1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Drop / hip / thigh bag recommendations?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Brewer, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Hi, I don't even really know what these are called, let alone what's available!

I volunteer with a couple of local emergency services and often find myself away from the truck and needing some bits and pieces that I can't really carry in my (overloaded) pockets.

Regular bags (back/waist/shoulder) are inconvenient, but I reckon a hip/thigh mounted bag would be perfect - especially if I can find one that just clips onto my existing belt when I leave the truck, with maybe a leg strap for stability.

The clip idea isn't essential but it seems like it would be easier to deal with than having to wrap an extra belt around me, especially once I'm in all my gear.

Does anyone know of anything like this? Any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

2. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

The only way to do this, as I can remember, is a method used in "Costa rig" https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/leg-panel-20MDL1.html

[​IMG]

3. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

I think it largely depends on what you are trying to carry.

Do you need many organizational style pockets or one main dump pocket?

Does it need to be a closed lid to prevent things from falling out or does a simple strap over the top suffice?

How big does it need to be overall?

4. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Something like the Maxpud Thermite or Military Tactical Drop Leg Bag (on the big S. American river shopping site ) maybe what you have in mind.

5. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies!

At this stage I'm not too fussy about organisation - I suppose the ideal solution would have a mix. It will need a zipper or at least a well-fitting flap to protect against loss. The items I have in mind are a couple of alloy wrenches, some dust masks, disposable gloves, maybe goggles if they fit, notebook etc. It would also be good to relocate my flashlight and multitool as these are a bit of a pain to handle on a belt while getting dressed in a moving vehicle, and often slip off the belt in my kit bag. It would be great to have a self-contained pack that I can throw in the truck, then just clip it on and get to work once at the scene.

I googled the above suggestions and saw some solutions that clip to a 2" SRB that is preinstalled on the belt. They all looked a bit smaller than I had in mind (as is the thermite) but that attachment concept would work. I also realised that my Colossus has a belt loop/hanger - I will have a play with it but it is probably too large. It might open up more options though if other versipacks have the same hanger arrangement, I'll investigate (any assistance gratefully received!). It shouldn't be hard to make a leg strap.

#5 Brewer, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

7. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

Check out the Push Archery, Alpha Pack, It was designed for hunting but it might fit your needs.

8. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Not sure if a leg bag or a belt pouch is what you are after:

5.11 Tactical Tigh Rig
    Blackhawk Omega Tigh Pouch
    Maxpedition Thermite
    Tasmanian Tiger Leg Base

5.11 6.6 Pouch
    Maxpedition 5x7x2 Horizontal GP Pouch, JK-1
    Tasmanian Tiger Tac Pouch 4

Also it's a no-go style-wise (maybe not that important in an EMT scenario) ... a fanny pack is no option? They can be worn around the waist and across body (if strap is long enough), available in various sizes and can be removed quickly via a single clip.

9. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I will look into all those suggestions.

A fanny pack is no good - I have tried a Proteus and a Sabercat but once I'm in my PPC it is a real pain to try and attach something else around my waist, it restricts access to pockets, makes it difficult to make adjustments to PPC for heat management etc and just generally gets in the way.

I just tried the Colossus hanging off the duty belt and I reckon there's definitely some mileage in the thigh carry idea. If I load it up it really pulls on the belt, but if I add a simple cross body strap (under my jacket) to the top corners of the bag it becomes quite comfortable, even fully loaded, and it doesn't restrict my stride or my ability to adjust my clothing. So that's an option for fatigue management even if it ends up being quite a heavy pack, which I'm hoping to avoid. I could even look into more elaborate belts with suspenders etc if weight became a problem.

I'm really tempted to grab a Remora and start modding it, but that might need to wait until after Christmas now...

10. FiaOlleDog

Got it, appreciating the detailed feedback.

It seems to be really tricky to add stuff to your on-person carry but not interfere with what you already have/carry/wear.

While reading your post multi-pocket vests came to my mind. Maybe they are also not ideal as they add another layer of clothing (heat management becomes more of an issue) and your outer jacket may be hard to put on/off / close the zipper. But maybe there are light-weight alternatives which are built with mesh instead of cotton (search brought up this) - and showed a chest pack as a potential alternative.

11. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I looked any never really found anything I liked. I'm volunteer FF/first response. The closest thing I found I half liked was some chinese drop leg panel (fleabay find) but it was really aimed at EMTs. It had a bunch of slots and stuff for pens and emt shears but nothing pouch like you could really hold anything else. I was really wanting to put my flashlight and multitool in it to get them off my waist encase I had to throw on my turnouts with a SCBA but the slots just wasn't big enough.

Here lately I've really been looking into the vest like the military have been using (FLC). At least that way one zipper and I can throw it all in my bag.

12. FiaOlleDog

neo71665 likes this.
  13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Appreciate the help but that still puts it on the waist, what we're trying to get away from.

BTW the skinth trailblazer is what I use now.:D

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  14. rearmount

rearmount Loaded Pockets

Former fire guy here...out of curiosity, what are you carrying that you would need a thigh/drop bag? Seems like it would be a hastle over a quickly thrown-over-the-shoulder bag that you can move and remove quickly. Something that clips in with leg strap and all seems kinda bulky.

15. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Thanks again for all the responses.

So one of my main roles is a rural firefighter - this involves bushfires, house fires, motor vehicle incidents etc, and remember we are unpaid volunteers with a range of abilities so it isn't a finely tuned ballet like you see on the movies! I need to help out in unexpected ways WITHOUT having to run back to the truck which could be 100 metres away.

The first job on arrival is to go and assess the incident, for which I really need both hands free and to be mobile (ie no baggage), BUT I may also suddenly need goggles, gloves, respiratory protection, storz wrenches to assist other members coupling hoses, multitool etc. Most of this gear is currently in my jacket pockets, along with a 2-way radio, sometimes 2, a flash hood, and various other items. There is a lot of running around in those first few minutes, and carrying' a separate bag just won't work.

Our issued jackets are lightweight (read: floppy) due to the nature and conditions of most of our work, but we also have access to heavier coats. Having all my gear stuffed in the pockets of my own jacket is no good if I have to swap to another one, plus the overloaded pockets are a pain anyway, with things trying to fall out all the time.

A quick-attach hip carry would be a great solution IMHO.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  16. rearmount

rearmount Loaded Pockets

Hey brother, I completely understand where you're coming from. Our first due area had some rural areas as well and we faced similar challenges. However, just about everyone I know of (and from talking with those on other FDs) carried nearly everything they needed in their bunker pants pockets (if they're not wearing the coat). You'll have those pants on anyways for structure fires, MVCs, etc. If you're in a situation where you might need a flash hood, you probably need the rest of your PPE as well. Need N95's and goggles for MVC? Chances are you'll be pulling the medical kit bag or a tool bag with you, so can't you just grab some from there?

For radios, a leather radio strap holder is priceless-- frees up pockets and you can sling multiple radios if necessary. Plus a bunker coat goes right over the top without having to move it around.

I just feel that a a whole drop-leg setup is a solution looking for a problem....how would that work if you need to don your bunker pants? I think there's a reason you really don't see anyone using that solution.

17. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

Statpacks makes some pretty good gear, includi the traverse G3 thigh-pouch.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  18. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

Statpacks makes some pretty good gear, including the traverse G3 thigh-pouch.

19. Bolanca

Bolanca Loaded Pockets

I have been using Condor cross over leg rig for over 4 years (I was delivery driver on motorcycle) so this thing was perfect for me I could carry everything and not have to sit on my wallet or phone all day ,I use those side pockets for knives and flashlights, zipper compartment on flap was for cash, first pocket was for phone and second for wallet and main large compartment for some multitools that I needed for quick fixes so that I could return to the company and fix problem with proper tools, and I added elastic strap on waist where I kept my pepperspray , only thing that I didn't use much is that high zipper pocket.
    https://condoroutdoor.com/all-products/leg-rigs/219-26.html

20. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Hi all, sorry for the radio silence, things just got a bit crazy over the holidays!

I ordered a Remora and - it is almost perfect. ALMOST - and it won't take as much modding as I thought.

The size couldn't be better - it is big enough to be useful, but not so big as to be inconvenient (I'm a hefty 6'2" though so YMMV). I can fit a set of issue goggles AND a twin filter respirator if I choose, with a good load of other bits like flashlights and multitools too. I may not use it this way, but it's great to know I could.

Unfortunately as it stands the attachment points don't suit a hip attachment - if I use the rear hanging eye, the thing tends to flop and bounce around a bit too much (as the pack is free to swivel around the eye), and the weight of the pack tries to 'peel away' from the attachment point pulling apart the press stud closure.

If I use a belt loop with male SRB to hang it from the original female SRB, it hangs too low. I considered shortening the attached SRB section - I could get about 60mm / 2.5" out of it and still leave some good strong material to stitch to - but this seems like a lot of fiddling and besides I've had a better idea.

I've ordered a steel belt clip, and I reckon if I attach this to the back of the existing flap where the SRB is, it'll hang just right and be a nice quick on and off, plus I can leave the original SRB alone and still use the OEM strap if I want. There's plenty of good material to attach the belt clip to, with several layers of nylon and webbing where all that PALS is.

A nice little bungee cord with a J clip at either end takes care of the bottom end if I need to be walking around with it for any amount of time.

Last edited by Brewer, Feb 23, 2019
    #20 Brewer, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019