1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does Spyderco make a spring-assist flipper?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Matthew Hess, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Matthew Hess

Matthew Hess Loaded Pockets

Once again... living in my own personal vacuum of time and space I've never handled a spring-assist.

I can say I'd prefer a flipper vs. a thumb stud, since I'm generally not a fan of the thumb stud opening.

So I'm wondering now that I've experienced this and exhausted a search on Blade HQ... does Spyderco make a spring-assist knife?

I'm not a fan of ZT knives... personally I feel like their ergos/asthetics are fat looking for a lack of better terms. That and they seem like a more mass-produced Strider knock-off. I could be way off on that though.

I saw a couple Kershaws that were ok looking, but the price point immediately make me doubt they're of any quality. ($40-ish for a Cryo?). I'm not a knife snob (at least I don't think I am), but I feel like anything of reasonable quality is going to end up having a starting price of around $100. Again, I could be way off on this statement.

Overall, though, none of the designs I saw really impressed me much.

Shike likes this.
  2. OK_Lee

OK_Lee Empty Pockets

What will be your primary use? I carry a Kershaw Zing ($20-$30) and I really like it. Of course, my primary use is opening packages and occasionally cutting twine, cord, rope, etc.

I, too, am a big fan of the flipper deployment.

3. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

If you like a flipper and like spyderco, I would suggest the domino...It is not spring assisted, but it doesn't need to be! I am not an expert, but you can read up on it, but it has very fast deployment. I prefer it over any of the spring assisted knives I have.

4. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

To answer your question, Spyderco doesn't make any assisted open knives (has to do with Sal's philosophy or something). They do make some flippers, the Southard and the Domino come to mind and there probably are others, I'm not a big Spyderco fan (I do have a couple though) so I'm not up on all their models.
    As to all the other statements you made, I am not sure where you are heading with your comments. Are you looking for input on a new knife or something?

5. Matthew Hess

OK_Lee... mostly the same as you.... opening packages, cutting rope and zip ties, etc. What I would consider light duty.

SMAL... I saw both the Southard and the Domino... If the Domino came in G10/steel for a lower price point I'd consider it. CF, IMHO, seems to be an over-priced option for any knife. The Southard is also a bit out of my price range. I'm not looking for spend more than $120-ish. Looks like it's back to the Native V for me. :)

Is there such a thing as a flipper that isn't a liner or frame lock?

Hangman... too bad Sal doesn't like spring assist. I can see the potential issue if you have to deal with broken springs all the time, but doesn't Spyderco make an auto knife? Any idea what the conflict is with his philosophy?

6. CardsNation

CardsNation Loaded Pockets

Benchmade makes a flipper and has their axis lock. I think it's the 300

GearGuy69 and Hangman like this.
  7. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

he never said he didn't like spring assist, but he has stated in another forum that he left that market to Kershaw

Matthew Hess likes this.
  8. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Spring assist and thumb hole don't really play well together. Spyderco does make some autos, but they have to deal with a lot of red tape due to the local laws in Colorado, so they are Restricted items, not for general distribution. Those same laws may well interfere with manufacturing and marketing assisted openers. It is also quite possible that Sal agrees with me that spring-assisted opening is a gimmick that his knives don't need.

SMAJ likes this.
  9. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

Might I ask why you're looking for a spring assist? A simple "I just want one" is perfectly acceptable, I'm just curious if there is more too it. I had a couple different spring assisted knives over the years.. One I gave away and the other I de-assisted. Spring assisted knives in my opinion are wonky. They aren't as smooth as a quality built flipper or auto and they have an odd pressure point prior to their deployment that isn't felt with a nice detent.

Just my personal feeling, I'm sure some may disagree though.

Adahn likes this.
  10. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

The Rubicon is also a flipper, out of the three spydie flippers I have, the BBS 204P Domino is by far the fastest, then the Rubicon with the southard bringing up the rear.

Idox likes this.
  11. Matthew Hess

I don't think it's a gimmick... not that I've ever owned one.
    I think the "fixed blade" locking mechanism in a CRKT M16 is a gimmick.
    The launch assist on a Leatherman Crater is a gimmick.

12. Matthew Hess

Oh man... I almost wish I didn't see that... my list just got another knife longer. Wish it was a spring-assist, but even not I still want it. Love the sand G10 scales and stonewash finish.

13. DevotedD84

DevotedD84 Loaded Pockets

Spring assist knives are fun, yes. IMO, using the Spydie Hole effectively is almost as quick if not quicker than deploying the flip mechanism on a spring assist. I got rid of my Cryo and Leek when I realized that the mechanism sticks or gets stuck when the knife is wet or has a little dirt in the mechanism. In contrast, I can flip open a Delica or Sage with no issues.
    But.....I do agree that a spring assist Spydie would be pretty interesting.

14. Hertz33

Hertz33 EDC Junkie!!!

I'va had a Kershaw Nura 3.5. It's a KVT(Kershaw velocity technology) ball bearing flipper. Not assisted though but flips like a dream and realy fun. Sold it though to get higher end Spyderco's. But I sugest you try Nura 3.0, should be aroun $30. They built really well.
    There's a problem to get a flipper for that price range than not ZT I think.
    I used to like the Cryo(I have a G10 one) but not anymore.
    By the way I didn't quite got what price range you're talking about? And what knives do you own?

Idox likes this.
  15. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I like spring assist and can see the appeal. I carried a Kershaw Blackout for several years as my EDC knife, and it served me well. I don't care much for flippers, but the Cryo appears to be a good value, and might be worth looking into. My first Spyderco was the old clipit Rescue, whose heavy, sheepsfoot blade was quite easy to flick open. I accidentally tossed it from my hand doing so once or twice, though. Flipping open a Spyderco can be fast but not as positive or foolproof as a spring assist (Worth noting I did have a bit of pocket fuzz block my blackout from opening all the way once or twice, but that can happen to any knife). The Buck Paradigm and Vantage Force Pro are both US made assisted-opening flippers available in S30V! I haven't personally owned either of them (not a fan of flippers) but I do EDC a buck knife in S30V and absolutely love it.

Idox likes this.
  16. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Assisted I say only two good choices:
    Best - Benchmade
    Affordable - Kershaw

17. Matthew Hess

Hertz33
    (1) Price range of $120-ish.
    (2) Currently I carry a Leatherman Surge and a Leather Crater. The Crater is ok, but the "blade launcher" isn't consistent and I don't really like opening with the thumb stud. Seems like it needs a little too much push to get it going. I need to make some adjustments on it but I noticed if you loose the pivot too much the blade launch mechanism slips out of place.
    I also own a CRKT M16/M21, but they're currently living in another part of the world until I get back stateside.
    I tend to go through phases with what I'm buying/selling. I did a purge of most of my knives a couple years ago because they were sitting in my sock drawer and never being carried. I'm in the market again because I surf the internet too much and see too many things I need to have. :)

18. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I hear that. I also have an Amazon Prime membership and with that I get 2 day shipping so anything I want I order and the 2 days can't come fast enough.

19. Matthew Hess

I have Prime but it's really only good for the free shipping. I don't reap the benefits of faster shipping because of my remote location.

My Amazon wishlist is absurd!!

20. coprtoppe
    • In Omnia Paratus

coprtoppe Loaded Pockets

I have a blue BM 300. I have heard of some of them having a good action.
    But mostly I hear people with the same experience as mine.
    That the flipping action is mushy. I would say that is due to being
    combined with the Axis lock.
    Try one out in person first if possible

Matthew Hess likes this.