1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DSLR "Tactical" Camera Bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by LaVillaStrangiato11, Dec 16, 2016.

1. LaVillaStrangiato11

LaVillaStrangiato11 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys and gals -

Does anyone have any insight on really good DSLR camera bags? I recently bought a camera to get more into photography (still waiting for it to get here, but I love my bags so much that I want to get a head start!)

Anyways...I saw that there is a new Hazard 4 bag out for DSLR cameras called the "Freelance." No reviews on their website though and they are not sold on Amazon, as of yet. Anyone have one of these? They look good and I have a Hazard 4 Watson which I love. I read reviews on the "Photo Recon" and they got great ratings as well, although it seems kinda big and long to trek outside.

I just don't want something too big when I go on hikes for outdoor shots.

Side Note: Anyone use cool smaller bags/pouches/attachments for their camera supplies like lens, filters, etc?
    Would love to hear!

Thanks a bunch!

- Griffin

EDIT: Just saw that someone on Hazard4.com asked when the bag [Freelance] was going to be available and there was a response that said it was still in the works and probably wouldn't be available until early fall...even though it has a link to add it to the cart. hmmmmmm

Last edited by LaVillaStrangiato11, Dec 16, 2016
  2. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I've kind of given up on dedicated camera bags stuff. I have a LowePro bag that has been to a few countries and on several "adventures" and held up pretty well. But most of the dedicated camera stuff really isn't that well made and overpriced for my tastes. Can't speak for that particular Hazard 4, but when I tried one of their Kato bags a couple of years back, I can't say I was blown away by the quality - seemed pretty standard fare to me.

These days I'm using padded inserts into bags I like. Tenba makes reasonable quality and the prices are fine; their messenger bag insert fits perfectly in the bottom of my Goruck GR1' and (this is kind of cool) sideways in my Bullet 10. Also worked great in my 15L shoulder bag. Some inserts can stand alone - the LowePro Photorunner I was referring to can serve as an insert, the be taken out and worn as a fanny pack (goofy, but around front works REALLY well in crowds and keeps things safe) or thrown over a shoulder.

The camera bag game is kind of endless really, so finding a modular/adaptable approach can free up the possibilities. Adding things like padded bags for lenses lets you use pouches and pockets not designed for camera gear and still haul your gear safely. I've come to appreciate bags that are versatile, and don't scream "camera", particularly in places where "camera" can get you a knock on the head.

If you want to stay with dedicated camera stuff, Lowe Pro has a series of bags with outer Molle kind of webbing. I find the backpacks fairly heavy, but the shoulder bags are decent, and could work well as a combo insert/stand alone.

3. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Forgot to add - there is a review of camera gear used by pro photographers on Carryology that I found pretty helpful. Turned me onto some by practical pieces like the Shield etc.

4. LaVillaStrangiato11

I've "trolled" the forum here for many things and decided to search for camera bags in hopes that someone had a thread. Many people mentioned the LowePro so I guess I'll have to look into it. I like the fact that with sling packs I can rotate it to my chest and have the camera department right in front of me (and not facing down to the ground like the Photo Recon). So that was the thinking behind the Freelance.

My Hazard 4 has held up excellent. Even got to bring it to a weeklong outing at Glacier National Park (Still have to put up pictures with my bag in the foregrounds of some beautiful scenery).

I'll definitely take your advice and also go on Carryology to do more research before I buy. The camera isn't supposed to come till 12/20/16 anyways so I have time - have to save some more $$$ too I supposed ;)

Thanks for the input!

5. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

You can always look into padded dividers or cases for your camera gear and stick with a bag you like. There are a handful of (admittedly amateur) camera equipment racks that people DIY to fit into their bags on youtube/pinterest/insert-favorite-site-here. Might be an option if you've got a bag you like but it lacks the internal organization for camera equipment, might end up being cheaper too.

6. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Padded camera inserts are the way to go. I've been very happy with my Crumpler Haven.

7. Miamic70

Miamic70 Loaded Pockets

LowePro ProTactical series
    Echo Niner

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most of my dedicated camera packs are ThinkTank Photo,they just seem to be more well thought out in general and have been as rugged for me as any of the bags we usually talk about here.

I really like the ShapeShifter for one and it is a common one for me to carry that does not look like a camera bag at all but it also holds a ton and carries it well but again every one of their bags are great though not tactical really unless Photo Tactical is a group and they are certainly that!
    I have one of the belt systems with dedicated pouches and it is great,I have several of the Urban Disguise series and Retrospective series bags too and love them all.

I also LOVE the Tom Bihn Synapse for this with inserts as already mentioned to hold the gear better.
    Any bag you already have can be turned into a decent setup with the right insert and accessories.

There is also Gura Gear who makes maybe the best BackPacks for photo stuff but the pricing is just insane unless you think about the pricing of what they re trying to protect?
    I have also found them used at decent prices like I try to find everything else specialized that I buy.

Tenba,Lowe and Crumpler are also great brand sources for this stuff.

The 2 main forum for Photo gear are

fredmiranda
    and
    photo on the net
    Lots of pertinent reading there about all things photo.

I the end these choices are just like everything else that we EDC,whatever speaks to you will seem the best for you.

9. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Honestly, the best camera bag setup I've used for my micro 4/3 setup is hands down my Goruck 15L shoulder bag with an added insert. With the exception of the top, the entire bag is padded, very inconspicuous, and it's built like a friggin tank. Access is easy since there's no flap to negotiate, and there's decent inner pockets to hold all the small crap, even chargers. Bonus; outstanding laptop compartment and a small amount of molle webbing on the ends where I tend to put a water bottle holder.

The shoulder bag part is a mixed blessing - walking around town, changing lenses frequently and using a couple of bodies, it's the best, and why classic camera bags are shoulder/messengers. Hiking, single strap bags just don't carry as well as backpacks in my book. It really helps to use the GR padded shoulder strap for this application since you get a robust strap that distributes the weight well. So I move my insert and cameras between this bag and a backpack depending on what I'm doing.

10. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

The Vanquest Javelin 3.0 has the capability to be a DSLR bag with the addition of their interior dividers. I don't believe it is the most padded but it is a sling and would make equipment easily accessible without removing the pack.

Water-Rat likes this.
  11. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Have a look at Inside Line Equipments Prime backpack, they have a MOLLE version.

12. LaVillaStrangiato11

I've thought about that since I do like my current bag for hiking. I'll have to look into the inserts, but am also open to a new bag (I mean...who doesn't love getting new bags) for cam equipment that also has the other organizational assets to put small hiking gear in. That way I don't have to have two packs on a hike.

I read all of your guys' suggestions and I am going to look into every one. haha.

Yeah. I'm still leaning towards a sling. Wish there was a store here that sells these kinds of packs so I can try them out. hmmmmm

Thanks again guys!

13. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a Javelin 3.0 on the Black Friday sale to use as a work bag/photo bag. It is not the most padded bag, but it is easy to get to your gear due to the way it's organized and because of the side access. The inside is covered in hook and loop so you can set it up with padded dividers, and everything is orange inside, so no more losing little stuff in the bottom of the bag.

14. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

Javran Maui Minimalist bag... my favorite photobag ever!

[​IMG]

kye4some likes this.
  15. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

My lug-around camera isn't DSLR-size so i can get away with a nice small bag like my good ol Maxpedition jumbo! I've made a padded easy-remove insert for the main compartment that sits on top of my FAK and a gorillapod. It holds my camera, a small ETTL flash, a set of manual flash remotes and two spare batteries for the camera. The front pouch of my bag holds a bunch of tools, an ETTL extension cord, some filters and some memory cards and adapters. The bottle pouch either holds a water-bottle or a biggem flash. Top, rear and side pouches hold various little bits n bobs and my (sun) glasses.

Water-Rat likes this.
  16. Jammin82

Jammin82 Loaded Pockets

Sorry I'm late to the party here... Headed for South Africa with Canon 7D Mk II and 100-400 (and a walk-around wide angle, probly my Sigma 18-35 1.8), and am prepared to take my Hazard 4 Photo Recon (which I LOVE), but I'm thinking about their Freelance as well... Just dont know if it will handle the 100-400.

WRT the Photo Recon, other than a few gripes about what's available to get into ehen the bag is swung around to the front, I love it. Holds that 7DII with either 50-150 or the 100-400 attached (hoods reversed), another lens or two, external flash, GoPro Connect 5 and accessories, and my go-to Black Rapid strap (and admittedly, a bunch of other crap like batteries, multitool, and probably a kitchen sink).

After buying it, I doubt I'd go with anything other than a sling again. When swung to the front, the bag is a great shooting rest, which was an unexpected bonus. I have attached an H4 Hatch, MaxP padded Pouch, and the H4 flup (for hydration) as well. Gets reasonably heavy with full loadout, but it's nigh on indestructible (unlike the rest of the "photo" bags I've owned, and the H4 straps are the best in the business, IMHO.

Given carry-on requirements for the S African trip, I do want to look into the Freelance... Anyone know if it will handle the 100-400 or a 70-200 sized lens n body?

JM

17. LaVillaStrangiato11

I was definitely curious about the H4 Freelance as well. I have no problem with my H4 Watson that I use on day hikes and edc. The strap is unbelievable comfortable. Would love some pics of your camera load out. If you do get the Freelance, please reply here as well so we can all see? haha

Thanks for responding!

18. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

19. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

F-StopGear & MindshiftGear: bags designed by outdoor professional adventure photographers, for outdoor adventure photographers. I have the f-stop Loka (replaced by the Anju) and can attest to the high quality. One of the best camera bag makers for for outdoor pursuits. Mindshiftgear which is a sister company to the awesome the ThinkTank company also makes great outdoor photo bags.

http://fstopgear.com
    http://www.mindshiftgear.com

ThinkTank Photo: Designed by professional photographers for professional photographers/serious enthusiasts (but styled for urban environments). I have a collection of Thinktank bags. These are the industry standards and absolutely rock solid.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com

Vanquest: A tactical/EDC bag company that's trying to design a bag for photographers and doing a pretty good job at it. I have an earlier version of the Trident and it's an excellent tactical style DSLR camera bag. Check out the video on the new 2017 Vanquest Trident 31 (yet to be released):

Another excellent option are camera insert bags. These convert any of your favorite backpacks into a camera bag. I use these when I want to carry my DSLR (Nikon D810) and lenses in my TAD Gear Litespeed or Osprey Skarab 31:

Tenba BYOB Camera Insert
    http://www.tenba.com/products/tools-byob-9-camera-insert.aspx

Timbuk2 Snoop Camera Bag Inserts
    http://www.timbuk2.com/search?q=snoop%20camera%20bag%20insert

Apecase Cubeze
    https://apecase.com/cubeze/

20. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets