1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Backpack offer for Forum members

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, May 23, 2014.

1. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Is it this one?

Moco, bigfoot and SAKplumber like this.
  3. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Wait a minute? They have a bar at Chuckies? Bloody hell, how did I miss that one? I've two little girls and I've been dragged a dozen times, kicking and screaming into that joint.

PS I have the same exact hat from OR. I'm an OR junkie but that's besides the point.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

yeah, that's the one.....in my defense. I drank too many beers in a short time. The wife drove me home. I continued...and then jumped on the forum. There are tough guys in this world and then there are fathers that have been pushed just too dam far. ugh.

powerring, Lou_G and SAKplumber like this.
  5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I'm a big fan of OR research. They make good stuff. You do as well, now I am a fan of you too.

Chuck's place....I am not condoning my behavior in a children's pizzeria but sometimes in life we have to make life or death decisions. Do what thou must.....:spin:

Lou_G and SAKplumber like this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heres a few for ya'! (Figured I'd put it where it goes and bring your post with;)
    Stock photo:

[​IMG]

Mine:

Backside:eek:

[​IMG]

Side mesh pockets...either side. Also notice the compression strap above it.

[​IMG]

Accessible from two points

[​IMG]

The visible zipper is the laptop pocket. Couple 3 inches front to back, but as deep as the bag is tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main compartment has a flap over the zipper. It is deep as well as roomy.

[​IMG]

The pocket in front of that also has a flap over the zipper, isn't as tall as the bag but does go all the way to the bottom. Admin pockets toward the back. The top, rear one has a little velcro top hold it up as it is as wide as the compartment. The next pocket down is divided in two. Keystrap with the good clip like Tom Bihn also uses.
    Mesh pocket on the front.

[​IMG]

Front most pocket has mesh one front and back, one with a zipper and one without. Plus the compartment itself goes to the bottom of the bag.

[​IMG]

Lastly, the loop for a light or reflector for night visibility. And the "hidden" pocket the is the very bottom of the bag. Very deep as its is front to back of the bag.

[​IMG]

snowkiwi, Dapple, powerring and 4 others like this.
  7. Supermanda

Supermanda EDC Junkie

That is an awesome bag!!! Lots of pockets for organized storage.

Brtsmpsn and SAKplumber like this.
  8. Supermanda

Supermanda EDC Junkie

@SAKplumber will it become your new edc bag?

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes & no. I use a messenger because it fits my lifestyle better. I need something to ride shotgun, sit upright, and a messenger works well. I only need carry it back and forth to the truck.
    The backpack has me looking for excuses to use it :D

HELM and Brtsmpsn like this.
  10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I was able to take mine to the Elementary school, Middle school, and the University. I was unable to gain access to the high school ..Something about my permanent record, cutting class, a '69 Mustang, the captain of the volley ball team, and her missing her midterm. Guilty as charged.

The reactions were really good….high lights.

• Shoulder straps are comfortable.
    • Mass organization.
    • Build quality
    • Holds more than it looks
    • Stores easy
    • Room for lap top
    Good pack for work and school. I just don’t see this one wearing out in a lifetime.

Summer is here so I do have to switch out to my summer pack.

[​IMG]

I just noticed the battle axe.....Not sure what Mama is gonna say about that..:rolleyes:

SAKplumber and HELM like this.
  11. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Dude you should have told me this earlier and I would have sold you a very expensive Messenger bag ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Thanks man :)

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ha! You may yet! :bounce:

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So tell me:
    Why would the computer compartment be the one zipper with no flap to protect it,it seems counter to the purpose to me?

Also I am curios about the side mesh pockets as well.
    Are they really tight enough that you can empty your pockets into them and not worry about things escaping as the TSA checks out the bag,on the conveyer belt?

This bag just keeps calling my name and it is getting a little annoying too!

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I was curious about the laptop pocket/zipper too. I was going to assume it was because a laptop may be in a cache or sleeve and therefore be protected already. But also, you don't have to put it there, you could put it in the main compartment.

16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

It may seem to appear so and I do concur if I am looking at it first glance. But after humping the original prototype for almost 250K flight miles, I was getting extremely frustrated with the coil zippers with the flap over it. There would be times when I needed my notebook out fast while going from gate to gate at an airport so that I could catch a Wifi signal to send whatever it is I worked on during the flight. It's always easier to work zippers that do not have that lip over it and I also needed it to be accessed fast for another purpose. After the second prototype was completed I decided to give it a test and see how well those zippers would work without the additional protection offered by the flap so what better way than getting the bag exposed to a wet day? I took the kids out for a geocaching run in the rain and I had the backpack with me. We were out for a good two hours or so and by the time I got back I noticed seepage but not as bad as I thought it would be. The question then was, who's gonna spend that amount of time running around in the rain? But I did have another requirement......

The original bag was designed to not look tactical for a specific requirement (for a contract).......the end users needed to be able to keep an MP5 in that back compartment. So when the protection guys sat in their vehicles with the pack between their legs they need fast access to it during a covert situation where bare metal all the time was not the idea. The original design also had a piece of webbing sticking out from the back compartment to allow one to unzip it by yanking that webbing and the carry handle.

Anyway as I've mentioned earlier when we first offered the pack that these were put together from whatever's left from that contract. As such I just kept the design as is.

Sorry but where did you read this EZDog? There was no mention on the product description that the side mesh is meant for emptying your pocket before going through security at TSA. You must be thinking about another one of our backpacks that has those TSA pods on the side.

Helm

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

At 5:24 in the video you have at the start of this thread you mention Wallet,Belt and "everything out" as you are loading things into the mesh pockets.
    I think this is where I got the idea.

I guess I misunderstood maybe and am confusing this with the Penumbra video where the pockets are fully enclosed and zippered.

18. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

EZDog, it is I that is confused and I must apologize. You can use those side mesh pockets for short security runs but you need to be careful not to keep the small items in the mesh pockets for too long because of the design, it has that side opening. I added the side pods on the Penumbra so as to make sure everything was safe and secured when one is moving from one security point to another especially at international airports (transits).

My apologies once again for the confusion.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I can't believe these packs haven't sold out.:eek:

T.H.Cone likes this.
  20. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

No earth tones?

That's what stopped me.

SAKplumber likes this.