1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC belt - Ares, 512 gear or SOE?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Ropes4u, Aug 2, 2013.

1. OEM1

OEM1 Loaded Pockets

I have a couple Spec-Ops belts that I wear for work/EDC and swear by them. It's a load bearing belt so it carries great. You won't even know your carrying anything.

2. ODLEON

ODLEON Loaded Pockets

I'm using a 5.11 trainer belt. Very comfortable carrying a Glock 23 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur all day. Love it for $40

3. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

This winter I plan on ordering a Volund Gearworks Cobra belt. It has a couple design features I like more than the Ares. ​

4. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the new Maverick belst by 5.11.
    I wanted a Cobra belt for years but could not be asked to dismantle it every time I changed trousers.
    5.11 have used a smaller buckle on one end so it just slide's through the belt loops.

5. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

7. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I have the SOE 1.5" Cobra belt.

+ Cobra buckle is awesome. Attach/detach in under a second. There's no way I'd put up with Velcro or rethreading during the course of a day, but such belts are popular too.
    + They are willing to customize: I didn't need the loop velcro lining so they made it without it.

+/- I like the fact that it's full 1.5" webbing all the way (not 1" on 1.5"). Fewer color/pattern options this way though.
    +/- It's quite stiff, but holds all my wannabe bat-belt stuff well. I've gotten used to the stiffness.
    +/- There's no D-ring attachment point on this model, if you care. I didn't need one.
    - The two layers of webbing are a little out of alignment. For a high-price, custom-made item, it's a bit disappointing. It doesn't detract from usefulness or anything, but I figure it's worth a mention for completeness.

8. Monty

Monty Loaded Pockets

9. lateapex

lateapex Loaded Pockets

Ares hands down. Used a few different items OCONUS and liked this the best. If I don't need to load gear on it and just I used a simple Patagonia nylon belt. Heavy use, kitted, hiking, training Ares gets the nod.

10. freeride

freeride Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a Wilderness belt for about four years, daily. No problems.

Also, full Velcro rebuild is $15.

11. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I know this an older thread, but I recently got a 5.11 Maverick belt and love it. It is a great solid belt, and the simple idea of using the 1 inch make Cobra buckle so you don't have to break it down is awesome.

12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Couldn't agree more. I have a Blackhawk Riggers and it's a royal pain.

That made me spit my coffee this morning. You made a funny. :D

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Since this thread was dug up from the dead...

I have a Ares Aegis on pre-order.

I like Cobra buckles but they are decidedly tactical in appearance and therefore IMHO not the best belt if you're doing concealed carry. I know the OP didn't mention that but that is a requirement of mine. The Aegis is interesting to me because it has their scuba webbing coupled with a belt buckle that is more civilian in appearance.

Anyway, I should get the Aegis later this month so I'll be posting a full review up on my site. I'll circle back here and share my initial impressions also.