1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Ankle Sheath

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by GQP, Apr 13, 2014.

1. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I showed in previous posts that I carry my EDC items in an ankle holster. This is due to my works dress code and my choice of clothing.

Problem is that the gun holster I have been using is getting worn after a few years of use and I have not been able to find a replacement nor anything that I could modify to meet my demands.In order the ankle rig to be perfect, it needed these things.

1. Padding behind the holster/sheath portion.
    2. A calf strap that keeps the rig from dropping, turning and helps distribute the weight.
    3. The elastic could not sit directly against items like multitools (which like pistols, wear holes in it over time).

Not being able to find anything that worked, I decided to make my own.

I started with an 8" band of elastic and folded over at 3.5" creating the pocket and making the band 4.5". I then pined, ironed and drew my sewing lines.
    [​IMG]

I then began sewing the Velcro panels, but discovered I sorely underestimated the toughness of the material. My cheap sewing machine died after about 2-3 inches into the project. From then on, it was all hand sewing.

[​IMG]

I picked up Neoprene iPad sleeve at the Dollar Store and cut out 2 pieces for the padding.
    [​IMG]

Attached the padding and added a calf strap made from 2" elastic nylon and velcro panels.
    [​IMG]

Last would be the sheath. I originally planed on going with a leather and Kydex sheath sewn onto the elastic. I had already cut the leather, but getting this far changed my mind. Not only had this project trashed my sewing machine, but I snapped 4 more needles in my hand before I finished. If I ever lost or upgraded my gear, it was going to be a long pain to modify the rig. Luckily, I came up with the idea of just making a full Kydex sheath to slip into the large pocket. That way I would only have to make a new Kydex sheath if I changed my gear (which is WAY easier).

[​IMG]

And here it is completed. Stitching is not flawless, but it is sturdy and comfortable. It gets its first full day of work tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Awesome! Good job. Thanks for the pics :)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

We’re waiting on some pics of it being worn. ;)
    :img_tag_smiley:

4. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

This thread just further proves that all of us need to learn to sew. Awesome work man!

Gary Gross likes this.
  5. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

Sure thing...

[​IMG][​IMG]

EDC on the right leg and Glock 26 on the left.

[​IMG]

6. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

Very nicely done!

I was looking for something like that.

7. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

That is fantastic! I would never even suspect you had stuff attached to your ankles! Does any of it show when you are sitting down?

tmedina likes this.
  8. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

It depends on how long the pants are. In the pants shown, nothing can be seen when sited. If I cross my leg over my knee, you can see .5"-1" of the bottom of the rigs. I have some shorter pants that show a little when just seated. None of the items show, all you see is black elastic wrapped around black socks.

9. DavTN

DavTN Loaded Pockets

Just what I am looking for.....very we'll done.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is very nice and well put together.Love seeing how people get things to work for them.Did it take long for you to get comfortble carrying your stuff like this?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. Tony D.

Tony D. Loaded Pockets

very nice I wish people realized the potential of Elastic. I have used it for may things. lately a wallet and accessorie holder

12. DavTN

DavTN Loaded Pockets

How is it wearing? Does your leg get sweaty?

13. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

Reviving the dead as I still receive questions about an update. The original rig I made seen in this post is still 100% intact and comfortable. Ive worn it year round every day for over 4 years.

However, I decided that I could make it even better. Lighter, more comfortable, thinner, etc.

This new rig has been worn for a week, Instead of a Kydex insert, I have used a durable gripping fabric that secures items in place and not needing the molded kydex that didn't let me easily swap or upgrade gear. The padding is no longer Neoprene, but netted padding you would find on higher-end backpacks. The calf strap is also adjustable.

So far it is better than the original. On a few occasions I have had to check to see if I had it on.

[​IMG]

ran23, Nick4305, Water-Rat and 3 others like this.
  14. Michael Westen

Michael Westen Empty Pockets

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Wingman multitool?

How do you like yours? I've carried mine for going on 5 years now, it's been my favorite lightweight multi to date.

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Nice work! I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into your design and execution!

I'll take your word for that... :unsure: I can't see myself carrying anything on my ankle, especially not a Leatherman tool.