1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dryer lint

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by peak_oil, Apr 14, 2014.

1. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I own some of that too!! ;) I actually posted pics of me using it already to hold my Sheep Shears closed the day I got them.

Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was waiting for JSB's to get it so I could :) I haven't a pressing need for it, but I like it so I do, in effect, need it ;)

Cobra 6 Actual and ramjet like this.
  3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

it is nice to have in the pocket as it's very compact, but one thing I am not a fan of with it, is that it's three strands with no outer shell, so they can unravel. I wish they had coated the three together with something. But, it is what it is and it works none the less! ;)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I don't use dryer lint myself but cotton balls are also very good for thus with or without vase line or waterless hand cleaner. Actually waterless hand cleaner on its own is brilliant too

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe a cut in it, to pass the loose bit through, like a spool if thread has, would help. It seems a tough enough material that it wouldn't hurt it.

6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

It holds together on the spool well, it's when you cut it to use it that the ends start to separate.

7. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

A shout-out to the "unintentional" lint we carry (assuming natural fabric pants/shorts/jeans). Turn the pockets inside-out to harvest the inevitable bits of accumulated lint. Small quantity, but maybe enough to catch sparks from ferro rod, then produce small flame ---> ignite small bits of paper.

One of the few downsides of ferro rods IMO — picky about tinder. If not reasonably fuffy/fuzzy/fine, hard to convert spark to flame. Charcloth will accept spark, produce ember that will convert to flame in the right tinder nest.

Create a small pile of cotton/linen dust by placing paper-dollar on pants over tensed upper-thigh, scraping with knife blade; empty onto a catchment surface periodically. Just now, using LM Squirt S4 blade, collected dime-size pile in 10-15 minutes. Paper bills are 75% cotton/25% linen (according to US Bureau of Engraving and Printing). Will catch spark from ferro rod.

Similarly, create tinder-dust pile by scraping cotton pants (like Levis) that are stretched tight over top of tensed upper-thigh.

vegassprky and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. W-D

W-D Loaded Pockets

I have a small fire kit that fits into a thin pill capsule. A few waterproof matches, a section of a Capri sun straw about an inch filled with Vaseline , and a standard size straw stuffed full of dryer lint, sealed the ends of the straws closed with a lighter and packed it all in, not bad for a small space, bout 1.5"x.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAKplumber and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

I have multiple "fire-starting" options around me all the time. Ya know, one is none approach. But my dedicated EDC "fire n' light" pack is a maxped micro organizer with aa, aaa batteries, a Light my fire rod/striker, old beeswax lipbalm, dryer lint Bic lighter and a handwarmer. Ya never know. It has seemed to be just the cats meow.

snaplok and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Great point, Xbanker. And, hey, guys, don't forget that small but useful supply of belly button lint ... it all adds up.

A couple of other 'fire assist' things I've used are hand sanitizer (usually about ~30% alcohol) and waxed dental floss ... That stuff will definitely burn!

Finally, I should mention two of Nature's ol' standbys: pine resin and bark from a paper birch.

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

I OD on fire starters, but dryer lint is my favorite and at no cost. I've gone into laundries and gotten garbage bags full of the stuff for troop scout trips. My EDC however covers more ways as a save my :censored: go to. Because, hey you never know...

EDC Fire kit(spread out):

• Light My Fire Mini Firesteel- keyring
    • Jute twine(braided)- keyring
    • Light My Fire Scout Firesteel- Bag
    • Vasiline coated cotton balls- EZY Doze Ziploc bagged and sealed with gorilla tape, in bag
    • Dryer Lint- EZY Doze Ziploc bagged and sealed with gorilla tape, in bag
    • Burt's Bee lip balm- bag
    • "Ranger bands"(cut up bike inner tube)- 3" piece on belt, couple in bag( really great strong rubber bands for holding and noise reduction. And yes, if I had to survive and nothing else will work, I will have to go anti green.)
    • Colibri Jet 2 lighter- in pocket(I smoke :eek:)
    • SAK Spartan- in pocket( I toss this in there because a knife will make things to make fire and if I had to leave everything behind and take one thing, it would be a knife. It's a useful and strangely impressive skill that amazes me that it amazes others when they see me prove that I can rub 2 sticks together. lol)
    Semi EDC:
    Wilderness Solutions FireStar II Fire Piston Fire( for hiking and backpacking, and any other trip by land, sea, or air. If it was smaller I'd carry it daily, but one stays in the car emergency kit)

The trickiest ways to start a fire is in the rain and on snow especially if you don't have dry tinder. I've resorted in torrential rain to stuffing my jacket with twigs and leaves and strapping larger pieces of wood to my pack to dry it out some, cutting of the outside enough to get the dry inside to catch. Takes a lot of practice, patience, and prayer to get a fire going in heavy rain and winds. The first time I did that with my girlfriend, she asked me to marry her. Lol

12. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Don't forget belly button lint too? :rofl: Sorry just couldn't let this one not be said. :rolleyes_revamped:

Cobra 6 Actual and xbanker like this.
  13. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Um-m ... never mind.

14. socaldavel

socaldavel Empty Pockets

Can you get it at The Wal-Mart? :bounce:

Actually my preferred tinder is still a vaseline soaked cotton ball stuffed inside a small (approx 2") piece of plastic drinking straw with the ends heat sealed to make it waterproof. These store great in altoids tins (of any size) or tuck into a ranger band wrapped around my Mora knife sheath. Always reliable... just fluff up and they they take a spark perfectly.

15. Tony D.

Tony D. Loaded Pockets

being a southern boy I am hip on the pine resin.... it burns great... find some lighter knot and you have a fire instantly...lighter knot will make anything burn and is usually plentiful in the piny woods. It is usually made from a pine tree that has been struck by lightning and all the pin resin settles to the bottom and turns to a turpentine substance in the wood it is hard and burns hot.