1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does your employer have crazy, impractical rules?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Swedish169, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Primed

Primed Loaded Pockets

Well put Temujin... Communication is key, and all to often not shared with the proper people.

2. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

There is a reason electric hair driers have warnings on the wire against using the device in the shower.

Our society tends to be reactionary and litigious, this is often the reason for our poor rules.

xbanker and Rev. Chuck like this.
  3. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

And regrettably getting stupider. Common sense is too uncommon.

4. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

How about the infamous warning on the cups of McDonald's coffee. <insert facepalm>

5. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Actually, that's not a "face palm" moment at all. Conservative Talk Radio made a big deal out of it, especially Rush Limbaugh, but the fact of the matter is, McDonald's was advertising free refills on their coffee and the woman who sued them, through (legal) discovery found through internal memos that McDonald's decided to have the increased business of offering free refills on coffee while trying to discourage people from obtaining it by making the coffee extremely hot. As in boiling hot. It's 8:30 A.M. right now. I just made coffee in my coffee maker here at home. It is not boiling hot when it is fresh brewed, it will not damage me if I spill it on myself. I have spilled it directly on my hand in the past in a sleepy fog. Hahaha!

This woman suffered some fairly serious burns because McDonald's wanted to make some more money. They created a public safety problem with a little bit of corporate greed. Yes, corporate greed. It exists. This is just one example of it. It's not so cut and dry as simply portraying this woman as an idiot, as many people in talk radio did, because she was severely burned by a beverage that should have never been that hot to begin with. If it were as hot as a regular home coffee maker that everyone is used to handling, the whole thing might not have ever happened. SO...the warning on those cups IS accurate and relevant. It does warn people and it's a valid warning because McDonald's coffee is, in fact, hotter than what you brew at home and are usually accustomed to.

6. HybridMomentsPass

Hot Coffee - its a documentary, watch it, lots of information on that incident
    McDonalds were in the wrong, the warnings now are just trying to cover their asses, its understandable.

7. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Thats ridiculous. Some rules are pretty stupid where I work. The one that bothers me the most is that we have to use these stupid saftey box cutters:

EasyCut Box Cutter

We're not allowed to have knives because, according to my ignoramus boss, "they are illegal". I love how the :censored:s decide to make up their own rules. Guess that makes the Criminal Code of Canada, all of the 7 RCMP officers, and 4 OPP officers I talked too wrong then.

Regardless, I carry a knife on my person every day, and refuse to use the box cutter, unless customers are around, and I feel using my knife is unsafe. I use a Cold Steel Mini tuff lite for general tasks, and something else(Manix 2, Tenacious, ZT 0350, etc) for other tasks. Also, the produce staff are allowed to carry(and conceal, which is against the law) their paring knives.

Ugh.

8. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Like they said before, it all comes down to liability, I have a small business and we employ 15 persons, we have a mandatory safety equipment rule in place, we provide all equipment, from safety boots to ear plugs, there's no excuse for our employees for not using it, it doesn't cost them a penny, and still we have people not wearing it, in case of an accident makes me responsible or them, and a lawsuit is a thing that could close my business down and put 14 people out of a job.

When it comes to knives, we go by state rules, if it's legal in CA, you are more than welcome to carry it, and use it.

This is an interesting comment, and part of why I started a business, like a lot of people I didn't agree with some of the rules from my employers, but they were their rules, now that I have my business, I get it, if you don't want to follow the rules, you don't need to work here, as per stupid the rules might be, they are still the rules.

9. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

It is a rule made by him, it is not stated in our handbook, and the union allows knife carry(I've talked to 2 union reps about it already). If it was written in the handbook, it would be a different story. We're talking about a made up rule. Its ridiculous that he allows the produce staff to use a knife, and illegally conceal them, but he wont let the grocery staff use a folding knife. This is a guy who comes to work late every day, takes 2+ hour breaks, when he is only allowed 45 minutes total, and tells everyone else to do stuff for him, then complains. Rules are made to be broken anyways. I follow the law(generally), not stupid rules at work.
    ;)

10. Condition1

Condition1 Loaded Pockets

it is only going to get worse.

i have not seen rules like these in my union yet. we only have to wear metatarsal boots in places like steel mills, where you probably should be wearing them.

11. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Everything is getting worse. The only light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming our way. The only good things in life we find in family, friends and like minds on forums like this. Enjoy it, they don't like this medium and have been trying to figure out for quite a few years how to shut it down when it "goes too far" in their opinion.

12. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I'm going to have to put all you guys on the no fly list now. :stomp:

13. Signmaker

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

Concealing a paring knife is illegal up there? Yeesh. I'll never understand why you guys have near-UK knife laws, yet still get to have the cool rifles and shotguns.

14. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Concealing any knife is illegal.
    I think our knife laws are pretty good. Gun laws suck. It would be nice to be able to carry a firearm.

15. jcc

jcc Banned

You are a man of integrity! I would love to have you work for me. I would be able to trust that the money I'm investing into you is worthwhile. That by paying you to do the job how I want it, that the job will be done correctly, and how I want it.

16. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

For the record, I do my job properly, and better than anyone else at the store. Thats why I have been working there for longer than anyone. Keep in mind the owner refreshes the staff every 3-5 months. I use my knives because I can get the work done more efficiently and effectively. Just because I dont follow the rule my boss decided to make up, doesnt mean I dont work hard, & properly.

17. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

No knives allowed, but we have ready access to precision screwdrivers over 5 inches long, ice pickish in design. No cell phones or recording devices (USB) but i have access to email..and I use thumbdrives all day long for testing units (applications and moies/music). Gotta walk through the meta detector in and out of the building, so pockets empty, everything metallic in the bucket..

18. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

That's basically what any good employee should be doing.

19. jcc

jcc Banned

I agree. To say that you do your job properly, but then go on to admit that you don't follow the rules your bosses have laid out for you and say that 'rules are meant to be broken' seem like contradicting statements. I'm sure this guy is under them impression his **it doesn't stink, too.

20. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I walk a fine line and I can do that with basic impunity because my employer doesn't micromanage me...tell me what kind of pants to wear, FFS. :::rollingeyes::: You know, when I go to the doctor or dentist, I don't care what kind of pants he has on...I'm sort of relieved that he has some on, to be sure, but what type he has on, I couldn't care less about. You know what I look for? How clean his labcoat/smock is. That I am intensely interested in. Especially after reading a study in The Lancet or another professional medical journal that over 50% of doctors polled admitted they didn't have labcoats/smocks for daily wash and wear...most of them admitted they wore the same one for hours every day for weeks on end. THAT is what I look at.

"Rules are rules" seems after careful consideration, in my view, to simply be as mindless as, "rules were meant to be broken." The parallel is "the law is the law" so, these things get taken to an extreme and then the other extreme is to totally throw the baby out with the bathwater and disregard things out of hand which is not a wise path, either. Like everything in life, you have to strike a balance.

keith1234 likes this.