1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dogs and cars. (mild rant)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by jda, Dec 20, 2014.

1. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Anyone else ever have someone comment on leaving your dog in the car?

I went to harbor freight before, took the dog as I always do, and went in the store, did my shopping, and came out.

Some guys waiting by the Jeep, I put my stuff in, and he starts talking about "You know its legal to break the window if there is an animal trapped in the car, right? if youre cold, so is he"

I had just gotten done with a 12 hour day, dealing with irate customers, I'll admit it - I lost it a little.
    I got loud and a bit "abrasive", while hes sitting there looking at me like he didnt expect a negative reaction. I go back in my truck and went to grab a bite.

Honestly, its 50* right now, hes not going to freeze. I was in and out in 20min, and he LOVES the car. Who do you think you are? What business is it of yours, and what makes you think busting out my window and screwing with my dog would go well for you?

If it was summer and 100*, yea, I can understand that. Or if its 10*, and he'd freeze, then id be the first one to say something, but not when its a nice night and a quick run into the store.

Anyone else ever have to deal with something like this? Am I wrong here?

Nighted, kertap75, Sachmo and 2 others like this.
  2. ODBenji

ODBenji Empty Pockets

If you're cold so are they? :censored:. Last I checked dogs have a :censored:load of fur on their bodies to keep them insulated and warm. Guy sounded like a self-righteous dbag. Shoulda asked if he wanted to see what happens when someone breaks my window LOL.

Epilektos, Nighted, Sachmo and 2 others like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

4. CStew

CStew Loaded Pockets

I had the animal police called on me once. My wife and I went to the store and left our Aussie in the back yard. It started raining and we didn't have a dog house so one of my neighbors called us in. Our dog is an inside dog anyways. Animal cop showed up and looked at our dog and said "yeah he doesn't look like he's mistreated" and left us alone.

Glad I don't live in that neighborhood anymore.

5. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Would have liked to see him come close to my car with my dog in it, let alone break a window. It's his car, not mine. Dog would have gone ape:censored:.

Bulldog87, SMAJ, kertap75 and 3 others like this.
  6. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

My dog is just a puppy and short of work he goes everywhere with me, twenty degrees sitting in the woods for hours. At some point I'll get my work situation adjusted and he will be there as well. I've seen how he reacts to strangers and all I can say is if they break the glass they earned what they will get. Must be a jeep thing.

7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I had a similar conversation with a gentleman who actually blocked my truck in with his car so he could call the Police on me for leaving my dog in the car. Bear in mind that I was in the store for 10 minutes and it was 72 outside with the windows cracked. I asked him to politely move his car and he refused. As the Police Officer arrived he surveyed the situation (the gentleman obviously did not tell the Police the truth of why he called them) and turned to me to ask if I wanted to press charges on the gentleman for False Imprisonment. Needless to say, this gentleman got a rude awakening and a lesson in why you don't call the Police under false pretenses. :)

I can certainly feel for not wanting to see animals suffer, but I am reminded of something my father said to me as a young man... "Don't open your mouth unless you are completely prepared for the fact that you may have your foot shoved in it!".

8. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Break a window to let a dog out? :eek:
    Good Heavens WHY???!!?:nah_disagree:

I find this tremendously ironic...

Dam things should be confined in the car! Ive come Extremely close to shooting someone elses dog IN or around their car/truck a time or two because the dang thing Could get out...

Thats the one that gets me:censored: :stomp::censored: ... guys that leave the dog in the car with the windows down so the dog can get air, or in the back of their truck and park next to me... Its always the meanest :censored:ing dog in existance too, and some idiot decides to park it next to my car, so I can't get to my car without the dog going ape :censored: and trying to tear my head off.. :nah_disagree: Friend of a friend got bitten pretty bad once like that, just trying to get to his car so he could leave.

Bad enough that dogs like that go off and scare the crap out of ya if you don't know they are there; its a p!ta, but I understand the "dog protects car concept" But most that do that are idiots that roll the windows down half way... (illegally I might add... if the dog can reach outside the vehicle, its illegal, they are required to be restrained so they can't reach or get out of the vehicle. Window down so dog can breath I understand... takes like 1" max... not half the :censored: way down!

Sorry. End of my own rant..

9. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

My German Shepherd used to be a bit possessive if people came too close to the car, for that reason I stopped leaving her in the car in car-parks where the cars are parked close together. I used to leave a small air gap at the top of the window, someone pushed a filled nappy (diaper) through the gap, so I guess that counts as a non-verbal comment on the situation.
    It would have to be very cold indeed for a dog to become too cold in a car, not something likely in the UK.
    I wouldn't hesitate to break a car window if I genuinely thought a dog was going to die from heatstroke. Dog deaths in cars due to heatstroke are all too common. Two police dogs died of heatstroke in a police vehicle a couple of years ago. The dog-handler forgot they were there. There were mitigating circumstances, but the judge said in summing up that the police officer was lucky not to go to jail.

Water-Rat and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Bleedin' heart lefties---a:censored:.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Pretty d:censored:n sure there are a:censored: on both sides of the aisle..... take it on faith.

ATB,
    Sam

12. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Tha
    That's a fact,:) but we seem to be out numbered, can still win though.

13. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

mostly just issues with :censored:holes that own dogs... ;)
    And then like half of all dog-dom doesn't like me... But I don't have a problem with them unless the affore mentioned :censored:holes force them to do something dumb..

15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree. Just as people are lacking in manners, their respective creatures (kids, dogs) are often spawns of this behavior, displaying the worst qualities almost immediately.

I've had to 'line trim' a hound once that came at me very aggressively. I felt bad but at that point, it was his rear or mine that was getting 'chewed up'.

16. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I use to have a Chesapeake Bay Retreiver....one Fall day I was throwing a stick into a local pond and it was retrieving it.
    A lady came up to me and said don't you think it's a little too cold for the dog to be in the pond....I said you do know what kind of dog it is...and what they were bred for???? A Chesapeake Bay Retriever...bred to retrieve ducks/geese out of cold water...
    She just walked away in a huff.

17. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sounds like the lady that told me my 4 month old boxer had hip displacement.

I think that we have lost a little bit of whatever it is that makes us a community. So it's good to see people step up and speak out when they see injustice/abuse. Too bad so many people who do so are morons lol.

18. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Agreed 100%. So many folks in our world today live their lives online and in their phones... When they do take the time to look up and see something they don't agree with they are so out of touch with reality that they don't realize how ignorant they are of what is really going on. Then again they are also so self absorbed that they can only see the situation from one perspective which only compounds things for them (and those dealing with them).

keith1234 and kertap75 like this.
  19. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Never, well except when I'm getting gas on the way to the pet store, hiking, or beach, sometimes I have to stand in line to pay for gas and snacks.
    I always leave a crack, especially being in Ca.

If I saw a dog in a hot car, I'd either smash the windows if completely sealed, or alert the cops, unless it was at a gas station lol

keith1234 and kertap75 like this.
  20. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Here's one to make you think, some places its illegal to leave your dog in a car that isn't running. On the other hand the guys and girls that drive professionally have to follow idling laws making it so its illegal to keep the trucks cool or warm when they have to shut down for their federally mandated brakes. Somehow no one seems to care if they are sweating or freezing, but a dog that seems to hold more intrinsic value to some.

AK Adventurer, keith1234 and kertap75 like this.