1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Earbuds

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by lawmanhdg, Dec 14, 2019.

1. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

Do they make wireless earbuds like this that sit just outside the ear canal, just inside the rim of the ear? They used to be called ear monitors I think.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

This feels like too easy of an answer, but the Apple Airpods would fit the bill, right? They're very similar to what's pictured (minus the wire of course).

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Apple AirPods are sorta funny. I've never had the wireless ones, but I have had the wired ones. I think the part that sits in the ear is about the same.

Some folks love them. Some hate them. Although on most things I do love Apple design, not these. For me at least they are so smooth that I could never really get them seated in my ear securely. I know I'm not alone in this; I've seen similar comments on line from others.
    Since I never really got them seated securely in my ear I can't make any comments on sound quality. I can say that no matter how hard I tried, just simple walking around resulted in one or both popping out. Since mine were wired I was not in danger of losing them.... just a :censored:!

I ended up giving all of mine away.

Not everyone has this issue for sure. Problem is, you can't tell until you try them. And with something you stick in your ear returning can be problematic... Maybe if you know someone who has them who will let you test them out you could see if you'd be happy or not.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

Will they work with non-Apple products?

5. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Yes, they are Bluetooth.

garza likes this.
  6. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I have had my eye on the airpods every since they were released but never pulled the trigger because I fall into the group where the wired ones just never fit my ears. They would always fall out after a couple of minutes.

Fast forward to recently my wife got me the pro model as a gift this year. These ones have the silicon tips on the end which you can switch out for different sizes to get a better fit. I love them. Thy are super comfortable and they stay in my ears great. They sound fine for me although I am not an audiofile and the noise canceling is very impressive.

7. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I have had the same complaint as many. The wired ear pods just didn't stay in. My brothers family all use the air pods and swear by them. They said they had the same issue with the wired version as I had. They said it was all due to the weight of the wires pulling them out. So, I tried a knock-off version called Sound Pods. Lol. They actually stayed put in my ears and were very comfortable. The connection quality and overall performance sucked. But they served the purpose of confirming that some peoples issue with the wired version didn't carry over to the wireless air pods.

I ended up trying the Aftershokz Titanium and never looking back. They are totally out of ear, and very comfortable for extended periods of time.

kikaida likes this.
  8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

yes since they are Bluetooth connected. Apple specific features will not work such as Siri.

9. exploreprepingworld

exploreprepingworld Loaded Pockets

Been daily using the Apple Airpods for over a year now and can recommend everything about them except the price they charge. haha would have liked them to be cheaper.
    Of course they are not studio quality in sound but very easy to use and the case / earbuds hold a lot of charge.

10. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Same same on the fit of the AirPods and earbuds, always felt loose in my ears too. A cheap pair of aftermarket silicone tips with a little wing fixed that right up though - I run and lift every morning and commute around DC with them now with no fear of them falling out in any level of activity.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  11. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I echo the others that said that the wired earbuds would fall out of my ears. That's why I never bought the wireless ones because I thought, if the wired ones fall out of my ears all the time, then how much more for the wireless ones? I also have semi wired ones from Sony, that has the wire and sits on the back of your neck, but that would come come out also, and either fall to the left or right.

Well, I decided to give it a try one day, because I was tired of the wired earbuds getting in the way all the time. I bought a pair of Altec Lansing trueEVO at my local BX on base. It took some getting used to, because I don't really like an earbud sticking in my ear canal. But eventually I got used to it. After a few months, now I'm wondering how I got along without wireless earbuds. Seriously.

I see some people at the gym wearing bluetooth over-the-ear or on ear full size headphones, like Bose QC II, and others. But I sweat a lot and wouldn't want to ruin mine. Plus I don't want to work out wearing full size head phones, they would quickly become gross and smelly. Now, I'm fully converted to wireless earbuds. It's the only way to go now for me.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  12. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

I don't use wireless ear buds for the simple fact I feel I could loose them. Now the wired apple ear buds I use seldom fall out unless the wire is caught on something so perhaps the wireless would not be falling out all the time on me?

13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It might be worth considering some of the partially wired options - designed so that rather than being completely separate, the two earbuds are joined with a short wire. This allows them to move the battery/controls to a point partially along the wire where it doesn't interfere or weigh down the earbuds, but still gives you the freedom from being wired all the way to your device.

I have tried the Sennheiser CX6 headphones which I got on well with, though there are a whole host of options available, and I would agree that I would be more comfortable using something like these over the completely independent earpod style options if you are going to be very active while wearing them.

14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Is there a reason you are avoiding the more common fitted earbuds?

There are a whole range of options for wireless headphones available using the partially fitted type of earbud - those where the headphone sits just inside your ear, typically with a range of different silicone or foam tips to allow you to get a good fit. I will admit that if you have never tried this type of headphone they may take a little getting used to, but in use I have found them very comfortable, and they will also perform a lot better than the non-fitted type as they provide a better seal and isolation from outside noise, and the fitting can also be that bit mor secure which is handy for small independent earbuds.

15. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

I just don't like having anything in my ear (canal)

16. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

They do.

A massive resource for me is:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/

Of the TWS style 'earbuds' most incorporate some kind of earpod/airpod'ish shape.

I had the Sabbat X12 Pro (do not get E12/E12 pro, as it is NOT earpod style) and for $30-40 were pretty good.

These are the best deals I could find.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-Sweatproof-Cancelling/dp/B07RPBGRXG/
    https://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Earbuds-Bluetooth-Earphones-Super-Fast/dp/B07G1V5VKP/

To make them more secure, and sound better (keep the bass) use earbud foams on them like this:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/page-518#post-15022904

There is also the Mifo O2, but I haven't heard/tried them.

And lastly you could use an TWS bluetooth adapter to turn a detatchable connector earbud into one. There are off the top of my head the TRN BT20 & BT20S, Fiio utws1 (made by TRN for Fiio, newest version) and the much more expensive Fostex TM2.

I've had both the BT20 and then got the BT20S as I'm and Android phone user and wanted the aptx codec and longer battery life. I use them with various mmcx earbuds and iem's (in ear monitors, the ones you don't like).

Some pics here:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2875

echo victor likes this.