1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Eagletac D25A versus Streamlight 1L-1AA

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by bryan123, May 27, 2018.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

What do you folks think? I'm looking for a single AA edc flashlight. Currently my other "real" lights are single AAA, Fenix E05 and Thrunite T01. Like both but want another option with greater capability.

Thanks

2. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Empty Pockets

Idk anything about the first one you mentioned, but I love my streamlight products! I’ve had a protac 1l-1aa for a while now and it is great! I’ve been using it with 123 batteries so far and the brightness is fantastic! The runtime is supposed to be something crazy like 4 hours with a lithium AA, iirc. It’s a great size to carry clipped on your back pocket :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

Have you considered the Thorfire TG06S? runs on AA or 14500 up to 500 lumens. I have two and both work flawless. Got 'em on sale at Amazon for around $12 each.

4. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Haven't tried the D25A but I've had the D25C (CR123 version) and I really liked that. It seems the D25A is pretty similar.

Other than that there's a ton of good AA flashlights these days, Olight, Zebralight, Streamlight, Thrunite and so on if you haven't decided it should be one of those two.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The D25 is a great little light and seems a lot smaller in my hand than the Streamlight which has dual battery capability making them 2 completely different animals really.
    I think they need to be seen next to each other to really appreciate the size difference?
    I also prefer the screwed on clip of the ET in general though I have not had a lot of Streamlight clips come off either they are not screwed on.

The Streamlight has the 10 Tap programming and I often set mine to get rid of the strobe which I do not need ever where the D25 Strobe can sneak up on you if you are not tracking the head tightened setting all the time.

If I had to pick one for EDC (and I dont) I prefer the D25 just because I can get one with the neutral emitter option which makes a much better every day user for me vs. the Streamlight which seem to trend toward Angry Blue tint to me in general no matter what they claim about the emitter tint?

I am in the place right now where the quality of the light output means more to me than almost anything else.

If I thought I might need the fuel capability then the Streamlight is the clear choice.

The answer is obviously get both!!!

#5 EZDog, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    bryan123 likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@bryan123: check out a review of the Eagletac D25A by Nick Shabazz on YouTube:

I follow Nick's reviews on many things; he is very very thorough. Turns out not only did he consider this light an "...absolute gem...", but he states he has chosen it for his own edc. He does not seem to do that with very many items he reviews...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

bryan123 likes this.
  7. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi Moshe,

The model in titanium that Nick Shabazz reviewed appears to have been a limited edition as it's currently not available on the South American River or anywhere else. That's the one I really wanted.

8. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

If a tailswitch isn't an absolute necessity and you're willing to go up the price of a D25A in Ti I would highly recommend a look at the Zebralight SC5C, priced about the same and have an output comparable to the D25C (which uses CR123). Without a doubt in my mind that is currently the best AA flashlight there is, if you don't have to have the rear switch.

9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

The D25A Ti N219 is one of my favorite emergency lights with a good selection low low modes that preserves night vision and provides long runtimes. The Streamlight w/ a 40 lm low is a non starter for me. I actually like the blinky options, there's a couple slow steady flashers that convey 'Warning' as opposed to 'EMERGENCY' and 'HELP' that would be more useful for a bicycle or changing a car tire by the roadside. The Ti version is one of the easiest lights to rig to run literally any battery (w/ a paperclip), at least in a ceiling bounce or lantern mode. Some don't realize it, but the D25A UI reset is a very short ~0.7 secs, so a long half press will reset back to low as if you're turning on from off - this means you never accidentally enter the blinkies, and you can toggle btwn low and med with short and long half-presses.

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

hmmm....

bryan123 likes this.
  11. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

hmmm....?

Shabbat Shalom,

Dov Ben Yitzchak Yosef

Last edited by bryan123, Jun 1, 2018
    #11 bryan123, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Eagletac D25A is a great light, great form factor and lots of mode options, but the clip suck. paper thin, bends with no force, and very hard to bend back because you need to screw it off

13. Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337 Loaded Pockets

No experience with the D25A, however I currently edc the Protac 1l-1aa and love it. Bought as a replacement for a lost Protac 1L, I was drawn to the dual battery type flexibility of the 1L-1AA. So far i've not needed to use a AA, and a single CR123 seems to last me a few months with daily bump tests and everything from car repairs to searching for something under the bed. I may have put 3 batteries in it total over the past 2 years, YMMV.

I wish the clip gripped the flashlight body a little more or wrapped around the body a couple more mm since it'll pop out of the clip a bit easy IMO and I've found it at the bottom of my pocket on occasion. I can say that if I lost it too, I'd buy another :).

Good luck, they both sound like good lights!

bryan123 likes this.
  14. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

OP here. At my local Cabela's the Streamlight was on sale so I picked it up. My first impression is that I like it a lot!!

Unreal brightness with the CR 123 A lithium battery.

15. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

The D25A Ti Nichia is my favorite EDC light. I like its modes, the GITD clicky, tailstand ability, good clip and size. plus it looks great and is durable - mine is almost 3 years old and I use it every day almost.
    The only thing I don't like about it is the potential for loss and replacement as its not cheap.
    My other favorite budget light is the 4 mode L10C AA Nichia. Very similar to the D25A but a third the price.

16. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I’ve owned the D25A in aluminum and Ti and the Streamlight 1AA. Either is a good light and a good choice for EDC. The clip is better on the Eagletac and the rear clicky switch is also better, IMO.

The ten tap programming is cool on the Streamlight but it’s not a factor for me. I believe the D25A is a better built light and if I was forced to choose it would be the Eagletac. Although I might use the SL if things could get messy, it’s kind of a no nonsense, utilitarian well made light.

The ET Ti model is the obvious choice but it’s impossible to find for some reason. I wonder if they are about to release a new version? I like it well enough to buy the newer model if/when it comes out.

The Reylight LAN Ti is another option but also hard to find today, it will be my next light when it’s available