1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does this scream mall ninja?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Cages2Clouds, Jun 30, 2016.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

:rofl:

Dustin.G likes this.
  2. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

That's hilarious. What's even funnier, and I have a hard time not "grinning like horse eatin briers", is seeing that in an airport.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Thanks all. This thread has made me laugh out loud!!:D

Holliday likes this.
  4. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

This also touches one of those occasions Europe and pretty much the rest of the World has an upper hand. State-side you can don a pair of $10 used ACU UCPs you picked at your local mil-surp store and almost instantly be labeled by a majority of city dwellers and passers-by as a combat wannabe, mall ninja, Walter Mitty or even worse - a redneck.

Walk the streets of Europe in a pair, roll up the cuffs to show your latest 6" black Timberland boots and - wow, an instant fashion statement - you get the looks for sure and this time they're mostly positive.

It happened to me however - I wore a pair of my camo cargo combats with a Napapijri hoodie and my black Timberlands in both Berlin and Budapest last year and got approached by many asking me where did I get them from and if I'd be willing to sell them.

Over in the States it didn't even slip my mind to wear this combo, I only wore the combat pants while trekking and hiking outdoors.

In US, it's got to do a lot with omni-presence and availability, perception of a uniform in general, and the fact these are actually pieces of a uniform worn by active US military forces - a very sensitive topic of recent years.

Last edited by babola, Jul 2, 2016
  5. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I don't know, I think when it comes to pants, pretty much only khakis should ever be in that color. I have tan jeans, but they're a little darker and have that denim texture, you know? Makes it look a lot less tacticool. Personally, I don't care for 5.11 style pants. I hate vertical-cut pockets—can't use a suspension clip for my keys

As for the shoes, you could make those work but all-black isn't the best look unless you're wearing actual boots. I probably wouldn't pair them with the pants. :)

Holliday likes this.
  6. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I think the khaki color has a lot to do with the look. That's the color (or very similar) contractors are wearing, as seen in the 5.11 tuxedo. I think you can tone the mall ninja vibe down if you either went with hikers with the khaki pants or jeans with the black Magnums

Holliday likes this.
  7. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Lol...yeah, some gems in this thread, for sure. But we didn't even address those furry jackets yet...
    *Apologies in advance to MinistryOfTruth :p

What mall ninjas see when they put on a Shag Master Hoodie:

Triple-Aught-Design-Shag-Master-Hoodie.png

What everyone else sees...

mallninjashagmaster.jpg

OR...

skinnedmuppet.jpg

Thankfully, the Tactical Hipster hasn't caught on....yet!

image.png

8. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

I wear those pants with boots when I work outdoor and in rough condition. I find them comfortable while traveling also. As of going to the mall or other public place, I thought it would draw unwanted attention. I wondered what someone in law enforcement would think. Do they assume I'm one of them? Do they look for possible conceal violation? I prefer to blend in and not stick out like a sore thump in any situation.

9. UmbertoTortallini

Dying of laughter right now...

Holliday and malraux72 like this.
  10. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I don't think those furry jackets are necessarily tacticool, useless emblazoned with skull patches. Patagonia has been making furry synchilla jackets for years. Just stay away from a "furry" convention.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  11. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

^ This.

There definitely seems to be a difference between US and Europe here, I've worn 5.11 and similar pants on and off for years and it's simply not a problem. There's plenty of cargo pants (and shorts) on men and women of different ages and walks of life and not once have I heard (or got) a comment on me or others wearing them.

12. Zirk208

Zirk208 Loaded Pockets

My mother warned me about mixing khaki pants and black shoes. Fashion faux pas level 10.

13. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Yup! Desert colored boots are more tacticool. LOL!

malraux72 likes this.
  14. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

I might look like a depressed moss-person wearing it but even this guy knows that

[​IMG]

Last edited by MinistryOfTruth, Jul 7, 2016
    malraux72 and Holliday like this.
  15. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I'm not old enough to remember the attire of our former troops that returned from the 2nd great war; however, I do remember those returning from the Korean Conflict. Men's clothing fashion back then centered on the traditional two-button suit or sport coats and tailored slacks for those that had the wherewithal to afford them. Blue-collar attire encompassed the pleated trouser, a less-structured button-down solid-colored shirt, and the waist-length coat. Those found to have worn green military-style garments as defacto civilian work wear did so while in occupations in automobile service, food service, and various and sundry other professions that did not require any established or implied dress code. VERY few, if any, particularly in urbanized residential areas, braved undermining cold-war Eisenhower-esque societal sensibilities that by and large precluded reminders of wartime that this country had so embarked to forget.

The next decade was more about counter-culture & the undermining of those same morays so vigorously buttressed in the 1950s. The mid though the late 1960s was more about objecting to this country's military involvement in certain areas of the world as illustrated in the army-navy surplus attire often embellished with symbolism fraught with non-GI-issue colors and symbolism in diametrical opposition to military standards.

As the 1970s emerged, the army field jacket began to appear on those retuning from Southeast Asia outside of military installations & mixed with civilian attire. The Hollywood feature film "The Deer Hunter" somehow made that garment acceptable in the general public. Soon after, Sylvester Stallone's John Rambo wore that same jacket as a down & out vet; but it was not yet haute couture.

It wasn't until the late 80s that garment makers began their trial foray into this product group that most big-label brands by & large still considered a fashion faux pas. It took much-ballyhooed Hollywood major feature film offerings capitalizing on the popularity of SEAL this, special forces that to launch the juggernaut that constitute the underpinnings of this fashion trend.

The "mall ninja" phenomenon culminated from the popular media; most-especially from the imagery of heavily-embelished heroism depicted in celluloid wherein the stoic protagonist enlists, among several other things, the advancements in modern conventional weaponry. A defacto by-product is the attire that evolved into a stylized caricature with roots in the pragmatism of battlefield requirements. It is now a fashion category appealing largely to a market segment populated by those enthralled with the style of the military but not the very substance of wartime that most actual vets would really rather not remember.

Last edited by 0dBm, Jul 8, 2016
  16. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

The ubiquitous "mall ninja". We don't have shopping malls in Australia. We call them shopping centers. Although we did have something similar to a "mall ninja" tramping through the Australian Outback hunting with a handgun and a camera crew to record it for posterity. That Thompson guy from CSI.

17. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

So, Aussies have Centre Ninjas? They must have a Ninja Center, unseen, but heavily armed.

malraux72 and Fire Fighter like this.
  18. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer...

19. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

Looks like the uniform I'm issued at work.

I've been known to wear the pants around with an untucked t-shirt and a pair of black and white checkered vans. That combo is known as super-tactical-skater-hater-stealth.

That said, I like wearing khakis and have a few pairs of Hagar pants that I wear with various shoes and button ups (long and short sleeved) when not at work.

20. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

As to my observation, people with cotton-style pants and unicolored "walking shoes" (somewhere between running and outdoor shoes) are really common sight in the US. It guess it really depends where you live. If you overdo it you end up looking dorky to most people.
    (No more bum bag and hiking cargo pants, I quit fighting my GF on that one :D )