1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Duffel bag recommendation

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Longbob, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a duffle bag that I can use a checked bag while traveling. Doesn't have to be tactical looking but I am leaning that way because of how well tactical bags are made.

It's going to be used as a checked bag from time to time so it's going to get tossed around pretty good.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to have wheels but must be able to carry a week's worth of clothing and sometimes boots, hard hat.

I am currently looking at the 5.11 Rush LBD Lima and not sure if is should get one on wheels and a larger size.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Mystery ranch mission duffel (44l, 55l or 90l)

3. ninjastyle

ninjastyle Empty Pockets

Filson small or medium duffel would fit the bill. I’ve had mine for more than a decade and it’s still going strong. You pay a premium for the quality, though.

4. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

North Face Base Camp
    Patagonia Black Hole

5. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

So I like the way this is built and looks online. Just wondering if 90L is too big. But it will definitely fit my hard hat and boots when needed for work travel

6. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Really like the medium but man is it expensive. I guess it will last a long time though! You've had good luck with yours it seems.

Captdave13 likes this.
  7. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Check out tombihn.com either the Yeoman Duffel (there are 4 sizes up to 70 L) or Road Buddy (36 or 60 L)

8. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

I was looking at the Yeoman this morning. My daily carry backpack is a Synapse 25 so I know Tom bihn quality.

9. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

And I actually am kinda liking the idea of just a big duffel bag like the Yeoman with no extra fancy pockets. I use packing cubes alot so it should be easy to organize

10. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

The 90L is gonna be a BIGGGG boy, not sure what you’re hauling? The 55l might be the three bears perfect for you, just right...

Also if you’re LE/MIL/fire, you get a discount with mystery ranch or just find it on sale through a 3rd party vendor for cheaper

Longbob likes this.
  11. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

I’ve been using the medium Filson for years and it’s hard to beat. Durable good looking and worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edcMe likes this.
  12. Cyo

Cyo Empty Pockets

BAD--best american duffel. They are great and are tanks.

cbbr likes this.
  13. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

either of those are great bags been using a Northface rolling thunder for years of travel, I work construction jobs all over the country, the airlines and trades have not killed it yet.

I would like to complicate things a little bit and toss this in the pile

A Red Oxx PR4 or railroad grip would be a great option

14. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Great to hear! Do you carry your hard hat with you? I was looking at the North face medium which is about 70L. Wondering if that was enough room for some clothing and hard hat and boots.

15. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

yeah I carry a lot of gear with me. When I go out its normally on 2-10 month hitch sometimes longer. So yeah I carry a lot of gear and personal stuff. Everything from my hard hat and mud boots, to my Xbox.

I think you will be ok so long as your not trying to pack in winter gear, FR's and regular clothes and not packing your life for months away from the house. When traveling for work, I run 2 checked bags,and a Goruck GR2 as a carry on,. The 30" North face roller and a medium sized older cabels duffel that refuses to die, and when it does I will likely replace it with a Red Oxx, or Frost River, offering as that bag is what I use for casual travel when I dont need all that extra stuff and space

If your looking for a more classic look like the filson stuff which is good too, You could look into the Duluth pack or Frost River offerings as well. I have laid hands on both and both are very very well made options and I really like the heavy oiled canvas that frost river uses.

16. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I switched to a duffel with cubes several years ago. The cubes add structure and organization to the bag.

17. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I use an Arcteryx Covrt Case C/O. It's carry on size in case I don't want to check a bag and I can cram 2 weeks of clothes into it easily. Very well made. Hands down the best bag I've ever used.

https://arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/covert-case-c-o

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paddling_Man likes this.
  18. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

When I travel with my gear it's only for a week at a time. Hard part is, sometimes I need tools, boots and hard hat sometimes I don't. So don't want a monster 90L or more bag when I don't have that stuff packed because I'll never pack enough clothing to fill it lol

I have a Synapse 25 as my pack and that does great with all my electrics and personal items I carry on. If I don't need any tools or things like that I'll just normally pack a carry on.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been carrying a Maxpedition Doppleduffel or Fliegelduffel?
    since finding them cheap on closeout at LA Police Gear a few years ago and they have been about perfect for this type of use as long as they are huge enough for your stuff.

Like you I am often adjusting my loadout depending on the job and the best features of these bags is how bomb proof they have been wether carrying clothes and food or just tools and boots,I never fear the luggage carousel will kill them.
    A lot of time I check them because I can not carry on what is inside or I have to decide at the gate to check and these bags are just tough.

They also have more organization than typical duffels and are sort of like a Bihn A45 on Steroids that way.

I also love that they can be carried from the end,sides,shoulder strap AND as a BackPack and more than a few times I end up having to hump them further than comfortable and being able to BackPack carry them is a lifesaver while I just carry the S25.

https://www.maxpedition.com/collections/travel/products/doppelduffel-adventure-bag?variant=27896022289

20. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

So due to me taking my time and not buying something in time to ship to my house before the trip I went with the North Face Base Camp since I could buy it in stores pretty easy.

I bought the large instead of the medium since the medium looked too small for what I needed.

I will update with how it goes for next week's trip.

Oh yeah, I paid under $100 for the bag with holiday sales, coupons and a $25 gift card. So I'm happy with the price.