1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC bag size

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by thol, Aug 25, 2014.

1. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

I thinking on geting a EDC bag but what´s a good size?
    To work I cary a backpack that takes 35 to 45 Liters and it is to big for EDC use.
    In my mind a 25-30 by 20-25 by 10-15 cm(10-12 by 8-10 by 4-6 in) would be enough in my mind.
    What do you guys thinks? :)

2. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

That would depend on what you put in it.

Me personally I like to have a little more bag than I need. Just a little. It is certainly better than not enough.

Katjang1 likes this.
  3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Between my own bags and those I have seen across this forum, I would say that the most common EDC size seems to be between 18 - 24 liters in capacity, the actual dimensions vary by brand and design. As mentioned above, you need to take into account everything you want to carry with you. HERE is an example of a loadout I was carrying in a Rush 12 (popular EDC bag and size @ 21.2 liters), hopefully it will help you "size" a bag in your mind compared to your current loadout.

I have gotten rid of my 5.11 bags, not because they are bad (many folks enjoy them), but because I wanted to branch out into other bags. There are a number of great brands out there beyond the standards you will find most people carrying, so do yourself a favor and look around before you buy. I believe you have the Fjallraven brand of backpacks locally and I have heard great things about them.

powerring likes this.
  4. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I like the 25-30L range for EDC. If you buy a pack with good compression straps, it should be able to be zipped up pretty tight or expanded out to give you room for whatever your day may throw at you.

5. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

I use a Goruck Bullet 10, and it's exactly the right size for me.

6. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

My EDC packs range from 16 to 30 liters depending on the season.

Mike

7. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

I just started using a North Face Surge II, it holds 32 liters, but doesn't look that big at all. My GR1 at 26 liters looked bigger than the Surge pack.

8. Ile

Ile Loaded Pockets

As edc I feel best size to me is around 24-30 litres,depends of bag of course.Its all up to you,what youre going to carry with you every day..

9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I like and an use small EDC bags around this size - the three largest items I EDC are an iPad, ~0.4L water flask, and 7oz waterproof/breathable rain jacket, and I think each is about the volume of a paperback book. Course, I have a bunch of smaller stuff too.

You're in 8 liter/500 ci class which is primarily messenger bag, shoulder bag, sling class - backpacks this small tend to look a little silly (IMHO). I used to EDC a Timbuk2 XS messenger bag (8L), which was nice, but have now upgraded to a Patagonia Minimass/Black Hole Mini Messenger (12L) - I'd say I'm still using 8L and use my bag's compression straps to cinch down the extra 4L for just-in-case.

I love the versatility of my rig now - it can look "formal" enough to qualify as a soft-sided briefcase for suit & tie/office carry, and yet I can rig it as belted, dual shoulder strap backpack for any type of active sports or a long hike. I use an "overflow" compression stuff sack to strap stuff outside, for example, my winter jacket while touring a museum. I'm also a water rat, and have nice beach/snorkeling/folding chair kits that all fit inside.

10. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

After read your ansers and some thinking I have concluded that some type of messenger bag. It need to be able to take a A4 paper sized thing some smaller objects and a jacket and a small bottle :)
    I got a couple of options but I could not link them :nah_disagree:

11. Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto Loaded Pockets

I just bought a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack at 32 liters that I plan to start carrying as an EDC bag.. it arrives tomorrow.

12. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

A new try
    Rothco hip bag
    Can be to small

Rothco m-51 engineers bag, 15-liter
    realy like this one

Vintage Canvas messenger bag, one big pocket one inner with ziper and 3 outer pockets

13. Jharpphoto

does anyone else EDC a bag in the 30 liter range? Let's see some pics of the "big bags".

14. Day Tripper

I EDC a Kelty Peregrine 29L pack. I don't have any pics of it to post right now other than stock photos you see online, but it has been perfect for my needs. I regularly carry a change of clothes, flat lunch box with food, a 40oz coffee thermos, a 15.6" laptop in sleeve, a maxped EDC organizer with survival gear/tools, an Eagle Creek zip pouch with electronic gear/batteries, and a small IFAK. All of this stuff fits great and leaves me room to expand and carry other items I pick up throughout the day.

15. Jharpphoto

Looks like you have a similar loadout as me. Do you find carrying a bag that size to be cumbersome? Any other guys in the big bag club?

16. Day Tripper

I don't consider it a hassle to carry at all. Even with all that gear and a full lunch and thermos, the weight seems very minimal. Plus I can carry it by the handles, one strap it, or two strap it. It can be compressed down to be about 5" in depth, or expanded out and fit some winter clothes snugly. It is the best of both worlds for me. I couldn't imagine carry a pack much smaller though...1600ci is about my limit, otherwise it looks like I sat down and got somebody else's pack stuck to me.