1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ecodrive Durability vs G-Shock and Luminox

Discussion in 'Watches' started by 62Tele, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It is a fairly thick watch if that helps your decision...

If you don't mind it not being the 'tough' model then there is the BM6400 which is the same style without the commando branding, just in a standard type case (screwback, 200m WR, standard glass crystal - also notably cheaper).

[post edited to correct the specs I misremembered, as noted in the following posts, yes I am a muppet]

sungame likes this.
  2. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the heads up. It's the tough thing (whatever that really means) and the additional water resistance that appeals to me, so I'm still eyeing the (of course) more expensive version.

3. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

42mm case, but looks bigger on the wrist...It has 20mm lugs.

4. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

No, glass crystal and 200m WR. Says so on the dial.

sungame likes this.
  5. Narcosynthesis

Arses, teaches me to remember the specs from memory of a watch I don't own ;)

My BM8180 and BV1085 both have 100m WR, the BM6400 is indeed rated to 200m WR
    For the crystal I knew it wasn't sapphire glass, and got confused between acrylic and standard glass (am I possibly thinking of G Shocks having an acrylic crystal?).

Post edited for the sake of not talking nonsense, cheers sir.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

If I'm not mistaken, the Commando watch is also a one piece titanium case - ie without the screw on back. I think this is supposed to add to the water resistance, can't see what it would do to the shock resistance.

7. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

My oldest Eco drive Diver is from 1999, and I own 3, the oldest is my daily watch and I have not ever thrown anything at it that it didn't just shrug off. Great watches!! I would do it again and will when one speaks to me.

8. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

No worries. Just wouldn't want someone to be turned off of the BM6400 because it's "plastic." People have funny ideas about the features a watch NEEDS to have.

G-shocks tend to use glass except for the really high end MRG series (It's possible to spend north of $2K on a G-Shock made with titanium and sapphire.) The really cheap Casios have acrylic/plastic crystals.

For the record, I LIKE acrylic, and if I ever get around to buying a mechanical chronograph it will have an acrylic crystal just for the impact resistance. I don't know if the economics of the situation will make that a Speedmaster or a Seagull, but crystals are easily replaced and I'm definitely a member of the school of thought that says scratches add character.

9. mntnbkr1968

mntnbkr1968 Loaded Pockets

What kind of dial illumination does Citizen use?

10. Denix

Denix Loaded Pockets

I have a Skyhawk that I bought in 2005. Wore it for several years. In 2011 it fell from a locker shelf onto a tile floor (a total height of about 5 feet). The hands were completely skewed from the impact. I was unable to get them aligned after that, even doing the full resets. I had to send it in and have the module replaced for about $150. It still runs fine, but it's got all new insides now.
    I bought a G-shock after that. I drop things a lot. So Citizens are great watches, just don't drop them from too high ;)

Guy

11. Narcosynthesis

I don't know if it has a technical name, but from what I have read the green lume in the divers style watches like my BN0000 works about on a par with the Seiko sumerluminova.
    The blue lume (what I have on my BN8180 and BV1085) is a notable step down in brightness compared to the green, but a lovely and far more subtle colour, and perfectly readable.

12. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Ouch. It's scenarios just like this one that ar talking me out of an expensive automatic.

13. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

With very few exceptions (I think an old Raysman model is the only one I've heard of with acrylic crystal), G-Shocks have glass crystals. MR-G models have sapphire.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Skyhawk is a quartz watch.

But regardless, that sort of thing can happen to any analogue watch.

15. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Yeah I get that, guess I didn't complete my thought. After talking to a few watch guys, the consensus is that the automatics are more shock sensitive than a standard EcoDrive. And since a lot of good automatics start around a grand, I'll go with the shock resistant titanium Citizen cause s#\^ happens.

16. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

You nailed it with this post.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A grand?? Who told you that? You can get a Seiko SKX007 or 009 at a reputable online shop for just under $200. A perfectly good automatic watch.

18. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Just looking at some, uhum, rather nice ones. Hamilton, etc. can't get myself to spend that much, and Omegas are WAY over budget! After the $2-400 range, feels like diminishing returns to me.

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

You definitely reach diminishing returns when you get to current Omega prices. But I've noticed that there are still very good automatics just above the $1,000 range. But anything higher does feel like you've hit the ceiling. A good one I can recommend just above $500 is the Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro diver. Excellent value. Very close to the quality you'd find in the previous generation Omega SMP, but at a lesser premium. It was a bit heavy on my wrist, and it wears taller on the wrist than its 13mm specs; but those were subjective issues I had. Still regret selling it, even though it just wasn't right for my wrist.