1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Earbuds suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Cao87, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Hey at some point I am looking for a pair of wireless earbuds
    1. No noise cancelling ( not sure if that exists or not) because these would be for when I go for a walk and I like to hear what’s around me
    2. Not sure about budget
    3. good battery life
    4. Comfortable to wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I have been using the Trekz Air bone conduction headphones. You can find them at Sam's Club, Costco, and Best Buy and online at Amazon. They stay outside the ear, just in front of them. The ear is completely open to hear what is going on around, carry on a conversation, whatever. I have tried many, and still retain some for different purposes. I keep a set of Beats X for riding my motorcycle or mowing, JLabs Buds for similar uses, and a Jabra Steel for work. I also have a set of Trekz Titanium because I wanted to try that type on the lowest priced model before upgrading to the Trekz Air. I have worn them for 10-12 hours when travelling, and they are comfortable. Enough that I sometimes forget they are on my head. I use them for navigation, music and phone calls.

3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I am loving the AirPods pro. They do have noise canceling but it can be turned off, or you can switch them into transparency mode which lets the ambient noice around you in with whatever you are listening to.

rdisom likes this.
  4. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

I have the jaybird Vista and are really happy with them.. They don't have any ambient sound mode but in the other side you can use one at the time and crank out about 32h out of them

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

5. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

What you mean by "no noise cancelling" is called no isolation or non isolating earphones. The isolating type fill your ear canals and block external noise to one degree or another. Like earplugs.

As mentioned already the Trekz Air line of bone conduction headphones may work for you. They don't have the greatest sound quality (if you are an audiophile) but they do not block your ear canals at all.

I have a pair of Sabbat X12 Pro bluetooth ear phones. They are earpod/airpod shaped ear bud design that does not isolate... they can be found for around $60 on Amazon. Be sure to get X12, not E12 (which isolates/blocks noise).

They're pretty good. Small, light weight, sound good and pretty comfortable. They last 4.5 hrs on SBC if you have an older phone, if newer with AAC they last about 6-6.5 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, you could always get airpods too. The most pricey option.

rdisom likes this.
  6. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Thanks I get confused by all these terms

7. assassin10000

8. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My two favorite BT headphones are:
    • Bose QC30 -- neckband style with their crazy comfortable "StayHear" eartips, I can wear these for the entire 10 hour battery life, no problem. These are noise-canceling but you can set the level of noise canceling from zero to pretty darn quiet using on-wire controls or the app. Excellent, neutral sound quality. I fly all the time for work and the noise canceling is huge in terms of how I feel at the end of a flight. Cons: The mic picks up all the background noise -- don't use these for calls except in very quiet places. Some people don't like neckband-style, and they can look a little weird. Expensive.
    • Bose SoundSport Free -- true wireless earbud style with the same StayHear eartips, sweat proof, same great sound, no noise canceling. Five hours "onboard" power with two full recharges from the case. Uses the same app. The mic seems to work a bit better for calls than on the QC30. Cons: Expensive.

9. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Is it worth getting a budget pair or should I save up for a more expensive pair

10. assassin10000

I dunno if I'd call them budget but I use my x12 pro's almost daily. Having no wires is great.

You can get wireless earphones with Ambient sound, but they may never be as natural as the earbud style IMO. This is typically available on the more expensive BT earphones but not all of them.

Also there is the Sound Quality to consider as well. Some may have ambient but may not sound all that good to you. Do you have audiophile leanings? Or is SQ a secondary consideration?

Last edited by assassin10000, Feb 8, 2020
    #10 assassin10000, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

• How likely are you to beat them up or lose them?
    • How long will it take you to save up for what you really want?
    If your answers are “I take really good care of my things” and “not long”, I’d buy a nice pair, especially if you can try them first in person and/or buy them from a place with a great return policy. If your answers are “I’m really careless and can’t keep anything for more than week without wrecking it” and “years” then you’re probably one of my children and I’m going to ground you for having an account on EDCF without permission :bounce:.

echo victor likes this.
  12. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Do you know if iPhone 7+ will work with Bluetooth v 5
    Also I’m looking at anker sound buds not sure what one yet are they any good and any suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 Cao87, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Apple's specs say that the iPhone 7 and 7+ have Bluetooth version 4.2. Bluetooth 5 devices should connect to it, I would think.

14. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Another question is do most earbuds work in cold weather

15. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Batteries will run down faster if they get cold, so it’s going to depend on how cold they get. How cold they get will be dependent on how cold it is outside and whether the design and what you’re wearing are able to keep the battery protected from the cold, or able to pick up your body heat.

A new device with a freshly charged battery should probably give most of its designed runtime. The battery will degrade over time, and you’ll likely see a more noticeable reduction in runtime in very cold conditions.

Lots of good info at https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures.

16. assassin10000

Yes.

You won't have the range of a BT 5.0 and the battery life will most likely not be as good.

Should be ok for the most part. They are in your ears and will be somewhat warmed by body heat. If you wear a hood, beanie, etc. that would also help. They are plastic (usually) on the outside and shouldn't be too terrible in cold weather.

Some of the metal shell IEM's have problems in cold or humid weather with internal condensation.

17. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

What anker earbud line is better or do you suggest the soundbud or soundcore

18. assassin10000

Neither. Both are isolating types and don't match your first requirement of being able to hear your surroundings.

19. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Ok I guess I’ll keep looking so is the difference between sabbat x12 pro and x12 ultra

#19 Cao87, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  20. assassin10000

Yes.

X12 pro is earbud style and does not block sound.
    E12 is IEM style (in ear monitor) and blocks noise.