1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Use the Pokka Pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by qvxb, Jan 19, 2017.

1. qvxb

qvxb Loaded Pockets

RED-FIVE and chaosmagnet like this.
  2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I just read the review on these last night. I would like to try them, but it doesn't appear that they are available on the Pokka website, at least not at the moment. The reviews are recent, so maybe they will be in stock soon.

3. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Intrigued....

4. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

OK....I caved. Ordered and received a few of these. They provide a perfectly adequate, even unmemorable writing experience. But the form factor is the attraction.
    Think Fisher Bullet with a more secure, better posting cap. Nearly weightless too.
    Priced right, they arent heirlooms but ARE darn fine pocketable/backpackable/toolboxable/bugoutbaggable/Altoids tin-able/you-get-my-pointable/ inkpens.

Davidka, PiperCub49 and JeffVenture like this.
  5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I'd like to try one.

They look like they might be able to take a cut down BIC Crystal insert. Does it look like one might fit? Love those old Bics.

6. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Yes it looks very familiar...the Pokka has a finer point. My wife snagged one already and asked if they offer a medium point Pokka. Dont think so.

Promo code "edcf50" for ordering.

Last edited by Gogogordy, Apr 25, 2017
    #6 Gogogordy, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Bladerunner337 likes this.
  7. Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337 Loaded Pockets

Just discovered this brand last week, think I'll be ordering the outdoors pack and give em a try even though I love my Fisher bullet ;)

8. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I like my Fisher Bullet too....I also like the Pokka pens quite well, and for the price of 1 Fisher Bullet you can get 9 Pokka Pens!

Ive sent some to friends to glowing reviews.

Frankly, my Bullet hasn't seen much daylight since I started carrying the Pokka....

Bladerunner337 likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

This really is the first I've heard of this pen.

Granted it is priced less than the Fisher bullet pen. Although at the usual big box/Staples/Amazon pricing for the Fisher, it is hardly an expensive pen. But the pricing I see for the Pokka (with an admittedly cursory search on line), at about $3 ~$4 per pen doesn't work out to 9 Pokka pens for the price of 1 Fisher Bullet pen (Amazon for instance has the Fisher at $14 to $22 per pen for 'garden variety' finishes; I've bought them in the past for less than $18 at Staples).

Be that as it may, I submit the main attraction of the Fisher is the refill and the ink properties. Yes, writing at any angle, over grease, etc., are two of the attractive features. Writing on a wet surface is another.

For me however, the most attractive feature is that most pens I've left in a car year round tend to have trouble in temperature extremes. Leaks during the heat of summer (keep in mind a closed car gets REALLY hot!), refusing to write in the dead of winter. Never had any of these issues with any Fisher.

Plus I've never had a problem using a Fisher refill on coated paper (think Rite n the Rain...).

I expect I will be staying with Fisher. YMMV.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ecksdog, Tesla, chaosmagnet and 2 others like this.
  10. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The dead of winter in my neck means 60 degrees! Now the heat of summer is a different story but I keep my pens (Fisher Bullet, Zebra, Ohto Minimo, or Pokka on any given day) on my person and the Pokka, as well as discounted Zebra SL-F1 win the pocket carry test for me the best.

That said, in practical use writing on glass, upside down, or in the wet are the exceptions for most, not the rule and for that reason I think the Pokka fills a nice niche for people whom likley wouldnt spend the extra for a Pocketable FSP, unless of course they become so enamored with the form factor of the entry priced Pokka that the begin to widen their horizons and the FSP Bullet grabs their attention.

At the end of the day, for some the FSP's attraction is its ability to write in extremes, and Im not discounting that capability but for others it simply boils down to form factor and thats exactly the market for the Pokka.

11. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I just got an ad from Pokka Pens who have now have partnered with Rite in the Rain notebooks and have created some very cool Pokka-pen-with-notebook packages for little money.

I like my Pokka Pens and have them stashed in my car, bike bag, etc.

12. wvriverats

wvriverats Empty Pockets

I love them but can't wait for the Rite-in-the-Rain version to come back. When they do I'm buying 2 dozen!

ballistic likes this.
  13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I like ‘em. I have nicer pens for EDC, so the Pokkas are for gifts and kits.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  14. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Daily EDC. Small, light, durable, reasonably priced.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro