1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dumb watch questions: dimensions and bezel diameter

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Valerian, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Ok, I have some dumb newbie questions about watches. When looking at watch specs, they often list dimensions and sometimes "bezel diameter" is mentioned. Either way, this often seems to be in the 42-43 mm region.

So, how is this usually measured? I guess it's the diameter of the watch body and not the glass part, but in what direction? Measured from 9 to 3, my Citizen is 37 mm wide (not including the adjustment button), but from 12 to 6 it's about 43 mm long.

So if a watch specs say the size is, e.g. 43/16 mm, is that more likely to be the width or the length? I take it the latter number might be the thickness of the body, right? (But 16 mm thick would be huge! Can that be right?)

2. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

The Bezel is the circular part around the crystal (the glass). It doesn't include the crown (the part that sticks out for you to set the time). Usually a dimension such as 43/16 means the circle around the glass is 43 mm and the thickness of the watch is 16 mm. It's pretty standard dimensions for many mechanical dive watches today with crazy depth ratings. Quartz watches are usually thinner. Most sports watches today exceed 10-12mm.

The lug to lug distance is taken between the tips housing the spring bars (12-6 direction).

3. Valerian

Thanks! Ok, so 43/16 mm is a huge watch then, at least for me.

4. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

You'd be surprised about how well some big watches wear, and it depends on the size of your wrist.

Most my watches are around 42mm, but I also have a 47mm and my wrist is 6.5" around. I find that the lug-to-lug measurement matters more for small wristed folks like myself, though that can be harder to find on most watch websites.

5. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

The width is the case diameter or the diameter of the external bezel if it has one. This number excludes the crown and any pushers or other controls on the sides of the case. In some watches these can be a significant addition to the stated size.

The stated 16mm is the maximum thickness of the case and crystal. For me 16mm is very thick. A few mm does not seem like much, but you might be surprised at how often your thicker watch is banged into something.

Of course it is purely personal preference as to how big and heavy a watch you are comfortable with.

Mark

6. Valerian

Thanks, everyone. Hmm, never measured my wrists before... 17 cm, or 6.7 inches.

This is what I was mostly worried about. My current Citizen Ecodrive is 37 mm diameter, like I said, and only 9.5 mm thick. It's also fairly rounded, no sharp edges on the bezel or anything. Even so, it still manages to snag at things very often. Especially the shoulder strap of my backpack when I'm putting it on. It also snags at my sleeve, when I wear a long-sleeved shirt, gets banged on things sometimes etc. My work does not involve doing things where snags would be hazardous, but they are still an annoyance. I don't think I'd like a larger watch.