1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does Spyderco make a spring-assist flipper?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Matthew Hess, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Spyderco has never made an assist knife. They do make a few flippers. All are good, but none are great. I really like the heavy mod version of the Southard made by Kevin Smock (formerly Bower Bladeworks) called the Mini Southard. Its pricey, though.

The BM300 has really horrendous action. The problem is that the Axis lock riding on the tang of the blade creates a lot of resistance AND there is virtually no way to do a real detent.

The Skyline is an excellent flipper, with really good action. I also like the Kizer Ki3404-3--titanium handles, great flipper action, and super nice steel for $130. The G10 Cryo is a super sweet little blade if you absolutely must have an assist. The problem with assists is threefold in my mind--first, and most importantly, a well designed manual is insignificantly slower; second, the action can cause legal problems by less than knowledgeable authorities that do not know the difference between assisted openers and switchblades (I have actually had some cases involving this issue); and third, the assist is another part that can break/fail/cause problems. Avoid assists.

It sounds like you need a Skyline.

2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

The skyline is a great little flipper. I wish they still offered it in S30V! AAAH! BHQ Does have them in S30V!!!:frantic:Not for an exciting price, though :( I could get an EDCF Manix 2XL and a regular skyline for that! And I have! :D Sorry for the stream of consciousness post.
    Anyway, the skyline is decent, but not assisted. I haven't tried the Cryo, but I trust the reputation it's built among others on this forum. I've just stopped buying knives that aren't a CPM or similar steel (by which I mean I only have one incoming ATM ;) ), and for that, you're mostly right--they start at a hundred.

The S30V versioin of the Kershaw blur is one exception. I didn't mention it before because it has a thumb stud. I haven't tried it myself because I've never liked the grip-tape feel of the blur's handle. As far as I can tell, though, it's the least expensive S30V folder available, and it is spring assisted.

I stand by my recommendation, though, of an S30V spring assisted Buck flipper -- the paradigm pro or the vantage force pro. If I were looking for a knife with the exclusions you've mentioned, one of these would be my choice.

Idox likes this.
  3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you need a knife opened quickly, I think the waved Spydercos open more quickly than a spring-assisted knife.

On a side note, I've never cared for spring-assisted opening. To me, it seems like the blade swinging open and clunking into place sort of unsettles the knife in my hand. Of course, most of my experience has been with Kershaw knives, which have a light handle and heavy blade.

kertap75 and Adahn like this.
  4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Some of the nicest designs still available from KAI are the Knockout and Piston (for flipper / assisted). I have a few Kershaws and after handling the Spec Bump (which I despised) it has become a favorite flipper/assisted knife.

Of course there is the DDR Gun hammer. That is a nice flipper/assisted too.

5. LordByron

LordByron Loaded Pockets

I'd take umbrage with the statement that none of the Spydie flippers are great. I've got a Dice and it is not only one of the best flippers I've ever handled, but it probably one of my favorite production knives of all time. It is a fantastic knife. Great ergos, great fit and finish, and very much with at least what I consider to be the perfect EDC size range.

Obviously opinions like this are highly subjective, but the Dice scores pretty darn high at the top of my list of great production knives.

6. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

They do make a couple automatics though.....

Idox likes this.
  7. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I think the Dice and the Domino are good knives but they have only decent flipping actions. The best production flipper I have ever used was the ZT0454. It has such a dialed in detent and flipper tab geometry it's impossible to misfire. Dropping down in price, both the Brous Bionic and the Kizer Ki3403 have clearly superior flipping compared to any Spyderco. I think the Dice is a great knife, but considering only as a flipper, there are better out there.

Idox likes this.
  8. LordByron

LordByron Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I have not tried a truly wide variety of flippers, so I guess my basis for comparison is relatively limited, but the action on my Dice is silky smooth and I've not had a single misfire in the time I've had it and it feels smoother than any of the other flippers I've tried. I've tried several ZTs and while I was generally impressed by the knives, did not find them to be better than the Dice, at least by my subjective tastes. Never tried the Bionic or the Ki3403, though. May have to give them a whirl. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk... Typos guaranteed!

9. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

Probably one of if not thee best flipper Spyderco makes is the BBS exclusive Domino, absolutely smooth as glass, lightening fast action and a perfect detent, if you haven't tried this one your missing out.

Idox likes this.
  10. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Especially when you get some corrosion in the path area that slows it down or it only opens half-way. Had to lube up my Benchmade assisted opener. Love the design but think this will be my last assisted opening knife. It's more of a novelty than a luxury IMHO.

11. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I am personally looking forward to trying out the new Positron when I can get my hands on one somewhere. I'm thinking a flipper-only oughta have some improvement, and it's just beautiful anyways.

12. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Kershaw 1776 Link assisted.
    Like it just fine.

13. dghboy

dghboy Empty Pockets

Spyderco is coming out with a beautiful Positron Flipper. Check it out it is on my next knife list.

14. GearGuy69

GearGuy69 Loaded Pockets

Yeah the 300 is a sweet blade i've held one at a knife show and it's pretty nice

15. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I think I can help everyone in this thread with the flippers. I was in the local outdoors store I hit up(Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL, best knife selection in greater Birmingham) when I can to handle(fondle?) the knives and we were talking about flippers and pull vs push button and which is better, and a guy who works in medicine(MD? nurse? Dunno) told us that the best way to use a flipper is to hold the knife upside down so the blade is swinging directly up with your hand, wrist, and arm all lined up with your hand palm up. Imagine picking up a weight with your hand palm down and compare to palm up. Palm up lines up the muscles and tendons so that you get better pull from your fingers and after trying out several knives both ways today I can absolutely tell a difference. I wasn't super happy with the flipper on the Spyderco Southard and now I think it was my fault. I can even tell a difference with my beater knife, which is a Kershaw Oso Sweet and is an assist knife.
    Try it out both ways if you have a flipping knife and tell me you don't see a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. dghboy

dghboy Empty Pockets

I conquer with farnorthdan, the Spyderco Domino is currently Spydercos best flipper. I own the blue carbon and like it a ton. However so far the looks of the new Positron are appealing. I look forward to one of those .

dplafoll likes this.
  17. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Ditto on all that. I wish I could afford a Domino(and that I didn't want or already had 2 or 3 Spydies before that). I might just have to pull the trigger(maybe for Christmas) on that Positron though. That thing is just beautiful, and relatively affordable in general, especially for a Spyderco collaboration.

18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I could live without assisted opening for all but the largest and heaviest blade flippers I have. An example would be my ZT0303...I wouldn't want that knife without the assisted opening, even though it could be taken out and flipped manually. The blade is just too heavy and would take too much force to reliably flip open every time. Spyderco's flippers all use bearing pivots anyway so once the motion is initiated they fly open.

19. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I have found that larger blades flip faster/easier than smaller ones, my ZT 0200 and Dendra Tiger Jump both flip very fast without any assist.