1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC bag that can also be used for traveling.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Menteerio, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone I'm having trouble finding the best bag for me. I'm in the navy and travel a lot. I'm looking for a bag that is small enough to take on hikes in Hawaii, let large enough to carry my 15" toshiba laptop and other items when I travel. It would need to be carryon compatable, and black. A hydration ready bag would be great too. Any insight would be appreciated...also, molle doesn't hurt either. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. navajojoe

navajojoe Loaded Pockets

Hey brother,

I am in the same boat ... I travel a lot and am in the Marine Corps on Okinawa so flying is the only way to get anywhere. I would recommend either an Oakley Panel Pack or check out the new Vanquest packs. Good gear and low in price. Until you know what it is you for sure you want, don't spend the cash on the SUPER high end packs.

Good lucky brother!
    Navajo Joe
    "Keep your powder dry"

3. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

Funny you mention vanquest, I was just looking at them 10 mins ago. I love the idea of the vslingers but don't think my laptop would fit. I'll look at their standard backpacks. Thanks!

4. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

5.11 Rush 12

rr1071 and Ryan McKenzie like this.
  5. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The 511 AHP would fit the the bill. Great for organizing clothes plus other pockets for admin. Beaver tail comes handy for stowing light jacket or sweater!

Myrddraal likes this.
  6. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

going to jump on the 5.11 band wagon but with a different model I like and have a COVRT 18 for my every day bag and have been using it every single day for 2+ years

works great on airplanes with all my crap and a couple days clothes in a pinch, holds my 17" standard laptop fine though my ROG 750 will not fit in the intended pocket but will ride out sid of that in the main pocket. Looks nice and "normal" looking . and yes it has hanger and separate area for a hydration bladder. Straps are nice and wide with plenty of padding so even a heavy load is comfortable when running from C28 to F21 at Ohare with 20 mins between flights. Its not as rugged as a rush 12 its more of street bag but will hold up to days hikes and airline carry on duty, or hanging out in the back seat of the truck just fine

a pic is worth a ton of words they say, so here is mine a couple days after I got it

[​IMG]P1280050 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

Last edited by mrsleeve, Mar 23, 2015
    tigz likes this.
  7. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Kelty, Pantagonia, Osprey and REI have numerous packs in the 30-45L range.
    Osprey's Farpoint 40 and Porter 46 are travel/airport specific travel packs. 46L is about the largest airlines allow onboard. I have the Porter 46 and using the built in compression straps can always place the pack in overhead bins.

REI's Vagabond Tour pack 40 has excellent reviews, and Kelty's Redwing 32 and Redstart 28 are more conventional packs that will carry a 15" laptop and still fit in overhead bins.

8. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone! I will be checking out all the suggestions and let you know what I end up getting.

9. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I recently got a Kodiak which fits your needs if you like sling bags? 1 strap only, carryon compatible and with my edc in there theres still room for a laptop and a change of clothes to give you an idea of the size

AlgoOPC likes this.
  10. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

I like traveling with my rush 24. Tons of space. Fits under the seat if you don't stuff it too full. Easily accessible spots for everything.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  11. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I like my Goruck GR1 for travel. It's not too big, not too small. They also make other sizes, depending on your stature. I've taken it all over, from cities to mountaintops. The clamshell opening makes it easy to pack/unpack as well..... Although my Cambelback Trizip is also pretty awesome, it's probaby bigger than you require.

12. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

I have looked at the 5.11 bags, really like the rush 12, just worried if I would be big enough. I couldn't find the Kodak bag, and as for the go ruck, I do like the clamshell feature, but I don't think I can spend that much until I know what kind of bag is best. I want to try out a style before I commit to a high dollar bag. But thanks! Anyone have any opinions on camelbak bags?

13. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

Update: just bought the Rush 24. 110$, not to bad if you ask me. Naturally I paid the extra $ for two days shipping cause I'm so excited! Thanks for the help!

14. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

24L is a good size for a day pack, but when I travel, mostly for business I'm carrying my personal computer, (MS Surface Pro, the work 15.6' laptop) and other personal items in an Osprey 46 Porter. I am not a minalmilist traveler.

15. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

Arcteryx Khard 30 works great for air travel:

[​IMG]

bigfoot and AlgoOPC like this.
  16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 COVRT will work. The GORUCK GR0 or GR1 is going to be a little more spendy with a little less admin. I love Osprey's packs but only a few of them have a laptop pocket.

What's your budget? How much do you care about admin?

17. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott Loaded Pockets

I really like my Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II.

[​IMG]

18. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]got it!

bigfoot, JT2V, nosuchagency and 2 others like this.
  19. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Congratulations. How do you like the size and weight?

20. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

So far I really like it. I need to find a better organizer for my tools and first aid kit but the bag holds everything with plenty of room to spare.

EXCALIBUR likes this.