as guilty as anyone else of buying stuff that has been hyped up by the internet (ipad, atwoods, canon 1d, and many others)

Narcosynthesis has ruined the pattern i saw forming anyway !

6. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

No general rule without exception.But to make your rule work:I have 2 XA's,3 XA2's,2 Mju-1's, 3 Mju-2's.I know i have issues's but i'm working on that...

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you have GAS worse than i do although mine are mostly digital (mju790, mju1030, fuji X100, 2x canon 1dmk1, 2x canon 1dmk2n, 350d, Leica M240 and film Eos300 and Olympus OM2, plus my wife has another 3-4 P+S, and i have two work issued 1DX too)

8. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

My GAS comes from my historical-museal interest and is more about the cheaper and smaller non-SLR consumer cameras.I just buy at fleamarkets for a bargain price.But i'm now at a point where i get rid of some and save my money for something more serious.

9. WolvesGoHowl

WolvesGoHowl Loaded Pockets

I've got an old Canon SD600 from 2006 that I use. Works well enough for me!
    [​IMG]

10. sld

sld Loaded Pockets

I still carry and use the SD 450. Great little camera.

WolvesGoHowl likes this.
  11. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Was talking about this with a friend recently. Seems to me for an EDC camera (other than the one on the phone and tablet) a go pro is a good option unless you are carrying it to do serious high quality photography on the spur of the moment, in which case you need to lug around a DSLR.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

12. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not entirely true.. A mirror-less camera like the Panasonic Lumix GX7 is a top of the line camera. And pretty compact.. ;)

13. Rebelmoon

Rebelmoon Loaded Pockets

It's not really a EDC I carry on my person, but I do carry a camera backpack in my work van. I do a bit of Photography as a hobby and traveling you never know when something might be worth taking a shot of. I carry a Canon DSLR with a general purpose lens, telephoto lens, flash and a monopole. Sometimes I can schedule my time and route to stop by certain spots to take some shots.

. [​IMG]

This shot is actually the MS River bridge in my hometown although I've reduced the resolution for posting.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Rebelmoon, Aug 30, 2014
  14. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

You are correct of course.

I tend to just lump the DSLM/CSC/Mirrorless/EVIL cameras in with the DSLRs because there is no official name for the class and for most users they are functionally the same. Folks will argue about the electronic view finder and the contrast based autofocus of course, but to the average user those don't really make a difference.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

Joost Heijnen likes this.
  15. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not a pro, but I've traded my dslr with four really good lenses for the gx7 with the 20mm f1,7 and the 14-140mm lens. Love the combination..

In our store more and more people switch from dslr to mirror less camera's. Image quality is the same. Auto focus is way faster than on a dslr which is more expensive.

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Snap.

Earlier this year I sold off my Canon SLR kit in favour of a GX7 (same lenses too) and the GM1 and couldn't be happier - A fraction of the size and weight, and the image quality is right up there (definitely leagues ahead of the older SLR I was using before). The GM1 especially is a great option if you want something small and portable, yet something with the quality of an SLR, mine lives in my bag pretty much permanently (with either the 12-32mm or 14mm lens)

Joost Heijnen likes this.
  17. LilleBror

LilleBror Loaded Pockets

I EDC my Sony Alpha 58 w/18-55 & 70-300 and Sony NEX 5R with some old lenses for fun and my Sony Action cam AS 15.

Nicolaj

18. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not if you compare Autofokus on Pro bodys and Pro Lenses. With the Pro bodys and lenses the ruggedness to weather conditions is good too...

19. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Yep, an old slow geardrive "kitlens" will be slow to focus, the pro level (or even mid range) ultrasonic ring motored lenses are very quick.
    I wouldnt put too much faith in the "weatherproofing" on most cameras, i have seen a few weathersealed "pro" cameras ruined by tiny amounts of water (actually gatorade in one case)

20. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been out in rain several times with my Nikon D700, No problem at all...

Even been out a few hours in the winter with the temerature down to -30 deg.C , no problem there either.

The lenses i had then was Nikon 14-24mm f/2,8G and Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G. Both great lenses.

From Northern Sweden