1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dumping the lunch cooler. Moab 10, Covrt 18 or Rush 24 for a tall guy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mizedog, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Edit:
    Updated title.

Hello all.
    Please forgive me starting a whole brand spankin' new thread just to field my own question. But, I'm doing it because I think the question is specific enough, and I'm just needing some advise from those of you who have real world experience with my options. I'm really looking forward to hands free walking. My budget consists of $150 of Cabela's gift cards. I already have a Rush 72 clone Get Home Bag in the Truck.

Question:
    • Should I buy a Moab 10 sling bag, or Covrt 18 backpack?
    • Will the Moab 10's strap be long enough for a tall guy?

I work in a financial operations office that's business casual. Ages in the office run from early 20s to nearing retirement. I'm technically bridging the gap between Baby Boomer and Gen X. I'm also tall (6'4"), and not skinny. I recently noticed that no one carries a big ol' lunch cooler like mine. Instead, I see small sacks, messenger bags, duffles, and small insulated lunch coolers (usually soft sided). I'm thinking that carrying my cooler makes me look like I'm going on a picnic. I picked it up because I take leftovers in glass containers and they are heavy. I can limit the glass to just one, and go plastic for my salad.

The big cooler is on the right. An example of a glass container in front with a Vic Explorer for scale reference. My wife's Maxcool lunch cooler is on the left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Current "EDC" set up:
    Food goes inside the cooler. I carry my computer glasses in one side mesh pocket.

In the front zipper pocket I carry:
    1. Prescription pills
    2. Bottle of Zyrtec
    3. Bottle of nasal spray (allergies)
    4. Victorinox Waiter
    5. Plastic eating utensiles
    6. Glasses cleaning clothe
    7. Salene eye drops

Top desk drawer:
    Vic Classic SD
    Chapstick
    Second desk drawer:
    Condor pocket organizer -
    • AA flashlight
    • Leatherman 1st Gen multitool
    • First Aid goodies
    • Snack bar
    • 7" pry bar
    • Write In The Rain pad
    • Pens
    • N95 mask
    I keep the Condor there in case we have a disaster, or fire drill. I'm on the fire safety team and would assist in building evacs. When we have a fire drill, I grab the Condor and take it with me.

What I'd like the capacity to carry in a new lunch/EDC:
    • Lunch (probably in a thin bag/neoprene, to go in a MOAB 10 or COVRT 18)
    • The contents of the Condor so it's always with me.
    • Small umbrella or light wind shell (Colorado Springs has almost daily afternoon thunderstorms, then sun again)
    • Hat and gloves (in winter)
    • Discreet change of clothes (simple skivies, maybe a shirt)
    • Contents of my cooler zip pocket
    • Sunglasses
    • Computer glasses case
    • Maybe a water bottle (think Stanley)
    • Hands free carry

The MOAB 10 should be able to handle all of this, except maybe the water bottle. I'm concerned that the strap would not be long enough for me. I could also use this for day trips such as to the zoo, short hikes, etc.
    Pros:
    Smaller, hands free carry option. Sling pack is more secure in public spaces. There won't be tons of unused space. Only $100 (allows me to get other goodies and stay within budget).
    Cons:
    Too tacticool for a business office (would have to get black). Water bottle may not fit in CCW pocket and would have to go inside. May not carry well with heavier glass container full of lunch. Won't carry a laptop (not a consistent need).

The COVRT 18 should be ok for my taller frame and carry everything I need plus more.
    Pros:
    Large enough. Has two water bottle holders. Less tacticool with discreet MOLLE. Can carry my large laptop (not a consistent need). Would work great for at a theme park or zoo for carrying the family's junk. More color options. Would work well for day hikes.
    Cons:
    $130 (not much room for extra goodies). Maybe too large for office EDC (if left on desk, would stand up too tall and could be a distraction). One strap carry would require holding with a hand (no hands free carry). May look too much like something a college student would carry. It's not something different.

So, what's input? I'd really like not to have a full backpack, but am willing too, especially since it could be used outside of work. But, the idea of hands free carry and simply throwing the sling bag over my head is attractive to me. I'm just concerned that the MOAB won't carry well, will have a short strap that will make it carry way too high on me, and may look to tactical for an office. It seems like the fabric of the MOAB would hold its shape better that the COVRT's thinner material would.

Please let me have it! Bring on the knowledge! Bring on the opinions! Bring on the socially interactive banter, and bestow on me some advice!
    Thanks!

Last edited by mizedog, Jun 6, 2017
    #1 mizedog, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. Jailer

Jailer Loaded Pockets

I have the 10, but assume the 18 has the same cruddy straps. My Moab is a great bag but the straps prevent me from using it at all

RoadWizard likes this.
  3. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the quick reply, Jailer. Am I understanding correctly that the MOAB 10's sling strap wasn't comfortable? Did the strap ride too hide and bite into your neck?

4. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Oh. Another backpack option would be The North Face Recon ($99). No CCW pocket and I wonder if the fabric is thinner. In black, this bag looks great in an office setting. Has a waist band.
    [​IMG]

Dutchie_27 likes this.
  5. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have the M10. If you don't mind the exposed MOLLE it's ok. I like the modular advantage that MOLLE has. I have my trauma kit on one side and a water bottle bikini on the other. It is large enough for my chromebook and full camera rig.

BUT. the exposed MOLLE and stuff hanging from it makes it a bit of a target. If your gear works with the C18 I would use that for a more conventional office environment.

It sounds like you want the C18 anyway, skip a couple of lattes for the difference in price.

6. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

I'm 6'4 also and the Moab 10 strap is plenty big enough. I just switched mine out. Most because I just wanted something different. after beating on it for a few years with zero wear and tear I could tell it was going anywhere on its own. Wanted to try something less tactical looking and bigger. I carried my empty lunch bag in it but it wasn't (for me) suited for putting my full lunch bag in. Not deep enough. I wanted the c18 but read about to many quality issues. I ended up just recently picking up a blackhawk waxed canvas messanger bag.plenty of room and sinches up like the Moab. Had it about a week and so far it's perfect. Also got a skitch 15 haven't used it much yet but it would require a new strapfor daily use. It need to quick adjust. But I would check out the blackhawk bag or timbuk2,chrome,or mission work shop messanger style bags
    But the Moab has served well for the last 5 years

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

7. Jailer

Jailer Loaded Pockets

It rode fine, but the material has no ventilation and no "grip", so it slides off the shoulder constantly. Of course if you wear it with both straps that won't be an issue, but my Rush 12 and Moab were both intended for EDC so they were often slung over one shoulder.

8. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

9. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I have no direct experience with either of your choices, but have a hard time seeing you get all your stuff in the MOAB 10.

I carry an REI insulated lunch bag inside my Trident 20 and it takes up a good deal of the large compartment. I also had to add external pouches for coffee and water bottles. The extra foam in the Trident helps to keep things cool.

Looks pretty tactical though, but I am not often in the office.

Good luck.

captainkirk

mizedog likes this.
  10. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Henryhoover,
    My phone won't open that link. I'll try it tomorrow morning through my laptop. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

11. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I had a Cvrt18 and found I just didn't use much of any of the special features of the pack. I traded it later after never carrying it. I think if you're LEO or something like that it makes more sense. Of course, if you just like the pack that's plenty reason to purchase as well. But features like the flip-down ID panel were just completely unnecessary for someone like me.

12. Rintimtin

Rintimtin Loaded Pockets

Not sure this will help but try looking at the ebags crew coolers . They have 2 different sizes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

13. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thanks all. I've also been looking at Vertx but think their Commuter sling bag would be too small. The regular Gamut seems really nice, but a little tall, and
    I agree that the RAC panel would have little use for me. I'm attracted to the Moab 10 and the Covrt 18 because of the concealed carry option. I think this would be usable on hikes, etc. Otherwise I would probably carry IWB.

Rintimtin, those are nice lunch coolers. I remember when I first started bringing my current cooler, someone at work made a snide comment on how big it was, and that it had recesses on top to put soda cans (cup holders). The crew cooler, especially the smaller one doesn't look like I'm taking the family out for a picnic. If I go to a backpack, I would put something like the Fit & Fresh Sporty Insulated Lunch Bag inside.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is funny but I would likely be more sure to carry mine every day if anyone made a comment about it!

Why do you care what others think about your lunch?

The Moab is a nice bag but does not carry too well loaded to me.
    I would also be reluctant to carry anything in a glass container in any back pack at any time and would stick with a bag designed to do so or at least not as likely to be ruined by spilled food if anything went wrong?

15. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thanks, EZ. Sadly, the comment came from a rather high placed individual. Despite that, I've used this cooler for several years after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

16. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Dakine have some packs with an insulated section built in. Campus is one model.

mizedog likes this.
  17. shinobi2009

shinobi2009 Loaded Pockets

I have a Moab 10 for EDC and I carry on it Maxped fatty, EDC and Micro pouches and an ipad and sill have plenty space for more, I don´t use it for long walks, just from the car to work. I don´t put food on it because I don´t trust much on the containers. I amply recomend it!

18. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

I have both bags. I love the organization of the MOAB but hated the strap. I like the Covrt18 but it doesn't have the internal organization like the MOAB. If you CCW in your bag you'll like 18. The MOAB's gun pocket is a bit tight for my G30.

You said you're a big guy so if you have some extra weight up top the MOAB is going to be like a push up bra on your man boobs. The strap sits right in the middle or right over top crushing one of em. The bag deffinately made me conscious of mine.

The 18 straps are comfortable and i don't have an issue single strapping it to where im holding onto it with one hand.

With the MOAB there's a gear strap on the bottom you could use to roll up your windbreaker/rain jacket. The 18 has no such amenity. I am waiting on my shock cord locks to get here and i will be doing the mod that was posted in another thread to make my 18 have some external stowage capacity.

The comment about the 18 sitting too tall on your desk probably won't be an issue. I can't get mine to stand but it might be the way i have it packed.

If you're stuck on 5.11 between the 2 I'd pick covert. The MOAB was the bag I hated to love because i wanted to carry it daily but couldn't get pass the man boob issue with the strap. Maybe if i slim down it will be workable.....

@Jailer Shoutout from a fellow CO.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

#18 JFire, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Jailer likes this.
  19. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the detail. It helps me better understand how sling bags ride. And, being a tall guy (not skinny), a short strap would probably ride high. I appreciate it. The Hazard 4 Sidewinder/Switchback looks to have thicker straps, but I'm not sure I like the boxiness, and loss of organization. I wonder if the Rush 12 would be the right size, but the MOLLE might raise eyebrows.

I amaze myself at how much online research I can do on something as relatively simple as work EDC. But, I typically live with the results of the decision for a long time. Any new ideas are welcome. Again, I'm looking at using my Cabella's gift cards. So, Cabella's has to carry it.

Oh, I tried my Fieldline/Mossy Oak get home bag on and was surprised at how low the waist belt was. I had read that the Rush 72's waist belt rode high enough that it could not be considered load bearing. My knock off fits great. Nice back, but mossy oak won't cut it, and it's way too big for my needs. This little mental exercise makes me also wonder if a new EDC backpack would also make for a summer season get home bag, and the larger pack could be used as a bug out alternative to stay at home, or for overnight backpacking with the family.
    Oh, the possibilities...

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just looked at the Cabelas site and it seems that not all stores carry the same things?
    I would suggest a Camelbak HAWG for you from the stuff it looks like you can order online.

This is just a great bag and better made than the 5.11 and much better proportioned for you and your stuff than the Moab I think and a better all around bag than the Covert or Vertx to me too.
    No CCW provisions at all but a great bag and mine in Sand color is not all too tactical looking either.

Highly recommended!

Also worth mentioning that 5.11 seems to be having one of the 25% off sales now on many sites and if they also do on the Cabelas site I would look hard at the Rush 12 and be done with it.
    For some odd reason the Rush do not cater to CCW at all but this would still be a better carrying pack for you than a Moab I think.