1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DQG Spy

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by TiBoy, Jan 26, 2014.

1. moshow9

moshow9 Loaded Pockets

Has anyone picked one of these u yet? I'm tempted to but just not able to swing it right now. Still, would like to hear about first impressions on it.

Blerv likes this.
  2. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

I ordered one just before vacation for Chinese new year. I guess I ordered too late... Should be sent soon I guess. I'll report later. My concern now is to find a good 40-50mAh charger for the cell.

3. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

It's here !

WOW tiny tiny tiny...

MUCH smaller than a Quantum DD...

Great UI, progressive twisty, starts on low, twist more for high. The machining is very nice, no too-sharp edges. The trit vial is very bright so it's from a fresh batch. I'll cover it with a lot of Norland since it can be easily broken exposed as it is. The threads, once lubed, are very smooth.

Not sure it will finally go on the keychain, might be too nice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Ok. That's frackin adorable... :D

5. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Not a fan of the placement of the trit but for $55 it is not too bad of a deal.

6. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

I agree. We can clearly see that the main purpose of these holes were for splitring, not a trit. However, a good layer of Norland will protect the trit quite well. I much prefer a dedicated slot for a trit vial but there's not a lot of room to mill it on such a small guy...

7. Glofindel

Glofindel Loaded Pockets

It's not a bad light.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Blerv and Heywood Floyd like this.
  8. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

How is the mode spacing working out? It almost sounds too wide, 200 lumens to 10?

9. Glofindel

Glofindel Loaded Pockets

In brass? fancy. I like it.

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't know... I think 10X is about the minimum mode spacing that should be used on a 3-mode light, so 20X sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially for a flood light.

derfyled likes this.
  11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It looks like I will be getting his Stainless AAA light when it is ready as then the copper light after that.

Fingers crossed that this pans out.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Apr 2, 2014
    MKLight, docer, Nick4305 and 6 others like this.
  12. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

Thats a lovely looking light.

13. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

DQG Spy 10180 – Quick Review

Pros

Smallest 10180 that I've found – weights next to nothing
    Simple UI – tighten for low, tighten further for high
    No PWM – at least none that I can notice
    Floody beam useful for close quarters
    Good knurling
    Tritium on the tail
    Can tail-stand easily

Cons

Minor issue – a few sharp edges at the tail, near the grooves for the split ring
    Need to take a little care when changing batteries, I find it it relatively easily to cross-thread the threads.
    Beam is pure flood with no hotspot – brightness fades off quite quickly with distance
    Tritium seems quite exposed – I'd be a little worried it might break with keychain duty. I might try and encase it with some Norland 61, if I get a chance.
    Difficult to operate one handed, as it's so small

Versus the Quantum DD

-The DQG spy is significantly smaller and lighter than the Quantum DD.
    -In terms of usability, I prefer the DQG Spy over the Quantum DD. I find with the QTC in the Quantum DD, you have to tighten it with a fair bit of force to get it to max brightness. The lack of decent knurling, compounds this issue further, as it's harder to get good finger support to tighten the light firmly.
    -The tritium you can install into the Quantum DD, is longer in length. And since it is larger, it's also potentially brighter. Also, you can install two pieces of tritium in the Quantum DD without affecting tail-standing ability. With the DQG Spy, if you install a second rod of tritium, you potentially lose the split ring attachment.
    -I feel the Quantum DD has a more modern futuristic look. I feel the DQG spy is more utilitarian in appearance.
    -DQG has a wider and a “pure flood” beam. My version of the Quantum DD, is still a fairly floody beam but has a slight hotspot in the centre.
    -Quantum DD comes with a charger. You have you source your own charger with the DQG Spy.

Other thoughts:

There is also a brass version that is available for even cheaper! The DQG Fairy. Basically, it has the same 'guts' as the DQG Spy, but with a different exterior. Personally, I feel it looks rather plain, so I'm going to give this one a miss.

On my wish list, I'd like to see a version with a reflector or a more focused TIR optic. This will make the flashlight a little more longer, but I'd be happy to accept the trade off. The floody beam is actually quite useful for keychain duties, where it's mostly used to illuminate objects at close quarters. But realistically do we need a keychain light to blast 120 lumens, but only lasts for >10mins at this level? The reason why we (or at least I) have have such an overpowered keychain light is the blast the socks off the “unilluminated”, with their piddly 5-15 lumen button cell light/mag solitaire/iphone LED. A more collimated beam with a brighter hot spot, looks more impressive than a floody beam, particularly if your lighting up an object more than a few metres away.

Ideally, my perfect 10180 flashlight, would be something like the Modamag Drake, but without the PWM, a better looking exterior and an updated LED emitter .

thefrank, Heywood Floyd and Blerv like this.
  14. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Excellent review Hazna, I do share the same views as you about that little light.

I'm wandering if the head of the TI DQG AAA (the latest version, the one that support li-ion) would fit on the SPY body ? It would then be the ideal keychain light with a good balance of throw and flood. Unfortunately, I don't own the latest version to test but I did test the head of the version2 and 3 of the DQG AAA (without the 10080 since the circuit can't go over 1,5v) and they don't fit, the thread is different.

15. Glofindel

Glofindel Loaded Pockets

Very interesting thought. I love to have DQG ti AAA but it seem out everywhere I hope they built more. Its such a good looking AAA.

16. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I got the DQG Spy a few weeks ago and now the brass Fairy! I basically agree with everything that @hazna said in his post above - expect that I do prefer the simple look of the Fairy without the knurling. I would still rank the Quantum over the DQG but unless Veleno starts making a Quantum in brass the Fairy is the only option if you are in the market for a tiny red metal light!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glofindel and Heywood Floyd like this.
  17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have brass Fairy's. I just have not had the time to get them up. They will go up late tonight.

Massen, thefrank, Roger and 2 others like this.
  18. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

Ok....now I'm excited!!

19. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Will there also be a copper light??

20. Massen

Massen Loaded Pockets

Did the trit come preinstalled in that spot? I would think it would be better protected in the other spot as shown on the website.

- Massen