1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dose'nt anyone carry CELOX or QuickClot?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by RAMBOCAT, Feb 18, 2016.

1. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I carry both just about everywhere, car, EDC kit, BOB, ETC.........

2. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I have two gun bags with trauma supplies, plus a dedicated range trauma kit that are equipped similar to the picture... the electrician scissors have been replaced with EMT shears...the larger bags have a couple extra Israeli bandages

[​IMG]

Dutchwogg and RAMBOCAT like this.
  3. sulaco

sulaco Loaded Pockets

I keep some in my hunting kit and keep it with me when I go shooting. I also use Israeli bandages and keep one or two handy.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  4. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I have a few packets of Sport and about 6 packs of Combat Gauze placed in different kits. I don't have and CELOX, but I have nothing bad to say about their product.

5. FoundingFather

FoundingFather Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    My EDC bag trauma kit.

6. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

I keep one in my vest at all times, with a RAT right next to it. in my work bag has a larger kit, with 3 more packs.

7. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Nope.
    1. My EDC is based on keeping it light, simple, and easy to carry everywhere and always (IE- pocket based rather than bag based). I do not EDC much first aid stuff.'
    2. For most people and situations, direct pressure and tourniquets are sufficiently effective, and do not take special supplies.
    3. I try to avoid things in my EDC (and in general) that have high 'per use' costs and/or a shelf life such that I would toss more than I would use.

HOWEVER, if I lived or worked in a place with higher risk of gun or similar trauma, I would certainly rethink my stance.

8. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

Maybe a different individual perspective, but I think a $10 Quikclot ACS sponge for every 5 years is a very good investment.
    In fact, Quikclot is quite stable, so a shelf life of 7+ years is very possible.

9. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

This is a good example of how different people select their guidelines for what they EDC. I'm 57, ex Scout leader and Red Cross instructor, etc. living in a very urban and suburban environment. I've been involved in a few severe bleeds but have always been able to manage with improvised materials so see no reason to EDC such a limited use item.

But my reality and needs are not anyone else's reality or needs and they will carry what they feel they need.

10. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

If your not sure how to deal with wounds you should take a first responders class. You will most likely be told as I was not to use things like quickclot. It makes it difficult to clean the wound and surgeons have a hard time with it. Learning to properly deal with it with some bandages will help everyone in the long run. Here in Ma. You can't even buy quickclot. It has been pulled from the shelves.

most likely sent from my bathroom

11. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I keep some in my FAK when I go hunting. As others have mentioned, it's quite possible to control bleeding without it, but it's small and unobtrusive, so why not? It's another tool in the kit.

12. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

For the old loose powder, that was true. The new stuff is packed in a sponge and does not give out a ton of heat that can damage surrounding tissue. It's much easier to remove from a wound and doesn't hinder a surgeon

13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

That has not been the case for years, quikclot is a tool among others that has a place in a trauma kit but it's obviously not a solution to everything.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

14. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

I keep a small quickclot packet in my IFAK and a larger supply in my Medical BoB

15. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

Check out the 2015 article on Wilderness Medical Society for the overview of Hemostatic Dressing in prehospital setting.
    "Application of Current Hemorrhage Control Techniques for Backcountry Care: Part Two, Hemostatic Dressings and Other Adjuncts"
    (unfortunately I can't post link here yet)

The information Brokedave describe was the first gen hemostatics, they were discontinued almost ten years ago.
    But many instructors, especially non-EMS ones still use it as reference to discourage students from using it.
    Today the latest design is the third gen, mostly hemostatic impregnated gauze rolls that can be use it multiple ways, some even double as burn dressings.

Current hemostatic dressings are very stable and safe. Even states "backward" like here in California approves it for used by both EMS and general public in prehospital setting.

16. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

Dude I Live in Mass. They sell quickclot everywhere. They even have the quickclot impregnated gauze rolls at Cabela's in Hudson. So not sure where you got that info from. But it's bad.

17. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

I was referring more to the powder.

18. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

I've seen the powder for sale as well. I have some in my IFAK. When did you hear about them not selling it in mass anymore?

19. mirrorsbrightly

mirrorsbrightly Loaded Pockets

I have some in my EDC FAK. I think it's an older sponge type. I need to replace it with the Combat Gauze.

20. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

First responder class I took about 4 months ago