1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

duct tape carry options

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by lamepro, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lamepro

lamepro Loaded Pockets

recently i have been carrying duct tape in my wallet. i wrapped some around a old library card. i used some today but it seems to be loosing its stickyness. so i was wondering if there are any other ways to carry duct tape in a wallet?

2. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I have put it on wax paper before and it lasts OK. Cant remember how long. Haven't carried in my wallet for some time now. I just keep a roll in my BOB. :luck:

3. lamepro

lamepro Loaded Pockets

no one else has any ways to carry duct tape so it wont loose its stickyness??

4. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Ever try rolling it around a bic pen? It wont work for great amounts, but a repairs worth.

5. lamepro

lamepro Loaded Pockets

i like it in my wallet so i dont have to remember to grab a pen or somthing else. but thx for the reply

6. Mr. kydex

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

+1 for the wax/parchment paper way.

7. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

The ambient heat from you will affect the duct tape. I think your only option, if you want to keep it in your wallet, is to just replace every so often. Maybe 6 months?

8. VVR41TH

VVR41TH Empty Pockets

Another option is to carry it either outside of your wallet, in a front or cargo pocket, or move your wallet to one of those same spots. The heat shouldn't be so much of a problem, then.

9. OhCanada

OhCanada Loaded Pockets

I love the idea of using an plastic ID card! Plastic holds up much better than cardboard and the credit card companies are always sending me junk mail plastic cards and I've collected quite a few (to use in decoy wallets).

Slip such a duct tape covered card into a small zip-lock bag and put it in a coat or leg cargo pocket.

10. Blue_cat_333

Blue_cat_333 Loaded Pockets

I hear everyone talking about using cardboard, old library cards, decoy credit cards but I have a better suggestion. With the holidays right around the corner I'll be receiving a ton of gift cards. When I deplete the funds on the gift cards I ask the store clerk if I can have the card back. (They usually end up in the trash anyway.) Then I use the depleted gift card to wrap my duct tape around and carry in my BOB.

As far as the "sticky-ness" issue, the only thing I can think of is body heat. I would guess that the heat generated in your wallet is causing the adhesive to break down. I would have to echo the suggestions of moving it to a front pocket or into your BOB.

11. lamepro

lamepro Loaded Pockets

i dont have a bail out bag >.< and my pockets already have enough stuff in them.

12. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

If you don't mind stuff on your belt, add a cell phone/camera case on to your belt. Put the plastic card wrapped in duct tape there. More excuses to buy more stuff for the above case.

13. lamepro

lamepro Loaded Pockets

i think i might just change out the tape every few months. also im using a different kind of duct tape. gorilla tape.

14. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Just remember that fame and popularity don't imply quality, so if you want longevity through heat extremes, you might want to change your tape to something else.  Consider the following from the findtape site:

Duct tape sucks for ducts!

What i use

15. sandmountainslim

sandmountainslim Empty Pockets

I have had the same duct tape in my wallet for over two years (folded up on itself about the size of a credit card) and it has yet to lose its stickiness, I had to use some of it the other day at church to remove some dog hair from my shirt. Maybe it is the brand you are using?
    Wp

16. ten-thirteen

ten-thirteen Empty Pockets

I just did this the other day! I like to have double functions for as many items as possible. Well, great minds and all....

17. sculptormills

sculptormills Empty Pockets

The main reason the duct tape is breaking down is that the glue contains a mild acid. The cheaper the tape, the more acid it contains and the shorter the lifespan of the tape. You have all probably seen cheap masking tape after it ages and falls off. Regular masking tape starts breaking down within hours of the glue being exposed to oxygen. The blue painters tape is higher quality and does not start breaking down for about a week or two after it is applied so it cost more money. In my business we use archival tape that last for 100 years or more and it cost $30 for a small roll. Duct tape is the same- cheap tape doesn't last very long, expensive tape last longer, but still not indefinitely as there is no archival duct tape that I know of. Any tape labeled as "industrial" should be higher quality. I don't know how archival Gorilla tape is.

18. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

19. raven397

raven397 Empty Pockets

I carry a plastic bandaid box in my daypack, with bandaids, gauze, antibio ointment, and water purification tabs. about 30 feet of duct tape is wrapped around it. I find it still sticks well after about 1.5 years. :) :)

20. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Here is another way to carry it. Get a roll of duck tape and pull out the center cardboard. Put it in a vise, flatten it, and leave it overnight. In the morning you have a full flat roll of tape you can throw in your bag. It takes up very little space that way.

robert