1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dryer lint

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by peak_oil, Apr 14, 2014.

1. peak_oil

peak_oil Loaded Pockets

I've been throwing the dryer lint on a shelf above my laundry machines for the last year. Today I took it all down by handfuls and packed it in two Mason jars for convenient storage. The reason for this odd behavior is because I was trying to shred paper with a pocket knife and then light it with a Swedish firesteel. Guess what? It didn't work.

So I grabbed some dryer lint, packed it in the paper, and gave it one strike. Success. It went up with a low flame immediately if not sooner. It went up with no odor afaik but my nose doesn't work so well.

Once I realized how potentially effective dryer lint can be, I scrounged all I could scrounge and packed it in the mason jars. If I'm lucky enough to scrape a couple of film containers or diabetic test strip containers together I'll have another EDC item.

snaplok, snowkiwi, mole and 6 others like this.
  2. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I Have dryer lint in all of my fire kits! It works crazy good.

ramjet, SAKplumber and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

#0000 Extra Fine Steel Wool is a lot of fun to light up with a firesteel. ;)

ATB,
    Sam

4. Tipper_Tom

Tipper_Tom Loaded Pockets

I hit up my local photography shop when I need more film pots as they have them by the bagful and are more than willing to let you have them free.

In order my tinder kit goes.
    Dryer lint
    Cotton wool balls
    Burner balls
    Pencil sharpenings

I usually flow that up with ice lolly sticks, dry twigs (scavenged at the time I don't carry firewood)

Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Riding the night horse since 2002

She's not leaking oil, she's sweating power.

xbanker, Cobra 6 Actual and docer like this.
  5. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

lol @ She's not leaking oil, she's sweating power.

6. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Dryer lint is awesome. Birch bark and Pine fatwood shavings are better as they are water proof.

xbanker and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

And, you can work in a little vasoline with your dryer lint and have top of the line firestarter!

Nighted, BubbaFett, xbanker and 3 others like this.
  8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

A little? Oh just soak that puppy.... "Now that's a fire!!!"

Working vaseline into dryer lint, cotton balls, etc. goes faster when the Vaseline is liquefied.

ATB,
    Sam

9. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks, Sam ... Maybe I should have written "if you just ... WOW, AWESOME!"

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

For situations where I want to take tinder along with me I have used dryer lint, cotton balls, and jute twine over the years. I recently switched to a product I found (you can DIY) called Fire Cord, which is Jute Twine boiled in Paraffin for 3 hours. It works great, is more easily stored without making a mess, is waterproof, and has several uses. I did make some videos of it as I was considering doing a review, but I am a terrible at writing reviews, so I will add the videos here instead. The cord I bought is made by GEARWARD and comes on a nice spool with 15' of cord for very little money.

[​IMG]

Great minimalist "Bushcraft" tinder. ;) That's 18" of Fire Cord wrapped around that sheath.
    [​IMG]

1" strip of Fire Cord shredded to tinder and lit with Flint Striker (first "miss" strike was my fault, I hit the Altoid can) (VIDEOS FIXED, NO WEBSITE NAME NOW)

2" match made by shredding the top 1/4" of the Fire Cord for easy striking. This is a great tool to have as you can use it like a match. (VIDEOS FIXED, NO WEBSITE NAME NOW)

Another interesting thing to add is that with a recent Mod to the Four Finger Fire Starter design from Ranger Rick and a Ranger Bic sleeve, I was able to setup a nice little fire starting kit that is very easy to carry along.

[​IMG]

The 8 strips of Fire Cord are stored within the DIY flint striker.
    [​IMG]

Video Disclaimer: While you hear sirens in the background, no animals or people were killed, nor were any forest fires started during the making of these videos. Apparently someone ran into a ground level transformer as I went inside after making these videos to find out I was without power.

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Apr 14, 2014
    S_Serpent, snowkiwi, Lou_G and 5 others like this.
  11. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Some pine-resin works great too [​IMG]

Tony D. and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  12. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

vasoline costs money; I soak mine in waste/used motor oil from my oil changes... cheap 10/30 filled with the carbon, gasoline blow by, and exhaust residues out of an old V8; Talk about BURN! :D

Its how I light the stove in the garage, and in the house too if all I have is frozen or wet kindling.

Never have EDCed it, but I'm intending to pack some in small ziplock sandwich bags for BOBs and outdoor kits. Should be leak proof, and should be able to just open the bag, set it top open/up, build the fire lay over it and drop a match into the top of the bag, burn the baggy and all. Need to try that soon...

xbanker, Cobra 6 Actual and DESTRO like this.
  13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Nothing is ever leakproof.... Prefer to stay away from liquid accelerants with the exception of alcohol if an alcohol stove is involved.

Pitch or vasoline skews more towards solids even if they get running in warm weather and you can reduce some of that tendency with binders.

Unless I was camping on a regular basic I expect a tub of Vasoline in a Costco quantities would last for a good lone time.

Motor oil in a home type situation is one thing. In a wilderness situation it would bother me more. There's going to be some ground leach before it gets ignited, and thats going to get brought back up to the surface during the next rainfall.

Not preaching... just personal preference. Tending the ferals tends to make me a bit hypersensitive to what gets left behind. Using vinegar and salt to kill weeds rather than pesticides. Turning over any containers that can hold rain water and go stagnant... which forces them to the water bowl that gets changed out daily.

If you don't want to spend money, there more than enough videos online on how to tap pine trees for pitch/resin.

ATB,
    Sam

14. AK Adventurer

Costing money was more tounge in cheek than serious... I just don't see any point to acquiring anything to use for something if I already have a free source of something that works the same, or better, that will otherwise get thrown away. :)

On the other points, I commend you for your actions for your peace of mind on things, that is as it should be! :cool:

I am far from green or an semblance there of... Oil came out of the ground, I have no qualms about it going back there, generally, especially in small amounts. The only thing I worry about and am Extremely careful of is antifreeze, since its so :censored: poisoning to Everything.

But the way I am intending it, I doubt it would matter, as I said, just open the baggy and light it as is, in the baggy... it should burn up bag and all before reaching the ground. I'll give it a try this weekend and see how the leakage is, if any.

Honestly, in hindsight to my previous post, I'll probably never do it to carry, its just a good concept to me, to know I could make it up and carry it like that if I ever thought I'd need it.. If I need emergency tinder anywhere in the state, I'm never very far from a birch tree or 20 that can be ''ringed''(although you never want to ''ring''' a birch pulling its bark off except in an emergency, it kills the tree, just take small bits from several trees) for enough waterproof tinder to re-ignite hades if it ever went out ;)

xbanker and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  15. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Sounds like many of us love harvesting dryer lint. For those who haven't tried, but will, don't forget that you want COTTON lint (and not synthetic).

16. AK Adventurer

Yup, although if your is at least a 50/50 or 60/40 ish mix in favor of the cotton, I wouldn't worry too much, it all burns, just takes cotton to take a spark... If ya got a good mix its OK. Or anyway, its never bothered for me, even using it straight without additives. :)

Cobra 6 Actual and xbanker like this.
  17. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Sonoran Tree Loaded Pockets

I keep a little stash of dryer lint in my belly button - just in case... :bounce:

mud80, ramjet, SAKplumber and 6 others like this.
  18. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

^^^^^^ I was waiting for that!

Nighted and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  19. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Sonoran Tree Loaded Pockets

I haven't tried the paraffin or used motor oil for the belly button lint, but it might stand up to occasional showering better... :eek:

20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Soon to be available in the Forum Store! Compact Survival Cord from Gearward

ramjet likes this.