1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Eagletac D25A clicky Cree XM-L2 U2

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by GeneralGlenn, Jul 7, 2015.

1. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Eagletac D25A clicky Cree XM-L2 U2

What's in the box:
    [​IMG]
    Registration card and manual (also available online)
    [​IMG]
    Mil-Spec paracord lanyard with split ring, clip, squeezy thingy to keep it attached to your wrist or other objects (I'm thinking a spear, for boar hunting, Viking style). There's also a replacement o-ring and a separate split ring. Nice to have stuff.

Now here's where the impressive stuff starts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is one awesome sheath. There's a good chance I'll never use it, but this thing is awesome. It's a hard sheath, so it will provide some protection against banging up against things! Snap closure for secure and silent (compared to Velcro) open and close. The light fits tight in there, so no rattle, but it's not stuck in there. The flap hangs over the sheath when open, so even with the flap open, the light won't just fall out. The belt attachment is Velcro, so no taking your belt off to put the sheath on. Also possible to attach it to Molle loops. Lastly, a D ring is attached above the belt loop for more options.

Now really on to the light!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compared to the fenix e01 and an Eneloop AA:
    [​IMG]

Made of aluminium and comes with a good pocket clip. You need a special wrench to take it off, sold by Eagletac. I'm not touching it as it's on there tight.
    It works on a single AA, but will take li-ion as well according to the manual, I'm using an Eneloop.

So there are a couple of modes, divided into two groups. It's a reverse clicky so no momentary on. Click to turn on, half press to cycle through the modes. Group one is head loosened, group 2 is head tightened.

Group 1 (moon mode disabled): low med high low med high *6 blinkies*.

Group 1 (moon mode enabled): moon med high moon mid high *6 blinkies*.

Group 2 (not affected by moon mode): turbo and strobe.

The light doesn't have memory, so it will always go to the lowest mode, as long as the flashlight has been off for 0.7 second or longer (half press counts as long as you hold it down for more than 0.7 seconds) this way, the blinkies are easily evaded, but there if you need them.

Lumen and runtime are nice, and as follows according to the ANSI standard:
    .05-9-85-141 (moon, low, med ,high) for the XM-L2 U2 neutral white LED. Runtimes respectively are 150 and 1.3 hours. The middle modes are not available on the website, box, or in the manual.

The led is a good compromise between brightness and colour representation, bright yet nice to look with.

The mode spacing is excellent, allowing you to find the toilet, read a map and illuminate half a forest (not really, but you get the idea).

The clicky is strong but and has a nice resistance and is flat allowing the d25a to tailstand.

It really does it all, low to high, and is exactly what I was looking for.

Recommend to everyone looking for a good around EDC light under $50.

Montag84, Wodan, JPE and 7 others like this.
  2. Ben Rubinstein

You can't remove the clip with regular screw/allen heads?

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  3. GeneralGlenn

Technically you can, but they won't fit perfectly, so there's a good chance of stripping. It doesn't bother me but is good to know before purchasing.

Edit: according to eagletac its a 'special' size Allen key.

4. Ben Rubinstein

You got it fast enough! :)

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the new toy - glad to hear you like it.

ET says it's a 1.55mm. I find an SAE 1/16th fits my samples just fine. Technically 1/16" = 1.5875mm so if it fits at all, it fits better ;).

Not sure how the black ano clips are but the polished stainless ones that I've seen are on the delicate side. Be careful not to overbend them, clips loose spring once bent/bent back. Also careful not to over torque those clip screws, better to use Loctite thread lock than strip aluminum.

Doraemon and GeneralGlenn like this.
  6. GeneralGlenn

I was just paraphrasing from the manual, don't know how they actually work, and I'm not going to check. Do they loosen over time or is it stuck on there good? I'll be keeping it on anyway so unless it loosens by itself, I'm not touching it
    The clip is nice and springy and retention is tight enough but not too tight. Pretty good I must say. I've never ever bent a clip (touch wood) so I'm hoping this will go well. Doesn't seem to delicate, but not terribly sturdy either. We'll see how it goes

Thanks! I'm enjoying it a lot! The UI is pretty much perfect, even though the blinky modes are not used. Very intuitive and fully one hand operational. Happy I picked this one

I can't stop playing with it, and I can't wait for it to get dark and take it outside for a proper test.

Edit: and the tip on the 0.7 half press thing is excellent! Helps a lot. Thanks very much for that!

Doraemon likes this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Shame that the clip isn't reversible, I do like the feature of being able to clip a torch to the brim of a cap if need be.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  8. GeneralGlenn

The benefits of a small country ;) 1 day shipping is pretty much the norm these days

Doraemon likes this.
  9. GeneralGlenn

If there's one drawback it's that. But, I never ever wear a cap, so theres no point in not buying it for that reason for me. I wear a bowler on occasion and that doesn't work with a flashlight anyway, so no harm done

10. GeneralGlenn

By the way reppans, do you have an EDC thread? Can't find one if you do:(

11. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

If you tend to be careful with clips, you'll be fine, I am as well and never bent mine, nor had a reason to unscrew it, other to play with it. There are a few Ti D25 "hooks" to be found in the member photos though. I normally have no use for blinkies, but the D25s does have one that I like - a low lumen, steady blink that would make a good bicycling daytime front warning light.

Edit.... I have no personal EDC thread :(

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  12. GeneralGlenn

I consider myself a careful individual with all of my possessions. I beat the living daylights out of my Bucklite Max medium, only to love it back to health, but all the other ones only get used for what they're intended for like I said, never bent a clip in my life.

What do you mean with 'hooks'? Severely bent clips?

I'm not saying that you should start one, but I had a look through the threads you started and I'm thinking it would be an interesting thread to follow
    Please let me know when you do start one!

Doraemon, reppans and kd7dvd like this.
  13. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

+1 on reppans starting an ego thread!

14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Your black clip looks hefty actually; yes hooks are clips no longer touching the body.

Thanks for the kind note, though - I may get around to one at some point, but for the most part, I think my EDC/ideas are too off-the-wall/weird and get little traction here.

15. Ben Rubinstein

That's all the fun! Same=boring :)

16. GeneralGlenn

I disagree on it not getting traction here. We are very different people with very different interests that unite through the power of EDC and a sprinkle of 'live and let live (pick whatever expression fits). The point being, a lot of people here use other people's experiences to enrich their own, and draw inspiration from other people's gear and their way of doing things. I know I have.

The choice is yours of course and I mean in no way to force, but I'm quite sure that if you did you'll find it to be a good thing.

Also, +1 on what Ben said, variety is the spice of life

AK Adventurer and reppans like this.
  17. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I for one, always enjoy hearing from you, Because your ideas are different or a bit off the wall. :)