1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Book

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by themadplumbarian, Jan 24, 2011.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Ive been looking online, and was wondering, what do you think is the best book, with the most info? obviously something not 8" x 11" x 2" thick, but a normal pocket book with some good info on outdoors, first aid, shelters, what to eat, and what not to eat, and other info? i stumbled on SAS Survival Handbook, For Any Climate, in Any Situation by John 'Lofty' Wiseman, there's a smaller version to it that is, SAS Survival Guide 2E, anyone have these? i would like to hear what you guys think of these, or what books you have, any input would be helpful.. thanks JR

2. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I got the second Wiseman book you mention for Christmas. It's a great little book loaded with survival info, and small enough to put in your jacket pocket. I still haven't found the time to read through the entire thing. I hope to do so soon though.

3. DESTRO

DESTRO Loaded Pockets

Looks like a good read. I did a search for "second Wiseman book" and the topic subject on Amazon was a little strange. :laugh: Modified the text string and got a better result.

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

skimming a book sounds like a great thing to do when you're bleeding profusely
    get a big book. read the book, learn what it says. better yet, get some training/practice.

if you insist on a book, get a pocket dictionary/thesaurus/physicians desk reference/etc. Books like that are usually printed on thin pages that would make good kindling.

5. themadplumbarian

LOL, that's the first laugh Ive had all day, but makes a good point! thin pages make good kindling! yet stay warm by burning the bible, then burn in hell, LOL!! oh thanks, i needed a good laugh, oh i feel so much better after a crappy day.. JR

6. jehan60188

yah, didn't think about that offending people, but seriously, if you're stranded in a survival situation you won't have time to use your numb-from-the-cold fingers to flip to the page about preventing hypothermia.
    survival needs to be a reflex, not a booklet that you refer to when the necessity comes up.

7. cameraman

cameraman Loaded Pockets

An excellent book to EDC is the Pocket Ref. It's not a survival guide, but it is pocket sized, has those thin pages jehan likes, and contains more knowledge than I could memorize in a lifetime. I keep one in my glove box, and have one in my go-bag.

8. themadplumbarian

Ive always wanted one of those, just to have.

9. Mdiggyy

Mdiggyy Empty Pockets

I completely agree with you. It's great to have these types of books but if you're going to get them, you should read them and learn what it is teaching beforehand.

10. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

You know I was thinking, even though I H A T E Apple (IDK why) don't they have an app for that?

11. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I had the handy mans helper, great source of knowledge on a job site. Still have measure for measure. Though I only use it to figure how many stone I think a person may weigh.

12. jehan60188

they don't have an app for that because that haven't been able to program the mic to understand people screaming in hysterics.

i can see it now- people get in accidents, and a "helpful" bystander rushes to the scene, opens his bag, digs around, pulls out his ipad case, opens the case, takes out the ipad, puts the case back in the bag, sets the bag on the ground (dont want to damage the other electronics in there), powers up the ipad, searches through the app menu, starts up the app, browses through THAT menu until reaching the conditions that he recognizes. then he starts reading the instructions while trained people have already started administering first aid...

13. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I forgot about the pucker factor...But I did see an awesome FAK (sort of) app. It's an EKG, you just click on the app and place the smartphone on the chest, unless it's ridden with bullets or gots a meat clever in it..but anyways..
    I've been looking for a field guide to edible plants of S.E. Texas since that is where I am, and most of the books I've found have all the plants, none of which match what I have seen around these parts.

14. jehan60188

edible plants. that's another one of those "use it for kindling" books. if you want food, eat bugs.
    you can go 3 weeks without food, and in that time you'll have the chance to test potential food using the "48 hour test" which basically exposes you to the food in increasing quantities over the course of 2 days. you basically rub the food on your arm, wait to see if there's any adverse effect. then you repeat, only escalating the level of exposure to the food.

15. cameraman

cameraman Loaded Pockets

Yes. The SAS Survival Guide app. I have it on my iPhone, though I don't delude myself that it may some day save me - it's a novelty. However, I won't knock it if it does help someone, I just expect my phone to be dead/broken/waterlogged/otherwise inoperable.

16. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

I have the "USA Manual" (Constitution etc.), The Bible and Appzilla (various utilities and conversions) on my iPhone and I carry a Pocket Ref in my backpack.

ETA: Also have the SAS guide and iPhone aid.

17. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

i have wrote down some survival hints, together with everyday practical hints, in my small moleskinelike journal. i also glued some parts of maps and other stuf my journal. its better to make my own book, with all i need and want, that buying a book, with some stuff in it i doesnt need, but makes bulk

18. Barkley666

Barkley666 Empty Pockets

I EDC my SAS Survival book in my BOB (I EDC my BOB in the car), goes in my hiking-bag when I go out in the mountains (buying a second one is on my wishlist). I EDC a digital copy on my laptop and usb drive.

Why? 1)It could be very handy in case I encounter a problem and don't know how to react (or can't remember how 2) the plant-guide is very nice to have 3)nice format, many pages and will last long to read

I'm also thinking about adding the bible in my BOB, because they come in small formats and will take a long time to read.