1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dyed a Camelbak Trizip

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by s3k0j, Apr 15, 2016.

1. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

First time post, long time reader etc etc. Shared this stuff with my wife, she's supportive, but thinks I'm crazy. Wanted to share this with someone who gets it!

I've been trolling these forums for a long time, and one mod that always caught my eye was dyeing cordura for a different color. Finding pictures has been difficult, so I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting into. Hopefully these pics will help someone else decide if they'd like to do the same thing.

I have a camelbak trizip in multicam, it has been on a couple of long trips, and it has held up very well. I'm a fan of the design, but I like the clean colors/style of the Mystery Ranch packs it is based on more. However, free is a lot cheaper than a new pack, and I figured I would give dyeing a shot.

I wanted to de-militarize it a little bit (should remove the flag right?...). So I chose a dark green/black combo of dye, I used about 5 gallons of near-boiling water, and an entire bottle of black and dark green RIT dye. I ended up having to dye it twice. Following the online instructions for the stovetop method, I poured the hot water into a plastic tub, and submerged the torn-down pack.

The first time it was in a total of about 20 minutes, with me agitating the mix the whole time. For the second round, I submerged and held it down with weight and spacers for a total of about 40 minutes (didn't want a round 3...).

The first round ended with a blue-ish green color that I wasn't satisfied, so I dyed it a second time. The zippers/hardware/back panel/accent pieces didn't take the dye at all, and the contrast ended up very clean. No idea on how long it will last, but I don't wash the pack on a regular basis, so I'm not too worried about the color bleeding out anytime soon. Overall I'm happy with the results, still have my eye on a MR pack though!

The results are below. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    Front shot
    [​IMG]
    Front shot w/flash
    [​IMG]
    Color comparison with a pair of multicam pants (looked identical prior to dying)
    [​IMG]
    Color comparison with flash
    [​IMG]
    Back shot (with flash)
    [​IMG]
    Interior shot (with flash)
    [​IMG]
    Closeup of pattern (flash makes it look shiny, but you can still barely see the pattern)

Overall, the materials cost about $20, took 2 nights of my time, and a couple of wash and dry cycles. I didn't take a picture of the hip belt attached, but it is identical in color, with the brown hardware still. Hopefully this inspires someone else to give it a shot!

BERSERKER101, mole, lnytunes and 8 others like this.
  2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

A well done work, i'd say ! :)

3. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Nice little project to introduce yourself with... The contrasting zippers are visually stunning - and really knock the edge off the tactical look. From a distance the bag looks much more REI than Ranger Joes for the most part.

I have a Blackhawk! Three day pack in tan that I keep wanting to make a more neutral grey. This project is in spring me.

4. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Really like the looks of it, especially the contrast!

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, that looks pretty cool.

6. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

That looks great to me. I always considered dyeing a couple of packs that owned but I was too chicken! ;)

7. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies! I almost started to remove the pals webbing, but after cutting the first stitch, I noticed the Cordura under the bar tack never took any dye.

So unless I want a bunch of vertical brown lines on the bag, I think I'm done!

8. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Dont think I would say you're done. I would say you done great. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

So a buddy was gracious enough to lend me his identical bag for a photo. Here is the original muliticam pattern, and my altered pack. He had a run-in with rats, so there are a few patches, but he did a good job fixing it up. Also finally got my hands on my FIWDIL patches, they turned out great too!

[​IMG]

malraux72 likes this.
  10. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Looks great. It is also cool that the CB logo didn't take the dye (I wonder why); it makes it pop. I had my eye on CB TriZip too but was in ACU so I didn't pull the trigger. I will have to reconsider.

11. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

This is a stupid question but can you dye 600d nylon?
    I have a pack that I want to dye black.

12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have a tablet carrying case that became faded. I'm going to give this atry.

Sent from a tiny screen...

13. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

I do not see why not. The tri-zip is 500d cordura (a brand of nylon material). The key to dyeing nylon (according to the RIT dye page, and my very limited experience) is heat. If you end up using RIT, follow their stovetop directions (in my case, I boiled water in a 13gal pot then transferred it to a container suitable for submerging the entire pack, 2 rounds).

As for the black, what you see with my bag is 2 rounds of dyeing, with a black and green bottle of dye each time. The first time it ended up dark blue almost, and the second time I left it in for over an hour, still ended up a dark dark green.

Darker is easier, just make sure you keep the water hot, and if you want black, I suggest leaving it in longer rather than shorter. It will always look darker wet too, so it may lighten up when you dry it off if you do not leave it in long enough.

Hope that helps, good luck, and post some before/after shots!

14. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Pics or it didn't happen!

15. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

If you dye cordura use 1 cup vinegar per gallon of water. The vinegar acts as a acid and will help the dye get into the pores of the material better. I wrote a how to here at edcf.

Exwai and adnj like this.
  16. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Dyed a Blackhawk! Three day pack this weekend after being inspired by this thread.

Original color was desert tan. I used 3/4 of a bottle of pearl grey liquid RIT and 1/4 of a dark blue RIT bottle alone with a cup of salt. Intent was for a grey color, somewhere between wolf and MAS grey.

Resulting color was darker and greener than I desired, but at least passable as grey. Rear foamy panel, one section of webbing and some thread stayed basically the original tan shades. Pictures with white paper and a Fat Tire beer coaster for a color scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tattoosteve99 and MCPOWoller like this.
  17. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Nice, I like the contrast between the back pad and the rest of the bag.

18. Quino171

Quino171 Empty Pockets

I wanna try this

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

19. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

Decided to perform the dye treatment on another bag of mine.

This deuter bag I have is great, just the right size and organization, but it screams in a bright flourescent green. Makes sense if you're tooling around the mountain on a snowboard like these packs are meant for. For day-to-day I wanted something a little muted, so I decided $10 for dye would be cheaper than a whole new backpack (and the wife is starting to catch on...)

I only put this one through 1 round of dyeing with Rit dyemore dye, and there are a couple of mottled parts where the dye didn't take quite right, but overall I'm happy with the appearance, and if it bothers me I can always put it under for another round.

Here is the front original and dyed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a shallow shot of the inside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again what took the dye and what didn't is always interesting, and the contrast between the straps (which didn't take any dye) shows just how much darker the bag is. If you're on the fence, do it, it is very easy to do (if not a little messy), and you can always dye again. Just remember that darker is easier, and I have no idea how to make something lighter!

BERSERKER101 likes this.
  20. jsx1043

jsx1043 Empty Pockets

Came out looking great OP. I wish I had researched a little more and tried the Rit dye with a USMC ILBE daypack that I screwed up with some other weird paint attempt...