1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DSLR/iPad/EDC Bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Sloman, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

So what does anyone here use or recommend for an EDC bag to hold the following?

-Canon SL1 with lens (18-55mm) (want to be able to grab and shoot)
    -Smaller lens (50mm)
    -Flash
    -Charger
    -iPad with charging cable
    -few EDC trinkets like a flashlight, leatherman and pen

Any help would be appreciated. I've done the YouTube, Google, etc things and still have yet to find a bag that does not look boxy and scream "camera!".

Thanks everyone!

vinniec5 likes this.
  2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Amazon do a cheap laptop bag with a compartment specifically for dslr cameras. Haven't got or seen one in the flesh but saw one on their site and it looked ok, quite anonymous really.

3. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Hazard4 Kato might work for ya.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

4. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

Vanquest products come with the dividers that make this a reality in almost all of their bags.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

5. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

EMDOM charge satchel or Echoniner Low profile covert bag

6. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

thank you! did the Amazon searching last night. Ever search for something so much you actually get sick of looking at a computer??

nyckmc likes this.
  7. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Quite a lot - you start looking on the Internet and as it never closes you never get a shop assistant pushing you through the door! It was an amazonbasics dslr and laptop bag as goes - just been on and they're still trying to get me to buy one!

nyckmc likes this.
  8. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Vanquest Trident 20. It will hold all your above mentioned essentials and still have room for a few more things without being overly large.

Like a poster above mentioned it has dividers that allow you to customize your interior organization to a degree. It is also padded to protect your equipment.

If the front compartment looks a bit odd, that is a function of what I have in it rather than how it was made.

[​IMG]

AlgoOPC likes this.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the offerings by ThinkTankPhoto.

10. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Maxpedition Versipack carrying a Nikon D50 with 17-125, 50mm and 70-200 in the water bottle pocket. I added foam to the bottom of the main pocket as well as the bottle pocket to protect the contents. I have the charger and some lens wipes, etc. in a small pocket and some other goodies stashed in the other pockets. I can't fit my Android-based tablet in the CCW pocket and get it zipped shut, but I'm not sure of the dimensions of the iPad. My tablet doesn't usually travel in that pack, however.

[​IMG]

11. njpreps

njpreps Loaded Pockets

Maxped Colossus holding my 70D with attached lens and 50mm lens. Plus charger, two batteries, kindle, etc. With space leftover

[​IMG]

12. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

I put a padded insert in my S.O. Tech MGB to protect the camera inside. Works great.

13. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I'll second the Vanquest Trident. I think it would work out very well for your listed gear.

14. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The Kato is great!, low pofile, right on your side, and perfect for casual and formal occasions. This is not for hardcore outdoor photography though if you plan hiking and carrying all out photography equipment in it as it is essentially a mini messenger or shoulder bag for CCW and tablet carry. The Vanquest Trident will step in for that rough and tumble.

Sloman likes this.
  15. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

This Tamrac photo bag doesn't look like your typical one. Great padding at the back that can rival any EDC messenger plus the zipped pocket at the back and pass thru luggage sleeve. Most of all its cheap, just below $50!
    [​IMG]

Sloman likes this.
  16. chefemzman

chefemzman Loaded Pockets

Check out the Vanquest Skitch-15 Messenger bag. I use the bag along with the drop-in organizer and I'm able to fit my Sony A7 with 16-50 mm lens attached with adapter, Sony A6000 with pancake lens, 55-210 mm lens, 28 mm wide-angle, fish-eye lens for A6000, gorillapod, 5 extra batteries, pens, flashlights and in the back zippered area my 13" MacBook Pro, charging wires/accessories AND my Glock 19 with 3 extra mags in the front pass-through zippered pockets. It can get a little heavy, but with the support cross strap makes thing a little more comfortable. Also, the bag is able to expand to 30 liters if necessary. Check it out! If you want something like a backpack, take a look at the Vanquest Trident-20. Good luck!

Pettydroid likes this.
  17. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

thanks all!

18. nylaw

nylaw Loaded Pockets

How do you like your Skitch 15? I did a brief writeup on mine in Wolf Gray. So far I bought MSM loop panels to make up for lack of organization and a MSM bottle corset for lack of a bottle holder. I think the flap zipper could be higher so you can look down into the opening instead of pulling the compartment into view. I am also going to get the cobra strap once it's out. I haven't actually carried it yet, still has the tags on it. I bought it to replace my Timbuk2. I very much like the rubberized bottom on the Timbuk2 also and it comes with built in organization, water bottle pocket etc etc. The bag is very well made and I am going to keep it but it isn't perfect but which bag is?

19. chefemzman

chefemzman Loaded Pockets

I like it more than my first gen Envoy that I recently sold to a friend. The bag seems more urban friendly and more comfortable to wear. I too added the MSM bottle corset, on the opposite side I have attached is the 4x6 FATpack which I carry some booboo stuff, Advil and asthma inhaler. I used to have a Timbuk2 and the main issue I had with it was when it rained, my stuff would get wet. I was walking around in a downpour the other day and the outside of my Skitch 15 was soaked, but everything inside was still dry. I'm looking forward to using the bag when I travel overseas. I am a huge Vanquest fan, owning a number of their bags and accessories. I think the Skitch is probably going to be my go to bag for now.

20. nylaw

nylaw Loaded Pockets

Using it in the rain never occurred to me but that would suck. Did the rain come through the material or the zips? I wonder if there is way to rubberize the bottom. I liked the fact I could put it down anywhere and not worry about it. What was it about the Envoy you didn't care for. I was thinking the first gen might have suited me more but I do really like the open top on the Skitch. It seems they are going to bring back elements of the first gen Envoy they removed. Would it really be that much difference vs the 1st gen at that point? If I didn't already have 5 backpacks I rarely use, I would to get an Ibex 30. They did a great job on that one.