1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

E2D vs 6PD [both leds] & V21

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by isneyk, Jul 27, 2008.

1. isneyk

isneyk Empty Pockets

any suggestions before i blow my hard earned, long-time-buried, under-the-ground money on either the 6PD or E2DL?

upgradability in the future? your forecasts maybe?
    bang for buck?
    much preffered as an EDC?
    points to consider?

this will be my first purchase so i really would like to make the best choice for field emergency/disaster/response situations & "that bezel" for late night commutes. i am in the medical/healthcare field who will be seeing action in NYC soon.

thanks! :popcorn:

2. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Re: E2D vs 6PD [both leds]

Okay, let's break this down by model:

6PD-LED

Upgradeability: High potential. The LED module can easily be swapped out for a new one as technology improves.

Bang for the buck: Depends on what your most valued proporty of the light is

Much preffered as EDC: No clip, so it's down to holster or clipless pocket carry. The body is slightly wider in diameter.

Points to consider: Less durable finish than the E2DL. Single stage. Wider beam with a less intense spot and more intense spill.

E2DL:

Upgradeability: Less than the 6P, but still good. To upgrade the LED you have to get the head modded, or buy a whole new one.

Bang for the Buck: again, what's your priority?

EDC? It has a clip, but the points on both the tailcap and the bezel might be uncomfortable. The knurling used by SF has been known to tear up pockets.

Points to consider: Two stage high->low operation. Very intense center spot with enough spill to make it practical; definitely not a floodlight. More expensive.

3. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

I carry my 6PD every day! I love the interchangeability of bulbs and the lumen rating is higher for most 6P-type bulbs. It's also cheaper and mine is black, which I like. :) There are a lot more accessories for 6P flashlights. I sometimes wear mine in a Bianchi Accumold holder.

4. WolfAmmoMan

WolfAmmoMan Banned

I have both the E2D & the 6PD. I prefer the 6P Defender since I can use my R2 290 Lumen LED Lamp Upgrades :woohoo:

5. flip

flip Empty Pockets

I have both an E2D and a few 6Ps. I have put imported leds in the 6Ps and I used an adapter to put a C bezel on the E2D and it has a Surefire P60L led in it. I find the E2D a little easier to hold onto since both the head and the tailcap is larger than the body.

6. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

Both are surefire. One a E-Series(E2DL) and the other C-series (6PDL).
    So what are you after, a flood or throw beam?
    Is 2 stage, Hi/Lo a requirement?
    Do you need to use it often, therefore is rechargeable an option/requirement?
    How do you intend to carry it? Holster, bag, pocket etc?

If comparing these two, IMO E2DL outweigh the 6PDL as its got more merit such as compact, lumens, 2 stage, able to use R123s, Pocket clip, and better anodising. Only con is its price..........

7. isneyk

isneyk Empty Pockets

Great thanks guys.

i know now what to get! :roof:

8. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

So what's it gonna be? :evilgrin:

9. WolfAmmoMan

WolfAmmoMan Banned

Why make this difficult choice? Just get both ! :D :roof:

10. isneyk

isneyk Empty Pockets

how does the E2DL fit in the V20 holster?
    i know SF doesnt recommend it but you might have some inputs or other suggestions in mind.
    i want something similar w/ the v21. horizontal & vertical carry would be a plus.
    :popcorn:

So you wanna know? I'll let you know as long as we keep this our little secret :whisper: , I will be getting the E2DL...
    ............then the E1B, L1, G2L, Invictus, Fenix TK10....... (& the list goes on)........:doh:

11. Solscud007

Solscud007 Empty Pockets

There is another option. You could get a M2 or C2 Centurion for the HA coating. Now if you want the strike bezel, there are people out there that make bezels in Stainless steel or titanium.

Light hound sells the SS bezel. you could get a tool to swap the crenelated bezel onto a C2 or M2 head.

Also for more options, you might want to look into blackhawk and their nightops line. they make a nice tactical holster.

here are some pics i took of mine.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=201866

12. isneyk

isneyk Empty Pockets

to be more specific,

-will be edc'ing it on my belt bezel down
    -nylon preferred
    -will accept the flashlight with and without an F04 beam diffuser
    -horizontal & vertical carry is a plus

i REALLY want the V20 sheath but have no idea on how is it with the E2DL?
    is it too tight? bezel down? how 'bout with the F04 on?

13. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

I'm basing this on my L4 with a water bottle cap on the bezel for a diffuser, but the E2DL should work bezel down with an F04. The V20 rides a little too high for my preference, but I use it anyway and it works well with either an E series or a P series light.