1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Earthquake kit anyone?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by hboutin, Mar 8, 2010.

1. hboutin

hboutin Loaded Pockets

I live in Mexico city, where we have some tremors once in a while. I want to make an earthquake kit for 5 pax. Anybody with some suggestions or links for this info?
    Thanks

2. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

3. hboutin

hboutin Loaded Pockets

Thanks Ajax, checking as you read this.

4. ACHË

ACHË Loaded Pockets

I've been meaning to make one of these myself to keep near the exit on my apartment.

So far its going to be a regular BOB with plenty of supplies and maybe a change of clothes to allow immediate exit from my house even in the middle of the night and not be left in boxers and barefoot with no food/tools/protection/money/etc.

5. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

Leave in a hurry kit. Wouldn't that be a LIHK? That is a reasonable possibility--a need to flee your home quick. Makes me think a bit.

6. SF1

SF1 Banned

Yes, as we live on ground zero. I will not list the usual things, however, I will list some additional things I have in our kit.

Some of these things will never be listed by The Red Cross, FEMA, or the media. But are really crucial, remember Katrina taught us in earth quake country a big lesson, before the hyped -up "Big one."

1) Firearms for the entire family. These are already in my safe. And Ammo. This is the single most important thing if LE is not able to respond. No gang member will make it past my mail box! And you know all these little craps will be the ones that do not even know there is even a threat, and will never be ready for it.

2) Cash. A few hundred in tens and twenty dollar bills. ATM could be out for?

3) Skim some of your pills from any medicine each month to have a supply. It is impossible to get a back up amount for this purpose.

4) A bottle of your favorite liquor. Cocktails will continue here regardless.

5) Candy, Pop Tarts, your favorite candy and snacks.

6) Food for your Cat or Dog, or any pet.

More on prescription medicine. We have a large population of senior citizens here in the Palm Springs area. Many have medication they need, but try to get a script for a one week supply...Insert Dr. LAUGHING here... Ah...NO!

I covered a California Office of Emergency Service round table with the multi agency reps, MC's one of our Senators, and the Governor. I was the official photographer that day, and with sweat dripping, I spoke up and asked them about the spare medicine issue. I said, you always tell people to have spare prescription drugs, but you cannot get a script for that purpose. Silence fell upon the room. Everyone looking at each other. They did say it was a problem, however the DEA will not allow even one extra pill because you could get high on it, or a kid could steal it, or...get this... if not needed after Exp. date flushed down the toilet.

When we broke for lunch, oddly, I was seated with the DEA people, and told them what I thought of this :censored:, when Drug Lords, are shipping billions of dollars in drugs into the country daily, and they want to control a 90 year old person who is on medication, and hassle Doctors and their patients. They did not like me. For my records, I took their names.

How senseless for people to survive a huge quake, only to become ill, or die because of the worthless Bureaucracy of the DEA.

When the event ended, I got several hand shakes, and even the Governor thanked me for the question. He said I was correct with so many elderly people concentrated in one area.

Hope this helps someone with their medicine kit.

Frankly, It may be good for the economic recovery if the "Big One" was to hit in this recession. Hey...should I get T-Shirts printed now that say: I survived the Big One?

Plus, I am tired of hearing about it. They finally pulled Cal- Tech. Dr. Lucy Jones, PhD. away from the press, as she scared the hell out of everyone in Southern California.

It may not even happen for another 100 years, who knows. I no longer worry, I just keep supplies up to date.

Best,

SF1

7. SF1

SF1 Banned

Two days after this post we had a 7.2 magnitude quake. No damage in our area.

Our house is a very strong mid-century modern built in 1958, very futuristic

T & G with post and beam construction We have many huge 4 X 15 solid wood beams.

Our Cat's went crazy!

8. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

Food for pets? Heck, I thought they were food in a situ requiring a kit?

9. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

Tagging this...I'm going to inform my classmates on how to start a BOB in my public speaking class.

10. jargon

jargon Empty Pockets

My BOB has cliff bars in it, and it has saved me numerous times !

11. jabba1091

jabba1091 Loaded Pockets

Yup. Im on ground zero as well. I pack my handheld yeasu in there as well. I also have my CERT handbook (made by Rite in the Rain) When i went through the CERT training and got the book I used the graphed pages at teh end to make a variety of scaled pages i.e. one square=one foot, five feet, ten feet. It's full of useful info such as first aid, basic SAR, triage, etc. might be useful, might not be. But since the my hometown doesn't have CERT in figured the info shouldn't go to waste. I agree with you, SF1. I keep a flask and a pack of smokes in the first aid section of my bag. The small comfort items can go a long way. I also carry about a dozen AA batteries. That equals a fresh charge for my Petzl headlamp, Fenix flashlight and Yeasu.

12. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

:censored: straight!

I was able to get prescriptions for my medications from my doctor so that I could take extra to the Philippines with me a while back. It was a rather rude awakening for me, though, when the pharmacist told me initially that my insurance company had refused my request for regular refills because it was "too early".

It was another rude awakening when I had to pony up for them without the insurance company discount.

I was able to do it but it's not a stretch for me to envision an elderly person not having the financial resources to pay full price.

13. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Don't forget water for non-drinking use (flushing the toilet, washing, etc.) if you are still able to live in your home. Your house might be O.K., but utilities may not be restored for days. When my wife went through the Northridge earthquake in 1994, they were lucky enough to have a swimming pool from which they pulled water for 10 days.

14. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Empty Pockets

Another couple of quick items for preparation. I learned this going through the Northridge Earthquake. For some reason earthquakes seem to happen at night or in the wee hours of early morning. Not all the time of course, but the big ones I can remember have. A good heavy duty Maglite type of flashlight and a pair of decent shoes should always by under/near the side of the bed in which you sleep. For that matter both sides of the bed wouldn't hurt. You would be surprised how much debris and broken glass instantly cover the floor. Believe me, when violently awakened with a quake you tend to pop up and scramble. Always have bottled water securely stowed and hand held radios/walkie talkies aren't a bad idea either. Don't forget to rotate fresh batteries in applicable devices. One final item might be a hand crank radio. Expect this list to continue to grow!

15. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Very odd, but true! I can't tell you how many little "rumblers" we felt in San Diego in the wee hours. In the Northridge quake, my wife was actually thrown from her bed onto the floor!
    Definitely +1 on the easy access light and footwear.