1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ED Knife newbiw

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Grimakis, May 16, 2016.

1. Grimakis

Grimakis Empty Pockets

Hi,

So I actually have a few questions that I’d like to roll into one here. So I started off by purchasing Spyderco Dragonfly 2, in VG10. So far I really like the knife. The size is small, but still big enough to be rather useful. I like the pocket clip and Spyderhole.

Having said that, I don’t think having just one knife will do. I wouldn’t mind getting something larger, just for fun. Here are some other knives I am considering:

Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Spyderco Kiwi 4
    Kershaw Skyline

I live in Connecticut, where Assisted-opening knives are questionably legal, as are knives like that Griptilian which could be considered gravity knives. While I’m sure that getting into trouble for owning either

I listed these in order of price. Obviously the PM2 is the most expensive, and one of the most loved knives out there. The CPM S30V steel seems rather nice, and the knife is fairly large.

The Kiwi 4 doesn’t seem like it gets too much love, but the Wharncliffe looks nice, and it’s a nice size. One thing holding me back on it is the studs.

The Skyline is the cheapest option. I like the flipper opening, and at the $40 price point, it’s almost painless to purchase. However, I’m concerned about the steel. It doesn’t seem, like it is quite up there like the VG10 and S30V.

What would you prefer?

Also, My Dragonfly 2 came between 30 and 40 degrees. I have the Sharpmaker with Diamond Rods. Should I backbevel to 30, or can I just continue to sharpen at 40, until the knife is 40? I have read that 40 isn’t quite a razor sharp, but fairly easy to maintain.

2. Dave(id)130

Dave(id)130 Loaded Pockets

That was not a question.

3. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

Nope and nope to both of those. Our State Statutes are actually online. Read up on them.

For what it's worth , gravity knives were removed from the dangerous or deadly weapon Statutes at least ten years ago. Assisted knives have never been considered switchblades and the section about a "blade released from the handle by a spring" refers to a ballistic knife that actually "shoots" the blade.

If you are asking for recomendations from your list...I vote Para 2.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Just to go off on a tangent. Griptilians are considered gravity knives? Really? Can someone explain?

Moshe ben David

Daywalker likes this.
  5. Grimakis

Grimakis Empty Pockets

Thanks for the comments. I was getting confused between CT and NY when it came to gravity knives. I guess the Griptilian is fine then. Also, I have found that the Paramilitary 2 is in the same boat.

To answer Moshe ben David, with the Griptilian you can release the axis lock, and the blade will release under the force of gravity. In some places like New York City, this may be illegal.

I opted to go with the Paramilitary 2, in digital camo and satin blade. I might even get a Mini-Grip as well now that I realize there will be no legal issues.

6. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

I would recommend sharpening at 30 because the dragonfly would be a much better slicer at that angle. Also, id highly recommend the paramilitary 2 to ride along with your dragonfly. I have own many of both in the past and they compliment each other very nicely.

7. Grimakis

Grimakis Empty Pockets

What angle should I sharpen the PM2 at?

8. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

30 for sure, its what i sharpen mine at

9. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I'd go for something like a PM2, Manix, Endura, Stretch, or Gayle Bradley to complement the Dragonfly. You could even go Delica+DF2 and still have a decent combo. I like the Skyline, but it doesn't seem like a companion knife with a DF2. My personal pick would be a PM2 in S110V but that's a little more expensive. My second choice would be Stretch in ZDP-189 or Manix in S110V.

Daywalker likes this.
  10. mjpgolf1

mjpgolf1 Loaded Pockets

Op you made a great choice. The Para 2 will go nicely with the Dragonfly and adding a mini Griptilian when you can will round out the group nicely giving you a good size variety to choose from on a daily basis. I own and carry often all 3 or these and they are wonderful knives. So congrats.

Daywalker likes this.
  11. Grimakis

Grimakis Empty Pockets

Thanks.

the PM2 should be coming today. I also really like the mini Griptilian. I might pick that one up nest!

12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Got a PM2 and was not very impressed when it came. But then it quickly grew on me. This thing is just so ... versatile? Meaning if you feel underwhelmed for the price, wait it out a little. It is an awesome knife and I carry it more than any other of my knifes. Ready for everything :D

13. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

And the compression lock is just WAY better than everything else on market. It just CAN'T fail :)

Miss mines though...

14. nacskins

nacskins Loaded Pockets

2nd PM2, Have had Spydies for years, Natives, Delicas... This is by far my fav model.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Well... it can fail, through spine whacking. But that is abuse. For me a lock is just a safeguard. Because slip joints are a reality and you should know how to use your tools.

<mode brag>Love my PM2 S110V</mode brag>

16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just for future reference, unless they've embiggened them in the latest model, the Kiwi is not a very large knife. I have a slipjoint one (I think it's a 3) and it's a medium-sized pocket knife- which would be a small "tactical" knife. It's a great knife, but I wouldn't want you to buy one and be disappointed that it wasn't as big as you had hoped.

17. Grimakis

Grimakis Empty Pockets

Hi,

I didn't choose the Kiwi for 3 reasons.

1. The new Kiwi is expensive, around $120.
    2. The entire knife is held together by pins, not screws.
    3. It has a back lock, and not something more secure.

If Spyderco made a Kiwi 5, with the compression lock, screw design, and cheaper(or even the same price), I would buy it.

thatotherguy likes this.