1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dusty ol' photograph-er

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by aicolainen, Oct 6, 2022.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Yesterday I was having a go at my man-cave, which was overdue for some spring cleaning. Scattered among all my ongoing and abandoned projects, tools, gears and parts - emerged the remains of my photography hobby.
    Unlike earlier attempts to get organized, I didn't just ignore the camera gear in order to suppress bad conscience over neither using it or selling out while it was still worth a d**n. I picked it up in newfound curiosity and literally brushed the dust off.
    Reviving digital camera gear is not like finding an old mechanical/analogue on your grandpa's attic.
    Locating all the right batteries, chargers and putting the ghost back in the bottle was quite the challenge.
    Some of the batteries had given up their ghost entirely, some suffered from planned obsolescence where the camera fired up only to tell me the battery was passed its useful lifespan, and some could still be convinced to take a charge as well as run a camera body.
    Found 3 camera bodies; Nikon 1... something (the OG, I think), Nikon 300S and an Olympus EM... something.
    Got all of them up and running by the end of the evening. It'll be interesting to see how the batteries, that still works, actually holds up in use.
    I actually sense a trace of interest and motivation again, so I'll try to post some pics just to hold myself to the task. Not like a 365 challenge, just bringing along a camera more often when the situation allows and create more photo ops, which hopefully results in more pictures and regular posts. Not necessarily or always EDC/EDCF relevant, but hopefully sometimes.
    Found out via a different forum that yesterday was James Bond day, 60 years since the world premiere of Dr. No.
    My tribute carry was low hanging fruit when I suddenly needed something to photograph:
    [​IMG]
    Camera: Nikon D300S w/Tamron 17-50/2.8 (the only combo w/ suitable focal length I could get up and running in time).
    LM SideClip… I googled “James Bond knife”, and the internet returned a Gerber automatic. Can’t have that, so I picked a non-locking, UK legal Leatherman that’s not entirely unlikely to share a gene or two with the current Bond.
    I also don’t have any Omega Seamasters or Rolex Submariners laying around. I have a watch from a UK watch brand though (my one and only), which isn’t half bad.
    And ofc, my good ol’ PPK. Just as ofc; range carry only for this one, cause such are the rules in Nannystateistan.

Oh, almost forgot. My Bentley wouldn’t fit in the frame. So unfortunately I can’t show it to you

Mabrowns, Nick4305 and Enzo01 like this.
  2. aicolainen

On this chill and rainy Saturday, I chose to start my day with a coffee in front of the fireplace.
    This activity didn’t require much in the way of preparations, so jumping into my regular clothes, my regular EDC just followed along
    [​IMG]
    Captured with: Olympus OM-D E-M10 and 45mm/F1.8

Nick4305 and Mabrowns like this.
  3. aicolainen

My pick for outs n’ abouts this weekend
    [​IMG]
    Last camera body up and running: Nikkon 1 V1 and Nikkor 10mm/f2.8@2.8,1/50

Great autumn day in the forest. Crisp air and beautiful colors.

ran23 and Nick4305 like this.
  4. aicolainen

Walking along the river to work. It’s about a 12 mile walk, so this is just a couple of pics from the urban area, near the fjord.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nikon V1 w/ Nikkor 10mm/f2.8
    It struggles a bit in bright light. Not the craziest dynamic range on this thing.

ran23 likes this.