1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Bible?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Feralswine, May 8, 2012.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I know I am dragging up an old thread. But My old cheap new testament is done . I am looking for a nice new testament. I study with KJV and ESV bibles so I would like to stay with those translations
    I am looking for
    pocket size
    leather bond
    Red letter
    Psalms and Proverbs
    This is the most promising so far. any body know of anything else that fits my wants
    Crossway leather ESV Pocket New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs (won't let me post the link)
    Thanks
    Roy

2. Tony Walker

Tony Walker Empty Pockets

look for...

Lcbp New Testament 135

plumberroy likes this.
  3. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I have an old EDC Gideon testament to be replaced. But I have never known how to retire a Bible.

4. plumberroy

It is the words in it not the physical materiel that is sacred . I have an old new testament that is now duct tape bound and falling apart I will burn ( respectfully) when I come across it again in my keep boxes . If it is usable I would donate it to someplace that would get it into he hands some it may bless
    That is on my list of candidates
    thanks
    Actually what I will do is ,once I decide what I want I will put it om my Christmas list for my wife

5. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I always assumed places like "thrift" shops would throw away worn out Bibles. Donation is the way. Also I keep picking up Gideon New Testaments in various military camo patterns. And if any of these are still provided to our military members I would be surprised at that given our church vs state separation.

6. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

yes, gideons still sponsors hand outs of branch-specific camo patterned bibles.

7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I would have recommended the American Bible Society for anyone visiting New York. Unfortunately, after many years, their physical location in Manhattan closed down in mid 2015. I believe their website is still up, but not sure if they offer a very compact New Testament Bible.

9. plumberroy

I went with the ESV new testament. I have been edc'ing it for 2 weeks now , it is a good balance between big enough to read and small enough to carry. I actually put another N.T. in my edc bag to have a bible to give someone if they need/want a bible . When I carried a inexpensive N.T. I just gave them the one I had, now that I have a nice one I have an extra to give. Saying you don't have a bible to read doesn't work around me:D
    Roy
    [​IMG]

10. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I picked up a vest pocket ESV New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs with leather cover at Family Christian Store for $4.99. It's very small and carryable.

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

bump to merge.

12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

13. brisboy

brisboy Loaded Pockets

My wife and have decided that if we ever have throw out a Bible (because it's fallen apart) we replace it with one to give away or with a donation to the Bible society or similar.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Currently an Esv compact Bible. Full Bible. Very nice leather binding. Got it at Barnes & Noble's.

15. kmose73

kmose73 Empty Pockets

I use the Bible phone app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Guerilla

Guerilla Loaded Pockets

This +1

17. jeepfreak38

jeepfreak38 Loaded Pockets

Beautiful. You have any info on the Bible?

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I am Jewish; I attend a Hasidic synagogue - Chabad.

Electronically I edc the following:

> Prayer book with all prayers for the year in both English and Hebrew
    > Tehillim (in English you would call it Psalms); this is also in both English and Hebrew
    > I subscribe to a weekly publication that gives the weekly Torah chapter in English and Hebrew including commentary; also gives a weekly portion of Mishna ( what was once termed the 'oral law')

Additionally I have a physical sort of pocket size copy of Tehillim (psalms) in both Hebrew and English in my bag.

I took a little time and scanned through this thread. I noted with interest several people asked how to 'retire' a worn out Bible.

In Jewish tradition, one of two methods would be used. One method for sacred texts is to bury them. A second method used for centuries has been to store these texts in a dedicated room usually at a synagogue or at a cemetery. The storage room was known as a 'geniza'; a very famous one, centuries old is the Cairo Genizah, known to have approximately 300,000 documents. It was built in the year 882; sort of 'forgotten' and rediscovered in the year 1896. It has become a very important source for researchers. Link: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-cairo-genizah

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

WillAdams likes this.
  19. jeepfreak38

jeepfreak38 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Not a huge fan of the NCV version, but the size is perfect. And it's made of duct tape, so it's pretty indestructible.

IN OMNIA PARATUS.

20. Bdon

Bdon Loaded Pockets

I carry my phone everywhere so I just use a bible app. It has hundreds of version in multiple languages.

mizedog likes this.