1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Bag for IT People

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by preprator, Jul 16, 2015.

1. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

Wow, that's a lot of stuff you must be carrying! I keep a small MOAB6 in my car with a few Cisco switches and extra cables, but I don't need to carry that stuff on most of my visits. I just keep all of my iso's on an external drive and carry a few DVD's that I can burn one too if need be.

2. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, "IT Industry" is pretty vague and there are still a lot of different types of jobs that require different types of equipment. A network engineer's bag will look quite different than a QA Tester's.
    Personally, I'm a software engineer, so I really don't have much in the need of physical tools. Almost 100% of my work is writing code on the desktop rig in my office. I also carry extremely little on an EDC basis compared to most of the guys here.
    To that end, my work bag (I can't even call it an EDC bag, because it's sole use is to get my stuff from home to office and back) is my trusty 5.11 Rush Delivery, with a Condor "Gadget Pouch" pouch on either end (yeah, I took the cheap route on my pouches...)
    The set up lets me easily carry a mix of personal and business stuff which, off the top of my head, looks something like:
    Main Bag + Interior & Exterior Pockets
    Toshiba Satellite 15" laptop + charger
    Project Folders for whatever I'm currently working on
    Nexus 7 tablet (in padded case)
    Amazon Kindle
    Energizer AA flashlight
    Zero Tolerance 0350
    Hefty Handy Sacks
    2-3 Protein Bars for snacks
    Oakley Soft Vault
    Pens/pencils

Gadget Pouch #1 - Phone/Tablet accessories:
    2 micro USB cables
    USB Wall Charger
    USB Car Adapter
    Apple 30-pin to micro USB adapter
    USB OTG adapter

Gadget Pouch #2 - Computer Accessories
    500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go USB drive + cable
    Misc memory cards as necessary

That actually sounds like quite a bit, but with the exception of the laptop (which I don't even carry every day), it's all small, lightweight stuff.

I'm not about to unpack it to show off everything, but here's a picture of my bag as it sits in the corner:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by tweak4, Nov 5, 2015
    BenjaminDuncan and thePlumbah like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You are exactly correct on that description too.
    I am on the other end of the spectrum as I install,Test and Troubleshoot systems and work across platforms and specialties too.
    I do:
    System Design & Installation
    Room Design & Installation
    Networking
    Audio/Video
    Automation
    And on and on.

And most of my systems are custom or One Off too so I routinely carry way more than I ever could in a single bag.

Having said that I have been on an endless quest for the right single bag for 30 years I guess but somehow I have not looked much more since getting the Dispatch!

I will be getting a Synapse 25 still but the Dispatch is the most perfect bag I have tried maybe of all time.

4. psyphris

psyphris Loaded Pockets

I'm a software developer and over the past 4 years have used a GORUCK GR1, GORUCK SD25, GORUCK GR2, TAD Litespeed, TAD Litespeed (new version), TAD EDC, Tom Bihn Brain Bag, and Tom Bihn Smart Alec for my EDC bags. I'm currently using the Smart Alec and love it... I'll post pictures when I get home :)

5. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

If I'm going out with my full sized Laptop, I actually use a Bag Of Holding, or Dragonhide Bag Of Holding from Think Geek. They're surprisingly well made bags. Big enough for my large laptop and everything else I'd want to carry. That said they're not overly expensive.

It's seldom I go out with the full laptop. I'm much more prone to throw an Ipad in one of my smaller bags and book with it, but if I do. I have both of the ones mentioned above.

clydeosaur likes this.
  6. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

before I moved to the Rush 24 I weighed my bag, it was at about 45lbs

I support LAN/WAN in a DC so that is where all the tools and such are, no need to carry on my person, everything that I would need to work on is in one place.

Aside from the 'blue' cable in the cable pocket you would not know that I worked in IT without going through my folio. The sportsman club we belong is a couple of miles from our house so I carry my grab and go range bag with me everyday believing that I will just stop by, empty a dozen mags then be on my way home in a matter of minutes... a dozen loaded mags, couple of boxes of ammo, ancient 6lb laptop, half a dozen (or so) flashlights, half a dozen knives (couple of fixed blades), couple of MT's, blah blah blah add up fast.

I am not using all these things I buy all the time but I'll be damned if they just sit in a drawer somewhere collecting dust... and that old 'I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it' thing. It's a lot to carry but I am a big boy and can handle it. I do have a Maxpedition Fatty for 'essentials' if I had to grab and go minimal style.

Last edited by kensington, Jul 18, 2015
  7. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 'Q' backpack. Great protection and side-access for the laptop, an overall slim shape so it's not bulky, a dedicated 'cable vault' for cables and charger, and a good admin panel for pens, etc.

Absolutely rock-solid construction, and it looks pleasantly low-key, rather than Tacti-cool.

After many years of carrying messenger bag and computer briefcase style bags, I've made an absolute declaration that I will NOT carry anything totaling more than 9 pounds cross-body. If it's more than 9 pounds total, it needs to be a backpack, after too much suffering with heavy cross-body bags.

8. Tallinar

Tallinar Loaded Pockets

I have been using a Maxpedition Mongo Versipack for the last 7 months and have been very content with it, by and large. As others have noted, IT industry can be a bit broad. Depending on what you do, exactly, and how often you do what, your needs may very greatly.

I'm a network engineer, and most of my work is done remotely from the office. I do a lot of device preconfiguration, a lot of Visio diagrams, and a lot of remote troubleshooting. Still, there are times I go onsite to either a datacenter/CO, or a customer prem. So most days I would get by fine with a laptop, charger, mouse, a console cable and USB dongle, a straight through cable, a copper SFP, and a few USB drives. Still, I carry a few tools that would allow me to be able to somewhat pick up and leave the office when needed. Namely, an electricians screwdriver, wireless hotspot, flashlight, etc. The types of things I do not carry though are cable making tools, or a punch down tool. These are things I use just rarely enough that it wouldn't be worth my EDC.

With that said, Mongo carries for me:

Main compartment:
    14 inch Dell E7440
    Bible
    Mini portfolio

CCW compartment:
    Laptop charger
    Straight through cable
    Crossover cable
    Console cable w/ USB dongle

Large front admin panel:
    Mini Maxpedition Organizer (various small tools, most important being diagonal cutters and DA Versitool and bits)
    Small case logic USB tool organizer
    Small journal
    checkbook
    USB power bank
    Access cards
    Micro fiber cloth
    Full sized electricians screwdriver
    Various pens

Top clamshell pocket:
    Leatherman Micra
    copper SFP
    various EDC OTC meds, bandaids, etc
    Gum

Flap pocket:
    Cell phone charger
    Wireless Hotspot / charger
    Wireless mouse

Side zipper pocket:
    Bluetooth earpiece
    sometimes my Leatherman wave pouch, if I don't have it on my belt

Waterbottle pocket:
    Coffee. Always coffee. Lots of coffee.

This load out gets me by most days, and is very comfortable to wear cross body. I don't regard the Mongo to be overly tactical looking, but tastes may vary.

BenjaminDuncan and kensington like this.
  9. preprator

preprator Empty Pockets

Rush72? I can't imagine what inside it :)

Thanks everyone for sharing their EDC :)

10. Alfin_lee

Alfin_lee Loaded Pockets

I use maxpedition sitka because beside i actually love it, it have 1 major point: It used by Tony Stark in Ironman 3! lol

11. kensington

Here is the loadout of the Rush 24

[​IMG]

Breakdown pics here

It has all since been moved to a Rush 72 which is much easier to work with, this stuff, totally packed out the 24.

thePlumbah likes this.
  12. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm really not trying to start a fight or anything, but this is a prime example of the kind of EDC that I simply do not understand.
    I look at the picture and my brain just screams "overkill". I count 2 fixed blades of similar size, plus at least 5 folding knives and a cigar cutter. 3 separate lights? 2 pairs of gloves. A stack of targets? Sure, a lot of this stuff would be useful in a certain situation, but I just don't get how anyone can haul around 45lbs of "just in case" gear every day.
    Granted, I'm kind of on the other of the EDC spectrum. The only items I carry every day are items that I use every day. My true EDC is pockets only and generally consists of the bare essentials- folding knife, Leatherman Micra, sunglasses, etc.
    My work bag is the closest thing I have to an EDC bag, but it rarely goes anywhere other than from home to office, and 90% of the stuff it contains is stuff directly related to doing my job (plus a few typical EDC kind of items like a spare folding knife, small flashlight, etc). Without my laptop, that bag only weighs about 8 pounds, and I think even that is too much.
    When I go out of town for a weekend, I usually pack in a Rush 24. I can't imagine possibly filling one with just EDC gear and carrying it around- much less carrying it everywhere I go!

hal_chase and thePlumbah like this.
  13. kensington

No worries, I didn't say it in this post but I have in others, I do not spend frivolously (because I do not have much money) so if I buy something it's because I like it, I would rather it not sit in a drawer unused, at the least take it with me.

This is not all of my 'stuff' ,much of it is tucked away in other bags in family members cars/residences. These are the things I really like. It is no big deal for me to take it with me so why not take it with me?

As far as the targets and range stuff, I live 2 miles from our club and it is 'kind of' on the way to work so I keep it with me in hopes of being able to steal 20 minutes to detour to the range and get some practice in.

Knives and flashlights (7, 1 in the Beefy) were really binges that got out of control, but like I said, I paid for it and it does not hurt me to carry it so...

By no means do I feel this is an essential EDC bag, it just happens to be 'my' EDC bag.

chavez, thePlumbah and EZDog like this.
  14. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

Thank you for not blowing up at me- I've seen giant flame wars break out over lesser comments :)
    Your loadout was just an example that got me thinking- it's not the first one I've seen that requires a full-on backpack.
    Maybe that's the difference- that you're freely admitting that you are going above and beyond the essentials. I've seen a number of "EDC Backpackers" that seem to feel that everything they carry is "essential" and carry 30 lbs of gear everywhere they go. I'm all for packing up a reasonable kit when I'm heading off into the woods or something, but for every day carry, I choose to stick to what I consider essential rather than carrying the extra weight.

If I may ask, since your goal is to not let things sit at home unused, do any of them sit in your bag unused instead? If you're actually using everything that you carry, then you've found the right balance. However, if you're just hauling stuff around so that it isn't sitting at home... I'd just assume leave it behind. (Full disclosure, I do own something like 25-30 pocket knives that I've collected over the years. At any given time, all but 2 are in a divided case in my closet. The two remaining are in my pocket and work bag, respectively. However, I tend to rotate which one I'm carrying on me every now and then to keep things interesting)
    Typically, I use a "gear cache" approach instead of carrying things with me. I only carry the necessities on me, but I have bits of gear stashed at my house, in my car, at my office, etc, that should cover my needs in 98% of the scenarios I might find myself in when I'm in the vicinity of each one. For trips out of the ordinary, I pack a small bag with just the items that will cover me for things that are likely to come up on that particular trip and leave the rest home.
    I'm not saying that my way is right and yours is wrong or anything like that- it's just different ends of the spectrum.
    Of course, I might have to start carrying a backpack for the necessities- we're expecting twins in August, so I need to get the diaper bag loaded up again and get back in the "dad is prepared for everything" mindset for the next year or two!

thePlumbah likes this.
  15. kensington

Yeah, I would cache things but I have 3 little ones running around with a 4th on the way so they need to be up, away and hidden from view. Do I use a lot of the stuff, no, realistically what I carry on-person takes care of most all of my needs. Even what I carry on-person is likely excessive for my real life, but again, it does not hurt me to carry it so I do.

If we were in a situation I try to have bags within bags if we had to go light with essentials. Honestly I do not need most of what I have but I like to think if things go bad it would be useful. That is the only way I can sell it to the wife, as to the quantity of what I have... that is a different story.

Yeah, for me it's kind of the opposite, I am not hiking a mile with this stuff, throw it in the car and off we go. Get to where we are going and I don't feel like bringing it in with me I don't, I leave it in the car. No biggie. Same when we drive to FL to stay with my parents, bring way more than we need, we all still fit comfortably in the car, no issues. There may be a bag or two that never get removed from the car, no concern for me, at least it is there. I would rather have it and never need it then need it and not have it. Sure there is a point of diminishing returns, I need some super awesome $500 bag to carry all my stuff, I will just carry less stuff, which I have done, although the above loadout seems contrary to that statement.

I like the discussions, keeps me thinking and evolving.

Sorry for derailing the thread...

16. Krby0

Krby0 Loaded Pockets

Hey I was wondering what color you got for your Stealth Operator backpack. Is that the ripstop grey?

hal_chase likes this.
  17. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me..??
    It's an earlier variant of ripstop grey (not 100% diamond pattern... has some bits of 500D (the greener bits)). Very nice bag for flattish items.

Lovingly transmitted by Nexus 6 droid

Cheeser likes this.
  18. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

I'm currently using the Condor Compact Assault Pack, but it's just too small for my liking/needs. And yeah, I'm one of those bringing the kitchen sink type of guys. ;) My EDC/ office bag, is also my INCH bag, so I carry quite a bit of stuff. Am waiting for the Condor Urban Go Pack, well over twice the size of the Compact Assault, and some better organisational options (seperate laptop sleeve, sidepockets that can take 32 Oz. Nalgenes, et cetera).