1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Camera?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by hafpit, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Kilgore99

Kilgore99 Loaded Pockets

I ended up buying a Canon A4000 IS HD. It has proven to be an amazing camera, especially for taking pictures in Italy. It's cheap, compact and carries a whole lotta punch (punch is measured in 16.1 megapixels).

2. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I have a Canon Powershow 310 ELPH .. It gets used at Christmas time the most, it records in 1080P too ...Great point-and-shoot camera

3. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I just got an iPhone 5S. The slo mo cam on it is pretty cool. Takes nice shots. Got the accompanying lifeproof case as we'll. but it still won't beat my Olympus.

4. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I'm glad that there are other EDCfans, that are also interessted in Photography, so here is my short description of the cameras:

The Olympus Mju-2 (or Stylus Epic for you US-Guys) from 1997 (the right camera) is THE essential EDC Point&Shot Analog Filmcamera:

-Its one of the smallest and the lightest good-quality 35mm-film Cameras ever build.175g with Film and Battery!
    -Flash for night/indoortshots, also up to 4 sec Shutterspeed for flashless nightshots.
    -Its capable for diffucult lightsituations with its spotmetering mode.
    -operates on a CR123 Litium Battery, everywhere availeable, enough Power for 20 Rolls of Film(24 Frame per Roll) with 50% of Flashuse.
    -its dustproof and splashwaterresistant,which is great in rainy weather and you dont need a camera case. Thats nothing common on filmcameras.
    In fact its that perfect that it bores me sometimes to shoot with it, theres nothing much to do, so a get myself a

Olympus XA from 1979 (the camera in the middle):

-2x 1,5V Silveroxid Coincells, enough for years of use
    -Selectable Aperture/Shutter, Exact Focuspoint, Death of Field and Over/underexposure possibilitys gives you full control for serious Photographing, not just picturetaking. Its the camera for more toughtfull, carefull composing photosessions.All in a pocketsize Camera.
    But sometimes its a little to fiddly and slow to operate, so i get myself a

Olympus XA2 from 1980 (not in the Picture, but looks almost the same as the XA):

-Autoexpose and Zonefocusing makes it lightning fast to operate.You can shoot instantly.You even dont need to look thru the Viewfinder and aim,thanks the Zonefocusing you can shoot from the hip.
    -It opearates Silent.Nobody will recognise it.
    -Whe you use the Viefinder you will be surprised, it has the best Viewfinder of the bunch, almost-real, bright, clear glass, so its truely a joy for your eye to use.
    All that makes the XA2 a better camera for candid Streetshot than the XA or the Mju-2.

(The Olympus 35 RC from 1970 (left on the pic) doesnt get much use these times. The others are better pocketable and fit more in my EDC philosophy.Perhaps next Springtime...)

These 3 little shooters are great for everyday carry, they offer great image quality and sturdy build for a very reasonable price. All in a pocket-size package.

My recommendations:

-Olympus Mju-2 for the one, who wants a tough,lightweight,alround camera with good features but simple use.

-Olympus XA for the playfull photographer, who wants full controll over the Image and experimenting.

-Olympus XA2 for the streetninja who wants to capture dicrete the city, or for the funshooter, who wants enjoy the scene instead of looking on his camera.

Last edited by sino2, Jan 3, 2014
  5. thaeffman

thaeffman Loaded Pockets

^ I just got an XA off eBay a few days ago can't wait to get it :D. I've been looking a super compact stealthy camera I can carry around everywhere and the XA fits that description perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

6. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

swany66675 likes this.
  7. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

If you just use manual focus af isn't needed :) Well it may just be me but I hate af of anytype I prefer as manual as I can get. Any ways I tried a few cameras of the samsung nex line I dislike all of them The controls I like the lenses are all not good in my eyes in terms of sharpness and smoothness of focusing and zooming feels like there is sand in it. I didn't like the interface for the prices they were I think I read 400-800 I would tell you to not get one much better options out there.

vinniec5 likes this.
  8. khclarkson

khclarkson Loaded Pockets

My father in law had always kept a Kodak disposable in his vehicles for accidents and stuff. I picked up that habit too. Now with the phone it's a bit redundant but there's nothing wrong with that right? ;)

Sent by carrier pigeon

9. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Depending on where you live, I'm not sure if camera film will endure the huge temperature fluctuations from sub-freezing cold to greenhouse broiling in the summer sun, that car interiors experience. Just a heads up.

10. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

But that temperature fluctuations can give your photos a extra kick, see lomography for details. Disposal filmcameras are a nice way to analog photography as it reduces the hurdle to shoot ordinary things seen in everyday situations. Some of these snapshots come out very good.

11. CowpokeJake

CowpokeJake Loaded Pockets

For a long time I kept a Fujifilm REAL 3D W3 camera in the pocket of my canvas vest. It's not the smallest or lightest camera, but it does fit in that pocket neatly. And it takes 3D stereo photos! It turns out, some subjects really benefit greatly from 3D. It can do a few other tricks too. There's a mode where it takes a telephoto (zoom) shot with one lens while taking a wide shot with the other. These cameras have been discontinued, but you can pick them up for a song on fleaBay.

My biggest gripes... It's hard to compose shots on the LCD in bright sunlight. And... Viewing the photos in 3D anywhere other than the back of the camera (which is good, but small) gets tricky. Most of us don't have 3D monitors or tablets yet, though some do exist. And... None of my regular photo programs (iPhoto, Aperture, etc.) work with stereo images, so doing anything with them is like going back to the 1990s. Awkward.

And, let's face it, the iPhone can take pretty decent photos.

12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I remember playing with one of those when they were first released, they had a HD tv and glasses set up near by, and it would play the pics back on the TV (it was at a camera show- PMA Australia show)
    Pretty cool little cam, but the rest of the supporting stuff isnt really there yet

13. tacos3

tacos3 Loaded Pockets

My iPhone 5 does a great job for me. Once the photo is taken, emailing or messaging or posting it makes it very effortless to use.

northwest291 likes this.
  14. gdanonym

gdanonym Loaded Pockets

Canon Powershot S100

15. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Iphones are great [probably other phones' cams too, but I'm not as up on them as I am the iphones] and will almost certainly replace my need to EDC a dedicated camera in the next few incarnations [I estimate 5 years for my basic, day to day snap shot needs, not to say I wont lug other cameras along on some occasions].

There was an interesting leak today which shows that Apple is actively pursuing concepts such as optical zoom lens using periscope like add-ons, interchangeable lens, ring flash attachments, etc. Very interesting stuff. Do a web search using this line to find the article I just read by Barney Britton at dpreview Connect:

Apple's magnetic solution for adding lenses to iPhone camera

16. dmwhiteman

dmwhiteman Loaded Pockets

I always have my phone on me, but keep my d3000 close by.

17. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

why i love this camera:its follows the same design guidlines, a good pocketgem should do:
    small,rectangular but roundish edges and forms,pebble-like surface texture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

Mine is the iPhone 5. Mrs. Pettimore? Well, let's see... She has her iPhone 5S (which has a great camera), and she alternates between the Fuji EX1 and EX2. Sometimes she also carries one of her Nikons (usually the D7000) if she needs to use a longer lens than they make for the Fuji.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  19. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

For now just my iPhone 5. When I find a camera that I really like and feel like carrying one all the time then I'll get one. It will most likely be when my son starts doing more things like sports and stuff.

20. l_gong

l_gong Loaded Pockets

Olympus Mju2 (Stylus Epic) or 5Dmk2

sino2 likes this.