1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

drop in LED for 6p?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by steviesterno, Jun 28, 2017.

1. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

It was a little bit on the expensive side, compared to some of my other P60 lights; but I really wanted to have a Surefire host, and this is the closest I've come to having a Surefire light.

The overall expense wasn't a one-shot thing, since I already had the Sportac drop-in, installed in a Solarforce L2P host; and I also pulled the A001 head and tail cap off of an L2N light, that I had already purchased a few years back.

So this is, essentially, my Frankenstein Surefire light.

If you have a special attachment to your 6P light, that has given you many years of service, in harsh environments, and you would like to keep it running, but as a more updated version of itself, then it would be worth the investment.

Surefire lights are known for their bullet proof dependability, which is why I would recommend using a high quality drop-in, to make it a more updated, more powerful light, and that's designed to handle the recoil, during use a a firearm-mounted light.

steviesterno likes this.
  2. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

what if I had it mounted to a rifle once using old scope clamps for a night 3 gun match, and now it sits in the drawer all the time? haha I love surefire products and have owned a few 6ps, but I got the chance to shoot a streamlight and surefire pistol light side by side. streamlight did everything the surefire did, and for half the cost. I've since shot them in the rain, not cleaned them, and run them hard and they work. I want a surefire weapons light and will get one when I find the right deal.

I'm starting to learn about and save for night vision, which will change things. may have to eventually turn some of these lights into IR...

3. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

ordered mine for $9 today for Prime Day. hope to see what improvement it brings shortly.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  4. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

$40 for a Malkoff is an excellent value, here is why, let's take a look at what you get for that coin:

* Fully potted
    * Fully heat-sinked

This eliminates damage from shock and damage from heat. If you want a light that you can completely depend on, in a mission critical environment, Malkoff is what you want. Such as during cave exploration or some other life-threatening line of work.

Their lights do not fail - period. The only thing that can destroy a Malkoff light is if you insert the cell the wrong way, the older ones go "poof", - now *some* of the new one have reverse polarity protection but not all - bottom line is, don't do it. Pay attention to polarity.

couple them with an indestructable Z41 tailcap and you have a light that will outlive us.

Surefore for instance is neither potted nor heatsinked. It's not in the same realm of reliability as Malkoff under adverse conditions. Malkoff is just excellent, excellent value.

I have almost a dozen of Malkoff drop-in modules and 3 large "Hound Dog" lights, got each for about $150, so $40 is real cheap. Now I got all 3 mildly used.

Rob Babcock likes this.
  5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Sorry I don't have a link to it. Was looking for a high end LED for my old 6p. doubt if this is really in the 400+ range, but still works, ebay years ago. I know is was less than $40.

6. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

For the inexpensive 6P drop-in LED, iive been using NexTorch LED lamps. 320 lumens the retail for @$24