1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dog as part of your home security plan?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by dmattaponi, Mar 22, 2014.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I really really miss my Weatherby XXII Is yours Belgian or Japanese? Does yours have the round safety or the older serrated safety?

I had the scope with the integrated mounts for it. I really miss that gun, my dad got one for me in I think in 1973, or 1974. It made me sick when I had to let it go.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Mar 23, 2014
  2. The Governor

The Governor Loaded Pockets

Spotted the Weatherby, did you? Pure class gun. Japanese with serrated safety. Was you scope like this one?;)

[​IMG]

3. Chicago-Spike

Chicago-Spike Loaded Pockets

Yep, Maximus Rex here is our EWS at home. He's 3 years old Belgian Malinois

[​IMG]

4. Chicago-Spike

Chicago-Spike Loaded Pockets

Here's the business end if you make it inside;

[​IMG]

5. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

All of us try to hide behind my wife! (looks nervously over shoulder to see if she is around while writing comment)

Shur and vegassprky like this.
  6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Yep, that is the scope. The only reason I spotted it easily is after I got it the only rimfire rifles I shot anymore was the XXII and an Anschutz. Well, I would use a Browning SA-22 once in awhile but it took a back seat to the XXII and Anshutz.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Mar 23, 2014
    warchild, vegassprky and The Governor like this.
  7. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just believe that a home with a dog will deter an invader more than a home without a dog.
    -
    I have a BIG dumb dog - purebred great dane. He runs security.

I also have a very SMALL, dumber dog - purebred chihuaha (sp?). She runs surveillance.

The little dog hears EVERYTHING, and is very weary of strangers. The big dog follows the little dogs "vibes", often, when it comes to new people in the house.

It doesn't matter how aggressive they may or may not be. I believe two barking dogs will deter someone more than 0 barking dogs. It will annoy the intruder, maybe break their confidence and shatter their focus. It may alert neighbors or alert people in the house of people outside or prowling around...

It's cheaper and more neighborhood friendly than installing a .50cal turret off-center of the driveway.

8. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Nobody would dare attempt to enter...

[​IMG]

9. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

what may cause great distress to a toy poodle may go completely ignored by a great dane...

the photos below are stock...mostly my family doesn't take pictures of its animals very often although i know that some exist of all of them it just been a decade since the 2 i am talking about have been gone and like memories pictures tend to fade and become lost overtime...

my grandmother lived alone for nearly 20 years after my granddad died but she always had a dog or dogs around plus a cat or 2 for mouse control...

her last one and my last one before moving away from the compound were a half pyrenees/half samoyed and i had a half chow/half malamute...

after i would leave for work from my place my dog would go to her house and sleep on the back porch all night long while hers would sleep on the floor beside her bed...she said she never felt afraid once with the brown dog outside and the snow white dog on the inside...each dog outweighed her by about 15 to 30 lbs depending on time of year...

[​IMG]
    half breed 2 by ibescottfree, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    half breed by ibescottfree, on Flickr

of particular note i should mention how blood thirsty these dogs could be...the white dog lived to hunt coyotes and taught the brown dog to hunt them as well and once or twice a week both would show up on the back porch exhausted...the brown dog never got dirty so that you could tell but the white dog would have a red to pink muzzle and front legs which after she licked for about an hour would sparkle like new snow...we never heard of anyones calves being killed or chickens or rabbits missing so its safe to assume that our dogs didn't kill any livestock but we always heard stories about dead coyotes...

10. REDDEVIL

REDDEVIL EDC Junkie!!!

indeed! this is Powak:D
    [​IMG]
    he is much bigger now
    [​IMG]
    and has since gotten a girlfriend, Muuya (right)
    [​IMG]
    and here he is with my wife's Chihuahua, Valentine
    [​IMG]

11. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

But nowhere near as fun!!

I mean come on!! The little kids like them too!!

[​IMG]

12. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

I have a English Choco Lab that does the barking. Pure loving family dog. My Rottie working as a Fugitive Recovery Agent , is silent until commanded. He has a knack for winning stare down contests. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

13. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

This is Zeus...
    [​IMG]
    90 pound lab/mastiff mutt. Best watchdog I have ever had. He can be overly enthusiastic in his duties. He has went through two screens while left alone with the windows open. He can be pretty intimidating, but is really a big baby.

These two are the new sharp end of the spear...
    [​IMG]
    Our last Jack Russel was natural born killer. If it had 4 legs and was less than twice his size, it was toast. He tangled with a coyote and lost last year. In a year without him, I now have a couple of raccoons living in my barn, I have trapped over a dozen rats, and have a groundhog trying to dig to China under one of my outbuildings. The new pups are only 8 and 10 pounds now, so they have some growing to do before I unleash them on all the unwelcomed 4 legged trespassers on the farm.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Jack Russel's are a ton of fun. Sorry about your loss.

Are you Southern Indiana? I am betting corn and soybeans?

15. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Northern. Corn, beans, feed for hogs and a steer. Lots of eats for unwanted critters. Having a Jack around is better than a whole herd of cats. When our last one ran into a raccoon the first time, I thought he was in trouble. He weighed about 15 pounds, but was built like a tank. I tried to call him off, I had my .45 handy, but he just kept circling around the coon, not even barking or growling. He finally just grabbed it by the back of the neck, shook it a couple times and spit it out. He then went prancing back to the house, curled up on his bed and had a nap.

There were several times that unwanted two legged visitors showed up at the house and if they made it out of their car, he would get them right back in it. You wouldn't think a 15 pound dog could back down a 200 pound man, but people seemed to sense that he meant business.

This is the late Jack(original huh?) in his favorite sleeping position...
    [​IMG]

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

They say a Jack Russel is a big dog in a small package. I have always liked them a bunch. They can be pretty hyperactive but a ton of fun.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  17. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

This clearly shows that Jack felt absolutely safe, sound and comfortable and had the perfect home!
    Sorry to hear that he lost his last fight.

twoisone, Octane957 and FL Woods Bum like this.
  18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Yes, my dog serves as an early warning system - both to us and to anyone who comes anywhere close to our home. He barks like a rabid chupacabra when anyone comes within sight of our house ... or when a leaf blows by.

[​IMG]

19. Octane957

Octane957 Loaded Pockets

She doesn't look like much but she will let you know when someone is around. She is 45lbs and part German Shepard among other things. She is the best dog I have ever had and very protective of our family.
    This is what she does every morning when I am fixing to leave and when I come home in the evening. I guess I spoiled her rubbing her belly all the time. Also this is a pic of her with a cat we used to have. They were good friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

Nobody comes into or near our hose without approval of Anne. Anne is an 80 pound Black and Tan coonhound, who despite being "my" dog has attached herself to my wife. She is a bit overly protective but I'm okay with that we just have to exercise caution.

She is a rescue and an incredible hound.
    [​IMG]

Then we have this..
    [​IMG]

And a wiener dog so...