1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ecodrive Durability vs G-Shock and Luminox

Discussion in 'Watches' started by 62Tele, Sep 6, 2013.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I've owned three Ecodrives, have never babied them, and years later they are all still running. Great. They've worked around the house, gone fly fishing in some big rivers, mountain biking, hiking, shooting, kayaking, all without a whimper.

Citizen has come up with "Super Tough" models and have had the Royal Marine version out for awhile and I have to wonder how much more durable can these models be? How do the standard Ecodrives and these "tougher" models compare to the G-Shock and Luminox offerings?

Whatcha all think?

2. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

I currently have all 3, including a Citizen Royal Marines Commando GMT Eco-Drive. IMHO, they're all great watches. G-Shocks are bullet proof and their batteries last forever. Eco's are "dead on balls accurate." Luminox's are great too. Like anything else, you'll occasionally stumble into a lemon. Fortunately, mine have always served me well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Sheepdog149, Sep 7, 2013
    Cobra 6 Actual and sungame like this.
  3. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply. Those are some nice watches, but they sure look new - wondering about hard use scenarios. Have you put these through their paces?

4. Sheepdog149

Lol, these are some of my work watches (police duty)...I haven't put them through hard use other than a few bumps/dings here & there. I don't doubt that they'd stand up to hard use though.

5. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

Of the solar watches (G-Shock, Seiko and Citizen) I've owned, the Citizens have been the most fragile. In both cases it was because the crystal edge was unprotected. In one case, it meant a crack at the edge (and that one had a diver bezel, which made made the crystal being the highest point even more ridiculous). The other was a field watch that got a ding across the entire length of the crystal from a flat impact that wouldn't have happened on my seiko diver or any of my G-Shocks. For this reason, I'm sworn off Citizens. There are a few overbuilt divers that do have a recessed crystal, but they have bad dial to body proportions compared to the other brands.

nick nitro and Sheepdog149 like this.
  6. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here is a hard use scenario for you. This has been my sole and everyday watch for the last 14 years. Notice the scratches in the stainless steel, and notice how pristine the crystal is in comparison. It's the original crystal! I also just changed the battery for the first time two months ago. 14 years out of a battery! Not bad, huh? This one has definitely been through it's paces. I've been a firefighter and medic through all that time. Trust me, it's been beaten.

Overall this one has been tough as nails and worth it's weight in gold. And I am REALLY hard on things. I feel sometimes that I could tear up a ball bearing with a rubber hammer. :D

[​IMG]

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My Titanium-cased Citizen Eco-Drive BM7080-03E can take anything I dish out. Daily wear watch going on 3 years now.

8. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's funny how you mentioned that watch, as I've been eyeing it for a long time now. That and the bm7100-59e in leather strap of course.

9. Sheepdog149

Geez, sorry to hear that about the Citizen crystals...They really do make fine timepieces...I prefer sapphire crystals myself, but not all models have them...I will say this, Seiko's Hardlex crystals are very tough.

10. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Now we're talkin! Back when I was working on a rig, I was always impressed how good you firefighters are at breaking stuff ;) Once you get that ball bearing demo underway, please post!

Cobra 6 Actual and Russ Prechtl like this.
  11. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Wow, I've beat my Citizens and never had an issue with a crystal, sorry to hear you had those problems. Seems like that might be model specific?

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I can definitely recommend getting it.

Southpaw likes this.
  13. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I called Citizen customer service to try to get a sense what might be different about the "Super Tough" watches they've recently come out with - dude on the phone not only had no technical insight, he didn't even know the model I was referrencing. Honestly, how many "Super Tough" watches do they make?

14. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

Were you calling Citizen USA? I'm pretty sure Super Tough weren't made for the American market. He may have had no access to the information if he isn't a hobbyist like one of us.

I've found that the US gets the dregs of every watchmaker's stock. Sure, you might look around in a big enough city and find a Seiko 007, but a Tuna? Spirit? Power Design Project? Forget about it. Sure, you can get Citizen's basic BM6400 with the mirror-polished sheet metal caseback, but if you want gmt/sapphire/monocoque case, nope.

15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The Royal Marines Citizen looks great! How big is it?

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  16. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I was indeed calling the USA customer service. There are currently three Super Tough titanium models mad for the states and I've been seeing them everywhere. I was trying to find out if there was any differences other than the case for these models - maybe something like a standard movement with shock absorption built into the mounting?

No doubt that watch buying in Tokyo or Hing Kong would yield a lot more options.

17. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

They're listed as 42mm. Not sure about the lug size.

18. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Hmm. Just about the right size,then. I was actually hoping it was too big for me, so I wouldn't want it so much...

19. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Totally understand. If they made this model without the Royal Marines symbol and engraving on the case I probably would have bought one already. Nothing against the Royal Marines mind you, I just prefer things being a little more on the plain side. Looking seriously at the metal bracelet plain bezel version.

20. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing a Citizen BN0000 diver as my main watch for 3 1/2 years now and so far it has been absolutely superb - keeps fantastic time, has worn well and barring a couple of smaller marks has held up brilliantly. Definitely a big fan here, which is why I have a couple of other Citizens as alternatives now (a smarter BV1085 pilot, and the cheaper BM8180 as a spare/alternative).

The super tough Marine Commando models seem to be a step up compared to their standard counterparts (the BN0110 vs the BM6400 for example) in having a much heftier one piece case rather than a screwback, and sapphire rather than acrylic crystals to give them a tougher body and increased 300m WR rating. I believe the movements are pretty much the same, which I don't necessarily see as a bad point given how tough and reliable they are anyway...
    I am not sure what will appear in the US though - I figure a 'Marine Commando' model is going to pretty much be a British only model (can you really see a country as patriotic about its military as the US buying in to a watch branded with another countries special forces?) but there may be a non-branded or US equivalent out there - I know Citizen make a range of Red Arrows branded watches, alongside a range branded to the US equivalent of the Blue Angels.

Either way I am more than happy with the Citizen watches I have owned, and am hoping to be wearing them for a long time yet.

sungame likes this.