1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dream /grail knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by thenextarcher, May 10, 2012.

1. Scottyzedinosaur

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

TKC's 3 inch custom XM-18 with the yellow scales. I want that knife with all of my being. I think that I'd trade all my EDC gear for it. I'd use that thing for the rest of my life.

2. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I don't really have a grail. There are a few that I'd quite like to get given the chance, but, as TKC says, 'grail' is used very loosely by many, and my understanding of it is like that 'one' knife that ticks every possible box for you. I don't have one of those.

That said, I don't agree that a grail has to be a super expensive or unobtainable knife. We must remember that for the most part most of us here are in the top small margin of people in the world in terms of fiscal capabilities. I know many people for whom something like a Delica or similar would be considered pretty much unobtainable, not least because they are simply not sold where they live, but also because they are, for most people in the world, extreeeemely expensive.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't stamp a knife as 'expensive' or 'hard to obtain' objectively and only then can it qualify to be somebody's grail knife. If I was very wealthy and had the right phone numbers in my address book most of the sharps we here consider expensive or hard to come by would not be considered so. Can they then not be grails?

neutrontech, PerfectZebra and sungame like this.
  3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

It'll likely be a Model #1. Though I do have my eyes out for a Model #14 without the finger-grip standard handle. Perhaps even a model #2 if I can get one at a price almost close to reasonable. (I'm being realistic.)

4. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I remember those!

thanks for reminding me about them, those Boye's had completely slipped my mind. I too wanted one badly after seeing a few write ups about them, but couldn't afford it when they were available. Never did see one in person, but the photographs were enough to get the mouth watering.

IIRC, he had 2 or 3 different sizes available, and it was the larger one I would have wanted too...

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Back when I first got into knives, I did a lot of enjoyable research and picked Spyderco Calypso Jr. as my "grail knife". Of course, it was out of production by then, and at that point I hadn't gotten into ordering stuff overseas, so the 2nd gen. Caly Jr. was also out of reach. But eventually I acquired both (as well as a Caly 3). Now I don't have a grail knife anymore. There are still a couple of BRKTs that I fancy, and maybe a few others as well, but I'm fairly content with my current knives, so they can wait.

6. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

Here's mine, mostly along the lines of the unobtainable (due to cost or scarcity).
    1. Caswell EDC
    2. Spyderco "Moonglow" EDC Forums Round 2
    3. Original Kershaw Ken Onion with carbon fiber scales (Unicorn status, to replace my missing one).

7. malamalama

malamalama Loaded Pockets

Jon has a EDCF Spyderco Manix 2 moonglow that was returned from Aussie customs in the EDCF Store. Here's the thread with the announcement. moonglow-manix

Kombi likes this.
  8. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

'98 Emerson Commander for me!

9. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

Oh, I didn't expect that... :)

Well, I hesitated just too long. Between reading this and driving to work another lucky customer swooped in on. So it shall remain on my list for a while longer at least.

{ Sent via mobile }

10. nodule

nodule Loaded Pockets

Mine is a Kirby Lambert Inferno, left hand version!

11. malamalama

malamalama Loaded Pockets

Bummers. That was fast. Sorry if I got your hopes up. :)

12. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I tend to be turned off by blades that cost way too much, so I guess you could say I don't really have a grail knife because I always buy the things I like. :/ Right now my temporary Grail Knife is the Perceval Le Francais. Just until I get one imported of course!

13. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

No worries, it was fate telling me yet again to be patient.

{ Sent via mobile }

14. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I would love to get my hands on one of those. The 710 is probably my favorite knife.

15. highlife

highlife Loaded Pockets

Production would be a Hinderer XM-18 or XM-24... Many customs would qualify as grail knives for me.

16. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

You're awfully lucky! :p

17. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I've seen a few BM 705's come up on the used market lately, not here but other forums.

Keep your eyes open, and you'll find one without too much difficulty. Price is pretty reasonable too AFAIAC/

18. causcg

causcg Empty Pockets

Custom: Direware Solo V2. Production: Sebenza, XM-18[​IMG]

mrlysle, PMC and INKGUY79 like this.
  19. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

At the moment it's Small Sebenza....

mooshisho, Vesp and mrlysle like this.
  20. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

My dream/grail knife doesn't exist. But it be a some kind of frankenhybrid of a small sebenza with the deep carry clip and thumb hole/flipper of a buck vantage and an axis lock from a benchmade.

Zookie and mooshisho like this.