1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

dose any one EDC super glue for deep cuts and scrapes???

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by chico13, Jun 17, 2011.

1. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

it is a thought it is water tight after it drys and stops bleeding evin tho it burns like hell in the cut you put it in

2. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

So many spelling mistakes. But no I don't.

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Me neither and I wouldn't use it, too much risk of leaving dirt and nasties in the wound.

4. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

well of course you would clean the cut first then use the super glue

5. stargazin

stargazin Loaded Pockets

I have many times, I've even used quickset spray to seal it up faster, it's a little freaky to see the tendril smoke wisps as it rapidly heats up and sets; but the cut is closed and staying that way for a few days and it only burns for a bit!

6. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

They got these things called emergency rooms and clinics, where people who have special training will clean the germs out of the wound before they close it. I would suggest using them. Sometimes people finally come into the ER looking for help with superglued, festering pus-filled wounds after an attempt at the practice of medicine without a license.

7. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

Its my favorite band-aid. It is in my bag at the ready. I personally have never had a negative experience with it.

8. Ryno

Ryno Loaded Pockets

I've used it many times... like they did in wars... which it was designed for... on the muddy germ filled battle fields lol

holds bits back on a treat while your body bonds them back together and rejects the impurities! :D

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Can't say I've tried it. I prefer Neosporin and a Band-Aid. After having experience with a staph infection in a simple cut, I don't think I'd want to superglue and seal the nasties inside.

10. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I do use it for paper cuts and very small, clean knife cuts but anything deeper than 1/8-1/4" or dirty, you really just want to dress the wound properly and change the dressings the right way until you can get the proper care. I guess it does seal a wound well but that is exactly what you don't want. You want to be able to clean the would if it starts festering.

Source: I'm a WFR.

11. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

No, just....no. I do edc it though.

Neosporin and a band-aid works better for me, which is also always in my edc.

12. ericfrey

ericfrey Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking of putting one of those little tubes in my first aid kit. I don't think I'd use it on a client, for fear of liability. However, one particular scrape I had personally was made right as rain with some super glue and athletic tape. Didn't leave a scar that I can see, and it was almost as deep as cuts I've had that did require stitches, and have left scars. A lot cheaper than a doctor's visit.

13. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

i do a lot of work in my workshop......and i inevitably end up cutting myself.....a lot.

80% of the time i reach for superglue.

after washing and drying the wound.....i apply a drop on the side of the cut, and then use a q-tip or paper towel and smooth it over the cut....i dont actually fill the cut with glue.

now this is probably not the most sterile......but over the dozens or so times ive done it, ive never had a problem with infections or the wound healing properly

now i wouldnt use this on a huge gash....but for a small knick or slice...works great.

i keep 2 tubes in my FAK and a few extra in my bag.

14. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

I carry it but haven't tried it for a treatment. I find it odd to be used as such... accidentally getting some on the skin is annoying enough, but putting it on purpose? on a cut? :shrug:

15. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

its been used by Vets for years, and is actually one of the recommended uses by the guy who invented it.

16. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

The regular super glue heats up a lot as it cures. This tends to kill a lot of nasties, but is really bad news for your skin etc in large quantities as it will cook you essentially. I use super glue an awful lot though but in tiny tiny quantities on small, shallow cuts. The medical or veterinary glues (dermabond etc) are a different formulation.

17. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

super glue gets warm as it cures,sure........but it certainly wont reach a temperature suitable to kill germs/ Bacteria........and it sure as heck wont get hot enough to cause any sort of burns to the skin...

heck, ive had my hands literally covered in the stuff before ( and yeah...getting it all off was a trip)........never had any ill effects.

18. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

I had a summer job long ago working for the company that made superglue. Its been used in plastic surgery where you don't want a scar, but that's medical grade not the stuff from the hardware store. I echo others who say not to use it on any deep cuts, you'll just seal in all kinds of nasty bacteria.

19. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

I have superglue in my EDC, but not in my FAK, Band-Aids and neosporin. In a pinch i guess it could work, but even then i'd prefer to just tape it closed if i didn't have a bandaid, even ducktaping the wound closed, because then the ER staff can get in and clean it, or i can go in and clean it. The idea of permenantly sealing a wound shut just doesn't seem right to me i guess. However, i know they do make those "liquid bandages" which are made for that purpose, maybe throw one of those in your edc kit? Just my 2 cents though, but people don't generally die from a paper cut or a small laceration, they are FAR more likely to die of an staph infection

-EMT-B/WEMT/WFR/SAR TEK 3

20. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I don't carry the super glue brand, or glue from the hardware/craft departments, but I do carry the liquid band aid stuff you get in the first aid/medicine department. Not sure what, if any, difference there is but it makes me feel better knowing that it was designed for use on cuts. Has a brush with it to apply, and I use it all the time.