1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does your physical shape/weight effect your EDC?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ManVsLawn, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've got a question, and in no way is it meant to offend.

I am 6ft1, 185. I'm not skin and bones, but, I'm "height weight proportional". I feel almost ANYTHING on me is too much extra. If my knife, multitool, belt, keys, or pack weighs me down, I have to minimalize it/slim the contents. I don't wear a watch and barely carry my wallet.

I saw a post stating after one members weight loss, they slimmed their EDC down as well..

If you are "skinny" or "in shape", do you feel you carry minimalist gear to match? or does having less body weight allow for more gear weight?

And for the "fluffy," or, members that are bigger, do you carry more of supplies? Or does having more body weight only permit lighter carry of items?

This post is in no way meant to offend. Just as a "slim" individual, I don't see a lot of places to carry many things.

Neck knives show through many shirts. Items in my pockets bulge out too much. Many bulky items get caught, snagged, or just do not sit right on my rather straight up and down frame.

Completely curious, and in no way meant to hurt anyone's feelings! It is probably more of a question of body shape than weight.

2. brokenoldman

brokenoldman Loaded Pockets

I'm 6'5" and went from 200lbs to 250lbs and am carrying about the same. I am just used to carrying a heavy backpack with my edc in it. I have to say, a smaller wallet carried out front is maybe the only thing I have changed.

Sent from the GTA.

3. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

It's probably more based on personal preference. I can't imagine carrying more if I were to gain a bunch of weight. I carry a pretty minimal amount as it is and I am of a more stout/stocky and perhaps "cuddly" (if you ask my wife) frame. So likewise I can't see carrying less if I lost weight.

RoadWizard, kertap75 and sungame like this.
  4. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

I'm short and 158. Gave up wearing watches in high school. Looking at the Sun is good enough for govt work. No other adornments.
    Only carry the wallet when I go shopping. EDC is off body except for a knife. I just don't like a lot of :censored: weighing me down. I don't even shoulder "the bag" that much.
    I work from home which attributes to my minimalism off home plate. Guess I'll never make Uber Prepared unless I make it back to the truck in time before "they" catch me.

5. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

5'10" 145 and am not bothered by my usual, which is a Gshock, thin leather wallet, knife, Fenix PD32UE or JETbeam RRT01.
    I have to be a bit more discerning with a sidearm and its holster, though.

6. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Bulking up on the gear hoping that the extra work dragging it around will help me slim down. :D

tmedina, RoadWizard, kertap75 and 6 others like this.
  7. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

Built in weight lifting :)

tmedina, microbe, bzimmerly and 2 others like this.
  8. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

I'm fluffy :) and I'm not sure if that defines my carry style on its own but body type definitely affects the way I carry. I have sloped shoulders, so shoulder bag carry is a bit of a challenge.

I carried a large Domke satchel full of cameras for over a decade as a PJ, I transitioned to a harness system and it was a godsend for the knees and back. When I do carry a bag now with I try to use a slim, lightly loaded messenger bag, strap long across the chest, bag tucked slightly above elbow height, weak side.

I try to keep everything else on body to maximize mobility (I'm in and out of the car, walking around factories all day), knife and wallet, RF pants pocket, keys, smartphone, bic lighter & yoyo, LF pants pocket, back pockets empty. Pen & penlight, shirt pocket. Notepad, extra writing implements, bizcards, ruler, Spartan folder, in hand. Extra crap in jacket pockets. When I need PPE, I wear it on body, safety lock on belt at right hip, bump cap threaded through hasp, glasses on forehead, hearing protection on a string around my neck, kevlar sleeves bunched up like wristbands.

I'll occasionally carry a neck knife/zebralight combo outside work hours, I wear it outside my shirt. I also have a beltpouch for frequently used tools. When I carry a fixie it's on belt, right hip.

Cheers, Ted

Last edited by Ted Andkilde, Feb 2, 2014
    Lee Bradbury likes this.
  9. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

I am just over 6ft and on the cuddle side, my EDC won't change either way, I just carry it smarter, I currently have a LM Surge in a Skinth Plus sheath with the following - LM Micra, 21 Bit card, bit extender, Led Lenser P3, LM Brewzer, and Surge diamond file this is around 20oz on my right hip. I wear Hard Yaka black pants that has extra pockets I carry my Note 3 FLP, leather wallet main FRP, FRP Bottom more of a smart phone pocket under the main FRP has my Personal GS4 and a Samsung Pen. BRP has my LM Sidekick, BLP has a microfibre cleaning cloth, the FLP cargo under the main pocket nothing yet may have my work Thumb drive and micro USB adaptor.

I am getting a Skinth Magnum so more will go in to that sheath like the Sidekick (side tube), Fenix E12 (other side tube - Replacement for the P3) TEC Centipede, county comm pocket pry bar, Uzi tactical pen, black sharpie (modified Magnum with two pen slots at the back sides) , if it will fit the Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 and where the Sidekick was in my BRP an Ontario Rat M2 black.

So that's my main EDC I carry what I need..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Xiii likes this.
  10. The British Are Coming

The British Are Coming Loaded Pockets

I'm 6'5" and a tub of lard, so I figure the extra weight of my EDC isn't a big deal at all.

11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

For me it wouldn't matter, I carry what I need and use, that ain't gonna change if I lose weight/change shape. :cool: dealing with it is a frame of mind, based on knowing what I need and use...

I'm currently 6' 4" and approx 290, with a med. sized spare tire round my middle. I only look to be about 240 though; just big framed so the weight wears well.

((although I've found that weight has verry little to do with build; I've been around 290 to 310 for a 15 years, even after dropping 12" from my pants size(down to 42 now) and going down 3 or 4 shirt sizes, my weight is the same... muscle weighs more than fat, and I gain muscle as I lose fat... so, no matter what I do, I can't actually lose any weight. In perfect condition, I doubt I'd be under 250. :rolleyes:))

But anyway,
    I think its more about personal comfort with things you carry or wear, than anything.
    Kinda like being claustrophobic... It ain't gonna matter if your a 2' 50 lb pigmy, or 9' 400lb giant, being locked in a closet is gonna bug the snot out of you! ;) What bugs you, bugs you.

Also maybe muscle strength/stamina/agility... You can be big and heavy/fluffy and still be at peak strength, or slim and trim, and still ''out of shape'' and get fatigued from no muscle stamina when carrying weight that isn't your own... But even with more strength, all your gonna do is hold up 5 lbs of junk gear in your pockets easier for longer... if it bugs you having it there, its gonna bug you either way.

I have had problems with my general shape; being somewhat rounded instead of slim/flat built; Being curvier makes it hard to comfortably wear a gun, and hide it against the curve around my middle. ;)

it seems to me that smaller guys deal with carrying the bulk of a gun easier. I know of some guys that are 5'8" and 130lbs, they look like a freaking bean stalk AND they find room to CCW a full size 1911, or a large frame revolver! and hide it Perfectly. :frantic: I have 3 times as much real estate to work with and can't find a way to hide Any gun, even carried the same way in the same place/space... :unsure: :confused:

RoadWizard, kertap75 and bzimmerly like this.
  12. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

5'6" and a bit chubby round the middle all i ever carry in my pants are back right pocket=wallet. Front right pocket=loose change. Front left pocket=phone. Thats it everything else goes in my moab 10. Have always hated lots of stuff in pockets and have never done the "hanging stuff off clips on belt jeans etc

13. gdanonym

gdanonym Loaded Pockets

Well i can tell from someone who has more weight (not to much, but still a belly, 182cm, 105kg). Having something heavy on the belt, feels like your pants is throwing down and fall. Because the belt has the size of the belly and not the hips (and :censored:).
    I do keep it really minimalistic. But also i want to have the most important stuff on my body. Like keys (to get into my house) and wallet (to get home) in the front pocket.
    Further a Vic Executive and a handkerchief (because i use these so much). The rest in a little shoulder bag.

14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I am a rather tiny guy (5'4" and 138 lbs), and, although I do not consciously let that dictate what I carry, it might have an impact on how I carry it.

As many of you know, I have a rather minimalist approach to EDC. The only stuff I actually carry on body every single day is stuff I use at least every other day. I doubt that would be different if I were bigger.

However, I quite often carry more stuff,on everyting from train journeys and air travels to skiing and reportage trips. On these occasions, I normally prefer a backpack. I am not sure, but this might be in part because I am rather small. Even though I am pretty strong for my weight, I am obviously not nearly as strong as a 6'+ quarterback, to say the least. A good backpack makes it a lot easier to carry something heavy. Also, not being overly cushioned may make carrying heavy loads in one strap bags less comfortable. I don't know. Although my physical shape has fluctuated quite a bit over the years, I've never been very well upholstered.

kertap75 likes this.
  15. Dilla

Dilla Loaded Pockets

I don't know if it is my size or not, but I feel like a pack mule with anything more than a knife on me. I do know that at 6' 2" and 155 pounds, wearing a gun anywhere feels impossible. I can see a bulge no matter where I try to put it...regardless of make. I can't tell you how many guns I have bought and sold over the years because I just don't carry them. I also hate carrying a bag around. I am tweaking a get home bag now...which I want to be in an Altoid can. But with a 20 mile commute, that is a battle that I won't be able to win due to the true needs (water straw, extra clothing, etc.). I hated carrying stuff at 185 pounds as well so I guess it is just me hating the inconvenience of toting convenience. This is one reason I have never adopted the multi tool and stuck with SAK's...which I have carried in one variant or another for quite some time. To me they feel much smaller and lighter. The smaller multi tools that match the SAK's lighter weight seem useless in terms of what they are offering to me.It may also be the heat around here (Memphis, TN area where the humidity is high)...although it is cold as s*^% right now and I am begging for sweaty pits.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  16. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

Taking the question quite literally, yes.
    Having knives/lights/etc that are long and narrow on my belt or sticking up out of my pocket can be very uncomfortable when sitting, especially in a vehicle when a seatbelt is strapping it in. The wider you are, the narrower the seat feels :)
    Just because it isn't the sharp end doesn't mean it won't feel like it's stabbing you in the gut.

17. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

It seems body shape dictates these "EDC Carry Issues" more than weight.

Dilla seems to be in the same boat as I... anything more than a knife, or small multitool, and I feel annoyed. Not encumbered just mad that it is present. I have no issues carrying heavy things, logs, equipment, backpacks, etc. But if it is "hooked" or "hung" on me, it gets put away appropriately...

It's always warm here, so again, that may be it, as well. My longer/lankier frame seems to not like anything "sticking out". Concealed Carry is/would be impossible unless it was a pea shooter. I might as well hit 'em with a big rock instead, at that point. 8)

Great responses!

kertap75 likes this.
  18. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm six two and two hundred sixty pounds. (I haven't gotten on a scale in years, but I did it for you all just now) I think that carry preference probably has more to do with clothing style and fit then weight. In the last 10 years I've been between about 240 and 300 pounds. And even though I have no qualms about buying a$150 knife when I have the disposable income I hate, and I mean really hate spending money on clothing. So I have some very slim jeans from my brief time under 250 and some jeans that see way too big for be from the couple of years I spent in the 300 range. I find that when wearing the too big or too small pants I carry less because it gets uncomfortable. I carry the most in the pants that fit me best.

Another factor could be that over weight people tend to wear baggy, concealing clothing. Skinnier people, especially those feeling good because they just lost weight, tend to wear less baggy clothing. Not only does this limit space but also makes things in your pockets stand out more.

19. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a skinny guy. My edc does not bother me at all, and I am not carrying ultralight ti gear? The purpose of my EDC is to get me trough the DAY. How much can that weigh?

20. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Only thing that I'm really bothered by is that appendix carry is a no-go for me...

Friggin spare tire's got to go first!

AK Adventurer likes this.