1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dog EDC - Coda's Thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Jul 19, 2016.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

On November 4, 2015, my life changed forever when I welcomed into my family a beautiful Doberman girl that I named Coda. I had wanted a Doberman for several years, but I had been dog-less due to circumstances not being ideal for dog ownership--going to college and working crazy hours, etc. Finally my life and work schedule changed to the point I could have a dog in my life again and this is my first dog all on my own (others were family dogs when I was in middle and high school). She is my whole world, and she goes everywhere with me except work and the grocery store. And trust me, I've tried to convince my bosses to let her ride on the ambulance with me at work to no avail lol. I spoil her like crazy so most of my gear buying these days is for her. I figure it might be helpful to other dog owners on here to start up her own thread with her gear. And maybe it's also an excuse to post up more pictures of her ;) While this is technically Coda's thread, anyone is free to put up pics/reviews of their own dog's gear as well.

Nick4305, Holliday and kkay like this.
  2. GatorMedic

Reserved for future indexing

3. GatorMedic

I'm going to start this thread off with collars. Every dog needs a good collar so it makes sense to begin there.

When I welcomed Coda home at three months old, I started her off with a typical nylon puppy collar. Specifically hers was the Top Paw (PetsMart) brand in a bright yellow color. I liked it on her, and it worked well for a little while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually though it began to get dirtier and dirtier. And every time it would get wet, it would stay wet for a long time. It began to get a bad mildew type smell to it. So I'd just buy her a new one and change it out. Finally when she was about 6 months old or so I decided I was going to try to clean the collar so I wouldn't have to keep replacing it. I tried dish soap and a toothbrush and all it did was cement the dirt in further into the nylon. Her bright yellow collar was now a disgusting brown/yellow combination. I finally said no more to nylon and went in search of a better solution. That quest led to the billion collars she now has lol. I'll review and cover each in turn, but I'm going to review two of my favorites today.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305, Holliday and kkay like this.
  4. GatorMedic

My absolute favorite collar of Coda's is the Dogids Soft Grip Scrufftag collar, and it's the one she wears most out of all of them. And true to my obsessiveness she actually has three different ones. I truly believe it is Coda's favorite collar as well. Coda is used to me changing her collar all the time to include multiple times throughout a day sometimes, so she automatically sits patiently while I do it. Some of the collars you can tell by her body language she isn't as big a fan of, but every time this collar goes on she wags her tail a little more than the others. Every time. So that's her review of it, and I'll give mine. 1. This collar is mud proof, dirt proof, saltwater proof, and smell resistant. If that part doesn't get your attention, then I question whether you actually have a dog lol. The collar is easily cleaned just by running it under the faucet and wiping it off with a paper towel. It doesn't stay wet, the dirt/mud doesn't stick in it, and no bad smell gets retained in it. Simply put this collar gives you peace of mind that whatever trouble or dirty adventures your pup gets into it won't affect their collar at all. 2. The material is soft and pliable which I'm sure is comfortable for the dog. 3. It just plain looks good. If you get the black or brown one, it almost looks like leather. Or you can spice it up with several different color choices. 4. No tag jingling! At first I didn't think this was a big deal. But after Coda started wearing this collar for awhile, when I switch her to another collar with a tag it drives me a little nuts. Even if/when she wears a tagged collar during the day I almost always switch her back to this one at night so we're all spared the jingling noise while we sleep. 5. I actually like the tag being easily read on the scruff of her neck for a couple reasons. People can see her name more readily so they stop pronouncing it wrong and they spell it correctly more often. If your dog has an easier name you probably won't care about that. But also since she is a Doberman some people are automatically afraid of her courtesy of stupid movies that portray the breed as mean. So if she were to get lost, I feel that someone would be more willing to approach close enough to see my phone number than having to grab the dog and flip a tag over under their mouth to see a contact number. Again, if you have a lab or something it might not be a big deal to you. But anything that could possibly keep my girl safer is good to me. Now you can get up to four lines of text on the tag and have a few different fonts to choose from. I did the regular font for two of them (for ease of reading, back to safety thing for me), but used one of the cooler fonts for her beach collar. Like I said, Coda has three of these collars. The black one is her most worn collar. The green one is her beach collar, and with the stainless hardware they have on it the saltwater hasn't affected it at all. The third one is a yellow reflective one that is made out of a slightly different material. She wears that one at times when safety and seeing her is a bigger priority because she's a black dog.

Summary: If Coda was only going to have one collar, this would be it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

kkay likes this.
  5. GatorMedic

So some of you might like the attributes of the dogids scrufftag collar, but you might not be able to spend that much on a collar or maybe you like it but want a regular tag on it. I got you covered. TheDogOutdoors Zeta collar. It's extremely cheap, but made out of a very similar material as the dogids one. It's a basic buckle style collar and is available in a few different colors. I actually purchased one in black for Coda and liked the material which is what led me to finding the dogids version a couple weeks later. It's a great option for those on a tight budget or for a puppy collar since they grow so fast. I actually just had a friend buy one for her puppy on my recommendation. I showed her the dogids ones which she loved but I talked her into getting TheDogOutdoors Zeta one now and then splurging on the Dogids one when the puppy is close to full grown so she doesn't have to buy multiple as she outgrows them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and kkay like this.
  6. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

You are evil. Doggy edc. Where did you get the collar with coda on it in big letters ?
    My girl could use a new collar soon :)

GatorMedic likes this.
  7. GatorMedic

That collar is actually a new model by RDR Custom Kydex that hasn't been released yet with a K9 Tactical Gear custom name patch. Review to follow...

8. GatorMedic

Next collar up for review: RDR Custom Kydex collar. Not sure what its official model name is because as of the last I heard a few weeks ago it still hasn't been released for sale to the general public yet. So how the heck did Coda get her paws on one? I sent Coda off for a month of "college" (i.e. off-leash training). The folks at RDR Custom Kydex apparently gave her trainer a few of the collars for her own personal dogs and one or two she could give away to her dog graduates. Coda was the lucky one who received it as a graduation gift. I have since bought a custom name patch from K9 Tactical Gear to go on it. It's a pretty bad:censored: collar if I do say so myself. It has a cobra buckle that I believe is made out of Kydex as well as a big Kydex D-ring for tags or to connect a leash. You're able to adjust it to reveal however much Velcro space you want which is how Coda's name patch is attached. I really like that it can accommodate a big name patch on it or if needed a message patch that says Do Not Pet or whatever you need. It is a thicker collar and for Coda's skinny neck (~16") it wraps around itself three times. So definitely not a collar for little dogs unless they come out with other sizes/models. Since it is such a thick and wide collar it kind of interferes with Coda wearing her prong and/or e-collar in addition to it. I mean they all fit together but it's taking up her entire neck to do so. That is the only draw back to this collar in my opinion. Coda will probably be weaned off her prong and e-collars in a few months time, but for now it stops me from putting it on her as much as some of her other collars. I would recommend it for those that want a more tactical looking collar or a collar that can accommodate a large name/message patch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305, Water-Rat and kkay like this.
  9. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Wow--I've never thought that much about collars in my entire life. Looks like you've got an awesome pup there.

GatorMedic likes this.
  10. GatorMedic

You might be a new mom if... Lol I spent an entire hour researching dog shampoo/conditioner before she even arrived home. When I get a project/goal/pursuit in my mind then I go ALL IN. Parenthood to my pup is no exception :)

Cody_2ZZ likes this.
  11. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Hmm hope they make a smaller size, or could you cut it down and sew it ???
    My little lady has a 20" neck, sounds like that collar would fit a horse

GatorMedic likes this.
  12. GatorMedic

It should fit a 20" neck well. I see no impediment to cutting it down smaller. Maybe I'll do that when my girl is done growing if it's still big on her. Dobermans stop growing height wise around one year but they don't finish filling out until 1.5-2 years old. So I assume Coda's neck will start to fill out more as her chest does.

13. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

She needs more steak! ;)

GatorMedic likes this.
  14. GatorMedic

So do I lol

15. GatorMedic

I celebrated my ONE year birthday today!!! My mom gave me a new piece of EDC gear as a present--the K9 Tactical E-Quick Tactical Collar :)

[​IMG]

Oh and I got cake too lol

[​IMG]

16. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

That is one lucky pup right there. :cool:

I have been looking over your dog gear. It looks like you have found some excellent stuff. I want to get my dog a sturdy & comfortable pack to walk with in the future. I want my dog to carry some of her own gear, so it will have to have saddle bags, or something similar. It will be a while before I will get her anything new. But I will have a wish list, when the time comes. Thanks for the great thread.

Last edited by kkay, Aug 2, 2016
  17. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Coda is wonderful !

twin63 likes this.