1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dog Bug Out Bag (BOB) w/pictures...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by bigfoot, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

A while back I picked up a Mountainsmith "Modular Hauler 3" on sale with the idea of making it into grab 'n' go bag in case of evacuation. There are three separate pods all contained within one carrier. That was enough room for each of us for extra clothes and footwear, with one pod left over. I tried to think of a good use for it, but came up empty. With the recent addition of a dog to our family, all of a sudden I remembered the extra pod. What dog doesn't need his own BOB?! ;D

So here's what we came up with, in no particular order...

Grub: Dry food, Milk Bones, Charlee Bears (training treats). All vacuum sealed and dated. (Might add a can or two of wet food and some bottled water.)
    First Aid: Alcohol wipes, antibacterial wipes, Neosporin, flea comb, medical gloves, gauze, tape, bandages, Benadryl. (Need to add tweezers.)
    Care: Towel, folding bowl (for water), small Tupperware (for food), leash, collar, tennis ball, copy of medical paperwork & vaccines, Ziploc bags, trash bag.

We still have plenty of room left over. Any suggestions welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry L, Lynx, Fukurai and 5 others like this.
  2. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Looks great. We also have a kit for our dog. You should think about adding a lint roller for cleaning dog hair off car seats and clothes. Another thought is to add plastic bags for cleaning up after an inappropriate public deposit. The vacuum sealed pouches are cool for long term storage, but I'm guessing you will bringing this kit with you on road trips, in which case ziplocs will work better.

mole likes this.
  3. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Very nice. Add some dodo bags are you are gold.

4. DoggyDaddy

DoggyDaddy Empty Pockets

Good kit, but I'm wondering how long the food supply will last for your GSD or is this just basically an overnighter exercise.
    Personally I would put in a s/s food bowl & water. I'd also add a choker chain & leather leash :)

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys for the suggestions! We'll be adding some plastic bags for pickup, need to put another choke chain on the list of things to get (already have one, a backup is a great idea), and toss in a lint roller. Food-wise it's a little light, need to seal up another pouch or two of food. I guess where I'm stuck is in some ways this is an evacuation bag stored for emergencies, but I also can see this being used day-to-day. Maybe it really is a dog "EDC" instead of "BOB".

Argh... decisions, decisions. :green:

6. ecfiffer

ecfiffer Empty Pockets

nice load! wow that sounded wrong :) now how are you going to get your dog to carry it? i remember my parents getting a bag thing that was meant for our dog (then a sheltie) she was too prissy for it. but now that we have a dog with some size, our great dane (now i'm married with 2 well 3 kids :) including lilly)

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

:jester: Okay, you got a pretty good laugh out of me with the one-liner.

The bag itself isn't meant to be carried by the dog, although I bet if we left it in the yard long enough he would decide to make it "his".

8. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

Id say add a couple more towels for bedding and drying off and a soft type of muzzle just in case not that the dog would bite anyone but people are all skittish these days about dogs. if its muzzled it would put some fears to rest.
    jester02k

9. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

That's a great dog. No reason for a dog of that size not to be able to carry some supplies too. Get him used to carrying a dog pack and you'll have even more space. No need to come close to overloading the pack but why not add to your length of time to cover any situation in case it really is a BOB and not just for EDC? Other than that I would only suggest maybe a stouter lead and a small light (like a photon) for his collar in case he gets off the lead at night.

10. groovygypsy

groovygypsy Empty Pockets

I would say get rid of the milk bones and add more kibble and water. You don't need training treats either. You can use kibble or better yet the ball. Get a bite tug from elitek9.com a harness and some dog booties

for the first add kit, put a few tubes of super glue in there and EMT Gel. Asprin and a few wraps.
    super glue is for torn pads and cuts. The emt gel is for larger wounds from say a barb wire fence.

11. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Some more awesome ideas... no wonder I love this place! :inlove:

12. groovygypsy

groovygypsy Empty Pockets

here's another thought OP.

what kind of kibble are you feeding?

If you switch to a good dog food like EVO Red you can get by with feeding your dog less because its so nutrient dense. that means you can carry "more" kibble. Also on the go the dog doesn't need to eat much. Don't feed twice like you would at home. One in the evening just before bed would be good because it will help settle the dog in a strange place.

13. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

We've been feeding Nutro large breed adult. In part because it was the same brand of food used by the previous owners, and also because he seems to like it.

14. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the suggestion to skip the treats and training rewards. Dogs don't really know the difference. They certainly can't tell if you only give them a tiny peice of a biscuit. Using regular dry food works just as well. I trained dogs with no food rewards, just praise and affection. That will save you a ton of room in the pack(s) and really extend your time away from home potential.

Also at least when I had dogs I found that I had to be very careful of the calorie content of the food or they'd gain weight way too fast -- the Akita I had got up to about 130lbs.! She was a huge dog anyway, way taller than average but that was too much. Big breeds especially need to be a bit trimmer or it can really make a difference in their health and lifespan, not to mention making hip and back problems worse. If their stool is too large and "bulky," look for a lower calorie food and feed them less. I switched food gradually (started with 1/4 of the feed being the new food, then 1/2, 3/4, and done) and they didn't notice the change. Only had to feed a big dog maybe a little less than about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of food a day in total and they were fine, healthy, and happy.

15. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

in a bug-out situation, that dog had better be prepared to carry it's own weight

nice package all around. instead of adding little plastic bags to put his mess in, why not a shovel to just bury it? it'll be a bit easier to track you, but hey, at least you won't be lugging around dog crap...

edit- though the stink of the dog crap would be easy to track, also, so maybe carrying it isn't a good idea...

16. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Who do you expect to be tracking OP and his dog?

17. jehan60188

whoever else is looking for him; a bug out bag is for any things-get-bad situation- whether you're fleeing an oppressive regime, or just trying to get to safety after economic collapse and you don't want other survivors stealing your hoard. you need to be ready.

18. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

I'm not super worried about escape and evasion, but just being prepared for a nearby disaster that forces us to evacuate from home in a short amount of time. Staying home and "bugging in" where all the supplies and goodies are is a much more preferable choice. But, the dog being able to carry his own special pack is something we'd like to work towards in the future. Especially on day hikes where he could carry his own water and snacks.

19. jehan60188

i think most people are of that disposition- bugging in; i hope you have a gun (remington 870), because there will be looters (new orleans, anyone?).
    i 'know' i've seen packs like that at REI- almost like saddles without the seat (just side compartments)- http://www.rei.com/product/700069
    dogs were used to carry loads 'back in the day' so you can probably load it to 50% of his body weight (consult a vet to be sure!); if he's incredibly well trained, you probably don't need a leash, but i (as a fellow hiker) would appreciate you keeping him on a leash in case he sees something that spooks him. happy trailblazing!

other useful/interesting things for your pooch at rei: http://www.rei.com/search?query=dog&button.x=0&button.y=0 (just searched for 'dog')

20. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Oh, I'm not too worried about someone getting in the house. If they can sneak past ol' four paws & radar ears they will have more than an 870 to deal with. :winkwink:

Thanks for the links to the REI pages!