1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Drinking Water Distillation Without Sunlight

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Dan2, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked images removed, Rule #3b
  2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I remember reading a story about someone distributing solar stills in Africa. It looked like a trash can lid, the water collected in the rim, and they would place it over vegetative materials.

To distill, you need heat. If the water is contaminated with chemical that vaporizes and condenses around H2O's levels, the distillate would still be contaminated. Salt water, no problem. without sunlight, you need fire. In an urban setting, that contraption on a Weber grill would do nicely, if your gas/electric is out. Then again, you should have a few gallons stashed in the house anyway.

3. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Plus if you drink distilled water extensively, without electrolyte supplements, you can die.

4. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

But chemicals with a lower evaporation temp than H2O can evaporate and evade, before the distillation system is closed. And distillation could be combined with active carbon filtration. And the distillation process can be repeated with the same water supply.

5. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

That could possibly be a problem, but salt, fish or meat could be added to the diet. And most survival situations last for less than a week. At sea salt water is sufficiently available.

Last edited by Dan2, Jul 17, 2012
  6. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

At sea, it would be wise to use solar distillation techniques. Unless you are on a cruise ship, in which case you distill water on the stove tops in the kitchen for everyone else, I will grab the beer! ;)

7. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

8. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I keep hearing this and I just don't buy it. It's one of those things people say but have no evidence (or logical thinking) behind it. Yes we need minerals but if you're counting on a few milligrams per liter of mostly calcium to balance your electrolytes, you really should get out more. Water comes from water and no other source. Minerals come from food and sometimes from things we put in the water to make it more palatable. Water by itself generally contains so little mineral content that it's more or less insignificant, otherwise most people find it brackish.

If you're not eating and you drink only distilled or hyper purified water, then yes, it can be a problem over time but not before you suffer from lack of nutrition.

@ Dan2, Thanks! Always nice to have another trick/method up the sleeve.

9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Water from an aquifer or well has natural mineral dissolved in it already. (google how the drug/mineral Lithium was discovered!) It is added to distilled water to provide taste, of course. If its a survival situation, as it would be if you were distilling water, I would assume that food is also scarce. I agree if you eat well, distilled water has no effect. Stuck in a desert with little to no food, eventually your body will shut down This is because distilled water is not electrically conductive. Thats right, stand in a plastic bucket (clean!!!) with distilled water in it and drop a hair dryer in there... nothing. Your neurons are basically electrical circuits, amongst other things. Replace all the fluid in your body with distilled water... death.

10. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

I assume even the slightest amount of salt in the water, from your sweat will cause electrocution.

11. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I dont know. I will try tonight and get back to you. But in the meantime, if you try it with electrodes, you would get the point.

12. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

DIY: Emergency Desalination still

Purifying OTC Chemicals: Simple Distillation