1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Duracell Battery warning

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by xevious, Jan 20, 2018.

1. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I am relying upon Eneloop cells much more often now. But you have to be careful about deep discharge, as I'm seeing run time reduction from it (happened accidentally, as I lost track of which cell needed recharging and it sat for a few months in a very low discharge state).

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Somehow I am not totally surprised. In many instances, particularly with older US companies who go off shore (the issues do not only happen in China. I've seen identical and sometimes WORSE quality performance for example with companies back in the 70's and 80's who went off-shore to Haiti when there was a big deal about setting up places in the Caribbean. Actually now that I think about it, Haiti was light years WORSE than China!

What happens is that some of the companies just sign an agreement with a local for production to be done and have the US company name put on the goods. Sort of a private branding effort. Not even nearly as good as a Joint Venture... This can work if the overseas company is on top of their game (think Flextronics in contract electronics assembly for example); but if they're not and the US company is lazy about oversight? Shudder!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

Yeah, reason #999 not to use Alkalines.

They leak, they are weak, they are expensive over time. Replace all low mAh devices with NiMH cells. All high drain devices too or L91s if you must.

I do not remember if Duracell is worse than Energizer. I think they all have the potential to leak.

4. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

I lost a 3D mag to leaky Energizers. Left it in the car over winter. Cold weather and all that.
    You need to drill it out but even then it will never be like new and cheaper to get another maglite body and just reuse the head. bodies are $10 or so used.

Glock1097 likes this.
  5. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

A friend got me some Duracell branded 3 day emergency kits a couple of weeks ago at the swap meet. They are a couple of years old but everything still good. Opened one of the included flashlights and it still works. Decided to take a look at the batteries and found......Chinese made heavy duty carbon zinc batteries not duracells....are they telling us something?

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes....: Caveat Emptor!

xevious and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Hmmm...how to resolve this. Ah got it. Get an affordable flashlight and when it stops working replace the batteries. If the flashlight dies get a new one. Brilliant.

8. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

I had about twenty or more years of never seeing a Duracell leak. Then it happened. So yeah, eneloops or vigilance or both. In my case it was bad news since the Duracells messed up something that's irreplaceable (old Palm Pilot).

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Ouch! I've gone through a couple of generations first of the Palm Pilot and eventually a Sony that had the functions of the Palm Pilot. Eventually that one died. I switched over to an iPod Touch years ago seeing as it could handle all that my Palm Pilot did and a little more e.g., Internet access. I'm now using a sixth generation (I think) iPod Touch for that functionality. Never bothered to go all the way to a smart phone...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

While it seems to be a good idea on paper, affordable lights that stop working have several other QC problems too and are inherently unreliable. If you cannot predict the failure modes of your tool, then it ceases to be useful.

If cost is an issue, I'll stick with Ikea rechargeable batteries, than Eneloops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

NONSENSE!

Years ago I was in Walmart getting this and that and saw this hand size flashlight for $3.00 which I purchased.

I kid you not 3 or more years later still no need to change the batteries.

I get the whole you get what you pay for, but there are exceptions to the rule and IMHO after owning a Surefire and many of the affordable ones, I found the affordable ones are far superior than the Surefire! These affordable ones I find in Home Depot 99% of the time and sometimes Target. The last Walmart light I bought was a LED lantern due to the lack of lighting in my closet. Works great!

12. D56

D56 Loaded Pockets

Duracell killed my EO1
    I only trust Eneloops.

qualitycarry likes this.
  13. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Oh dear... Fail.

[​IMG]

14. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

December 2023 eh? My watch must be running slow....

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. kscaddo

kscaddo Empty Pockets

I was a Palm Pilot user also, couple different models, then a Dell Axim. At any rate, for me it has been primarily RayOVacs. Oh and Kirkland (Costco brand). When my 89 yo Mom passed shed had a couple 64 packs of AAA Kirkland batts new in packaging all corroded. I am replaceing all AA and AAA with Eneloops now. YMMV. Tired of throwing out flashlights, etc. Just yesterday rotten RayOvacs in my weather station (1 year old).

16. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Brand doesn't matter...all alkalines will eventually leak.

ZMZ67 and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Thats why we call em alkaleaks.

ZMZ67 likes this.
  18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

19. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I know this is an old post, but it's important nonetheless. Alkalines are extremely prone to leakage while in storage. Unfortunately this is a lesson we all typically learn the hard way.

Many years ago I got one of those department store emergency car kits to keep in your trunk. It was a gift and actually had some useful stuff in it - small first aid kit, poncho, mylar blanket and of course a flashlight among other things.

The kit sat in my car for maybe 4 years until the day I actually needed it. Flat tire in middle of nowhere at 1 am. I pop my trunk and use the dim interior light to rummage around and look for the light. Lo and behold, the alkalines leaked despite being a decent brand (Duracell I believe) and having a few years left before expiration. Needless to say the light and batteries were dead.

That in part led me to quality flashlights and better battery solutions.

Of course now I'm fully converted to rechargeable Nimh and 18650s. The only disposable I use is Energizer Lithium primaries in my car light.

But yeah, Duracell and other alkaline brands have killed a few electronics of mine - flashlight, Xbox controller, digital camera...I've learned my lesson for sure.

steeps likes this.
  20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Yep. I think Duracell are worse than most alkaline batteries. Maybe left in the original packaging they will last.
    But put them in something you care about and all bets are off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk